GWENT: THE WITCHER CARD GAME "AGILE" UPDATE IS NOW LIVE!

+
Good patch, agree with all changes but am confused why an already imo op card like Dijkstra would receive a buff. He can already pull two cards, which can just be ridiculous since he's rarely used first round and can insta-lock a gg in last if there is a low card hand in play. I have a feeling that decision will be reversed, but maybe he was buffed to make up for the nr nerf (which was much needed imo)

So, random comment from a scrub who's played a while;

Seriously, what's with everything being agile. When I started playing months ago, agilie was a bonus, something either needed by the card to function well (anti-weather guys, some buffers, etc), but perhaps 20% of your units had it. Now, nearly everything appears to be Agilie, while fixed row characters are an extreme rarity among cards. Even when it's extremely counter intuitive, you slap swift on as a default without thinking (agile catapaults? Agile heavy fighters?). The ability to be swift really should be looked at, both to fit theme and only given when it's needed by a mechanic (Frost Giant, Frightener, etc). This limitation was interesting from deck construction, how to balance yourself to not be too spread out or too clumped depending on the needs of the deck and the counters present in the meta (hailstorm, potion buffs, things like the Ambush buff elf), and on counter tactics, identifying which decks tend to clump where to place weather, traps and how to use Igini, Aard and similar effects.

I really think CDPR should take a long hard look at their row placement. As it stands, it's a mechanic that is almost not a part of the game anymore, and if so, why keep it? Just have three unlabeled rows and roll with that, otherwise, they really need to cut back HEAVY on agile (like remove 40 to 60% of the Agile cards into fixed rows). You could even meet in the middle, having some cards have two valid rows (Catapults are Siege, ballista / light artillery could be siege / ranged, etc). You could even look at 'required' agile cards and set them to fixed rows, but in exchange, buff their power to compensate for that limitation (i.e make Frost Giant melee only, limiting his mechanic heavily, but perhaps he's +4 Power, or deals 3 Damage base, or whatever the balance point needs to be).

As it stands, things like weather or hailstorm, or igni almost excuslively punish mistakes for over filling a single lane, and counteract buffs, but they lack a strong deck build overall strategy.

Spuddu;n9627761 said:
Actually, they changed the RESTORE Skellige silver special card, not Renew. and i think that restore is a lot better now (no clan/faction limit, so you can resurrect a wide choice of silver unit cards)

also, as a skellige player, i don't see the need to buff those skellige cards in particular, especially the brokvar hunter. but i will not complain :huh:

Did I seriously said Renew?
That was a mistake, I'm gonna put that on the account of being tired because of my job. lol
I obviously meant restore, my bad.

About the agile convo..

Keep in mind the devs have stated there is a game changing mechanic coming with the next big patch (seasons end)
I'm sure this all plays into a master plan.

let's hope :hmm:

Pruny;n9628121 said:
Restore is the new cancer, cdpr nerf this soon!
:eredinfacepalm:

Hey, a least let me play for a while dorregaray in my skellige deck, lol

GenLiu;n9628851 said:
Did I seriously said Renew?
That was a mistake, I'm gonna put that on the account of being tired because of my job. lol
I obviously meant restore, my bad.

NP, i was only pointing out a fact

TheShift;n9629511 said:
About the agile convo..

Keep in mind the devs have stated there is a game changing mechanic coming with the next big patch (seasons end)
I'm sure this all plays into a master plan.

let's hope :hmm:

ok, but the fact that i can play my smiths in the meele row is ridiculous. they are support units, not meele fighters, same thing goes for catapults, and also meele fighters like an craite warriors deployed in the siege row look ridiculous (how are they suppose to attack or helping in a battle? throwing their weapons from a distance of 30-40 meters?).
a good compromise could be to give to some units the ability to be deployed only in 2 specific rows on the board (ex: ballistas, harpooners and brokvar archers could be deployed in the siege and mid rows only)

to me, giving complete agility to some cards is good idea, but not to so much cards.

I am relieved that the Northern Realms nerf isn't too brutal. The previous patch left my former strategy in ruins. :-D This one left my new one virtually untouched, yay!

VlkStinu;n9638621 said:
I am relieved that the Northern Realms nerf isn't too brutal. The previous patch left my former strategy in ruins. :-D This one left my new one virtually untouched, yay!

Just because it didn´t affect your current deck doesn´t mean that the nerf wasn´t a little bit overboard :)

EazyR;n9645471 said:
Just because it didn´t affect your current deck doesn´t mean that the nerf wasn´t a little bit overboard :)

Well actually, it did affect my deck.. I've realized it only after few minutes of a few rounds yesterday. But well, it could've been worse. :) As in the previous patch. That truly left my entire deck in ruins :D (and there was a much greater amount of changes for everyone I believe). In any case, I imagine that optimizing/changing the gameplay never leaves everyone a victor.. There are always those who suffer a bit more then the others. But I think it will slowly settle down and will makes sense in a while.

Last edited:
VlkStinu;n9645571 said:
Well actually, it did affect my deck.. I've realized it only after few minutes of a few rounds yesterday. But well, it could've been worse. :) As in the previous patch. That truly left my entire deck in ruins :D (and there was a much greater amount of changes for everyone I believe). In any case, I imagine that optimizing/changing the gameplay never leaves everyone a victor.. There are always those who suffer a bit more then the others. But I think it will slowly settle down and will makes sense in a while.

Unfortunately i don´t have your optimism, i think the game is going down a path that it´s not good, hope that they fix all the issues, its getting confusing some of their choices in this Agile Patch, purpose of Rows with this added agility in alot of units, the loss of the Gold immunity (don´t have issue with that) but leaving half of the Golds without rework, lets just say that i´ve made maybe 30 games in the last week, not happy with the game at all maybe everyone is happy and enjoying i´m not and hope that CDPR finds it´s path on what they want to do.
Best of regards

EazyR;n9645751 said:
Unfortunately i don´t have your optimism, i think the game is going down a path that it´s not good, hope that they fix all the issues, its getting confusing some of their choices in this Agile Patch, purpose of Rows with this added agility in alot of units, the loss of the Gold immunity (don´t have issue with that) but leaving half of the Golds without rework, lets just say that i´ve made maybe 30 games in the last week, not happy with the game at all maybe everyone is happy and enjoying i´m not and hope that CDPR finds it´s path on what they want to do.
Best of regards

Oh, the agile thing, I completely forgot about that.. I cannot say I am against it, but it's true that it is what made Gwent unique in a way, that it have the rows and various units you can (or rather must) assign to them. But I can understand you are not enjoying the game as of now as every one of us has different expectations and tastes when it comes to pretty much everything - games and how they work are no exceptions. So I can only wish you that you get what you want from the game in the future and that the next changes will make the game more to your liking!

Chickencababs;n9628281 said:
Good patch, agree with all changes but am confused why an already imo op card like Dijkstra would receive a buff. He can already pull two cards, which can just be ridiculous since he's rarely used first round and can insta-lock a gg in last if there is a low card hand in play. I have a feeling that decision will be reversed, but maybe he was buffed to make up for the nr nerf (which was much needed imo)

You know hes a spy... right?

Top Bottom