GWENT: THE WITCHER CARD GAME GOLD IMMUNITY UPDATE

+
scorba;n9408821 said:
some effects say "bronze" or "bronze or silver" card, so there are still less effects that affect gold cards than others.

I´m talking about immunity, those effects you are talking about aren´t nothing related to negative effects, except the new card Artefact compression. All other cards "Special" with negative effects affect gold cards.

WillDragon;n9406761 said:
If gold cards aren´t immune anymore to most of card effects, what makes the difference between them and silver cards?

Good point. Now Special card abusers and lazy thinkers are having a field day because no card is immune anymore. But I guess those lazy thinkers buy a lot of kegs and meteorite powder so CDPR gave them preference.

LordOcampo;n9413961 said:
Good point. Now Special card abusers and lazy thinkers are having a field day because no card is immune anymore. But I guess those lazy thinkers buy a lot of kegs and meteorite powder so CDPR gave them preference.

Are you serious? i dunno if you are just trolling or what, because your comment doesnt make sense, but not only you, also the other complaining about:

1. some cards were better before (like vabjorn, birna bran, etc) when they were actually never used in any deck...

2. some cards reworked when lets be honest, they were very toxic and needed a better way to play with them (like foglets, saskia, imperial golems, reaver hunters). This last one ppl already over-used him with operator, henselt, shani, nenneke, reinforcements, reaver scout... they dont even care what u play and was NON INTERACTIVE

3. more scraps for practically all the cards modified, which is crazy since CDPR is very generous: besides you get to choose one card, you get 1 keg guaranteed per day (sometimes 2 if you go for the 18 wins reward), we aready got a lot of rewards from the last season and the current placement! (e.g. i gor rewards for lv 19 and for being placed at 9 in this season, which is around ~25 kegs and ~1000 scraps...). Seroiusly, you can actually buy the starter pack or kegs practically to show appreciation to CDPR hard work rather than getting more cards.

If you still dont like it, go to hearthstone and try to get a decent collection as well as someone listen to your feedback about how frustrating the game is

So, after I checked all the cards, here are my impressions:
Gold cards, without immunity, are the same as Silver ones and in some cases worse because Silver cards can be used by some efects like recall them and gold ones can't.
Factions: I liked the changes and some of the new cards overall because they focused on some deck strategy, like Crew, Spying, Reveal, Discard, Boost, Damage, Strenghten, Dwarves, Move, Deathwish, etc.
I have a question about one card though, I don't quite understand its meaning: Assassin - damage enemies by 8 and then 8, what does this mean? I guess it means it damages 8 enemies by 1 and one random enemy by 8 or we pick two enemies and damage them both by 8? Someone who has this card and already used it can tell me please?

Last edited:
Saskia is a whole different card now but artwork... full return milling for it would be approptiate in my opinion.

Emm, can anyone explain me how to use Kambi now when gold cards arent immune anymore? Plus its working like before not like it says in new card description, Kambi is on timer not 'deathwish'

What's the point of gold cards then? Immunity was one of the main interests in gold cards' dynamics and now they're regular boring cards that can be both buffed and debuffed. Why not make most of the current gold cards just have Immune on them or something?
I really dislike this change because we've lost a very interesting feature of the game that contributed to me wanting to strategize, plan and even play the game. My brother asked whether he should also play the game and this time I can't really answer because I don't know if the game retains its strategy mind-games that I rooted for.
I never play the Monsters leader who can consume 3 cards but it's disappointing to even think about him being so vulnerable now.

EDIT: I've played the game more and read the other comments and I can say: I am happy that change is happening because it erased some of the most boring parts of the game but it sadly introduced a lot more bland cards that look like they matter because of all these IFs and crooks in their descriptions but they make it so that you read the cards in confusion, utterly bored by them, rather than playing actual cards, that would be interesting even with no effects. I am hopeful there will be more changes, the sooner, the better.

EDIT2: I wrote a post on reddit about why I liked the idea of having weaker (bronze) and stronger (gold) cards instead of having the ability of bronze beating gold.

Last edited:
Kakalukya;n9415691 said:
Saskia is a whole different card now but artwork... full return milling for it would be approptiate in my opinion.

I'm thinking about the same thing. But I guess that since Saskia was kinda buffed by this change, they can't offer full return milling for her. On the other side, removing "Orders" completely from the game kinda nerfs some cards because they used to come out of your deck as an additional card, not as one from your hand, making leaders like Eithne and John Calveit stronger when played.

So, this Saskia change is a bit of both: nerfed her being your 11th card in hand, buffed her a lot by making her 10 strength with that insane mill ability.
Still, it's already a blessing that they offer you full return milling for nerfed cards. If they would offer it for all changed cards, the system could be abused my never milling cards unless they give full value.

ThatScar;n9416681 said:
What's the point of gold cards then? Immunity was one of the main interests in gold cards' dynamics and now they're regular boring cards that can be both buffed and debuffed. Why not make most of the current gold cards just have Immune on them or something?

I watched the CDPR developer update video and I kinda understood where they're coming from: often times, luck decided the third round, and the player that drew golds kinda won against a player that drew reactive cards. Considering that cards dealing damage were present in almost all decks, the 3rd round of those matches where both players had 2-3 cards at most, was decided by the luck of the draw.
Ironically, this change buffed some gold cards like "Ragh Nar Roog", which now can force a pass out of you even if you have strong gold cards on the table (in cases when you can't clear it), unlike before the patch.

True, RNR got me once in round2 because i mulliganed grifin and my oponent was scoiatel

Maybe a rare trait that can exist on some cards: "Invulnerable: This card cannot be removed from the board by non-gold sources." Rare and reserved for when it is necessary for the card to make sense; some gold cards seem silly when they can just be casually popped now.

So maybe the unseen elder could have this; otherwise he's basically taking three of his units and putting them in one easily scorchable package... that's not an advantage in my mind.

I think Golds should at least get some Armor boost. At least by 4 per each. Especially those with ongoing effects. Perhaps weather immunities to some, Scorch immunities to others (Schirru), perhaps Bronze Spells immunities. This total vulnerability is making a huge percentage of them with lower value than some bronze cards.

partci;n9427961 said:
I think Golds should at least get some Armor boost. At least by 4 per each. Especially those with ongoing effects. Perhaps weather immunities to some, Scorch immunities to others (Schirru), perhaps Bronze Spells immunities. This total vulnerability is making a huge percentage of them with lower value than some bronze cards.

Yeah, that's along what I'm thinking. Gold cards could be assigned varying immunities on a case by case basis rather than just none at all or always immune to almost everything. Some need to be very hard to kill or they're not going to be very useful.

First of all I need to say that I love Gwent since the beta started and I was playing it almost every day. Thinkling about tactics, combination and changing between different playstyles is just exciting. Now with the update there are many new cards and a lot of changes coming in and I wanted to give it some time ( I know that just some days are passed, but I really wanted to write this comment). As we all know, changes doesn´t seem to be good playing the first time with them or, just like me, reading almost one hour in the cards section to understand and know every new card and those which hsa been changed.
My first impression of the update was: "wow", just amazing what has been released and how many new things are in the game. I was so happy to see that Gwent is making some steps forward and couldn´t wait to test it out. Knowing that gold cards were not longer immun against damage and basic cards I started playing and I recognized it´s a huge difference obviously, especially for the cards which doesn´t work during their first round; like succubus <3 and so I started changing my decks, even deleted some ´cause they don´t longer make sense. And there is the first point where I felt ...a little sad; what the hell happened with the monsters?! I loved playing with my wild hunt deck and now it has been nerved into oblivion. Caranthir is even as "bad" as the hound of the wild hunt and I´ve never has been able yet to use the effect of the succubus `cause it´s been destroyed in after the first round.... Skellige on the other hand has been buffed into walhalla, boosting each other and you can just revive them with their full strengh....(besides I´ve almost 2 decks for every faction). Nilfgaard as well became even stronger (what I really like, ´cause I love playing it and sometimes thought it´s a little bit to weak, but cmon; assassins who just kill almost every card? Don´t you think it´s quite op? Northern Kingdoms got another nerf, but I think their still strong enough to keep up with Skellige or Scoiatel. The most negative point with the update for me is that almost everyone is playing control decks now. Destroying the opposing card and hoping he is not destryoing the own ones.... Where are the completely different playstyles and tactics. Hope we´ll see some changes in the future ´cause I don´t want to play again and again against the same two factions where my cards get even faster destroyed as I can lay them down...
:sadtriss:

I'm glad that the succubus is more vulnerable now, but I feel bad for Kambi and Unseen Elder. (I haven't really used any of the three.)

Does it just me finding the game being dumbed down to extreme after this last update? I mean, common, all strategies are so obvious, and there is no really any way to counter them... Gold immunity made this game very interesting, with subtle nuisances and now every deck looks and plays the same.

Top Bottom