New Players - Tips and Suggestions

+
Xevd;n9168770 said:
Hello. I would like to express my wish. Make heroes more worthwhile (add strength, armor, more skills) or add platinum cards. It's a shame that Geralt is so weak.
And additionally add a little music from the soundtrack to the cards. Thank you.

The Suggestions Forum is the place for posting this kind of request. There should be quite a number of "power level" threads there that you can weigh in on. More detail is better, so you may want to expand on what you post (such as what do you mean by platinum cards?), provide examples, etc.

The ladder system sucks. I started 2 weeks ago, I'm rank 9000 something overall. Game is easy when you are not netdecking because most people that netdeck aren't very good and can't handle out of the norm decks.
BUT, casual mode is horrible too. You absolutely can't play fun decks. I just ran into a rank #77 guy with a full fledged ladder deck and got crushed while I play some mulligan crap deck. What a douchebag. That shouldn't happen, but it happens, a lot.

RedOctagon Please keep this thread for helpful tips and resources for new players. There are plenty of other threads where you can discuss your opinion on netdecks and ladders.

Hi guys,

Starting playing recently and getting really into it. Just played a game though and wasn't sure if I ran into a bug and the best way to report this?

I used Decoy to bring back Cleaver so I could play him again with the +3. Unfortunately it didn't apply the buff and I lost as a result, but couldn't see any reason why this would not work. Can anyone provide any insight into if this is a bug and if so how to report it?

Also, the leveling seems a bit off; after games it has been showing me leveling but not giving me rewards? Is this another bug of just confusing mechanic?

Thanks

PatLad07;n9272511 said:
Hi guys,

Starting playing recently and getting really into it. Just played a game though and wasn't sure if I ran into a bug and the best way to report this?

I used Decoy to bring back Cleaver so I could play him again with the +3. Unfortunately it didn't apply the buff and I lost as a result, but couldn't see any reason why this would not work. Can anyone provide any insight into if this is a bug and if so how to report it?

Also, the leveling seems a bit off; after games it has been showing me leveling but not giving me rewards? Is this another bug of just confusing mechanic?

Thanks

As mentioned at the beginning of the first post of this thread:

As always, contact support and developers here , if on PC then uploading your dxdiag will fill in most of the form for you.

When reporting in the form, or when posting in the tech support forum, please keep this in mind.

Known Issues can be found here, and here.

Number 4 is "5. Decoy does not always add the 3 base strength visually."

The rewards not showing is also an "on again and off again" issue, but it is visual. log out and log back in and the rewards should be there.

Hope that helps. Have a great day.

Last edited:
Hey there, I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It's helping a lot to get my bearings on this awesome game.

I actually played Witcher 3 almost entirely as a wandering Gwent player and I could not believe that such a great "mini game" did not have a full fledged release somewhere, but somehow missed this development until just recently!

So I'm scrambling to catch up and threads like yours are much appreciated.

Side note - the tone of the forums is refreshing, in that I'm seeing a lot of debate about specific mechanics but very little DEVS HATE [Class X] alarmism. Maybe that will change as the game continues into wider release, but for now feels good, man!

This might be a dumb question, and I'm sure somebody asked it before, but how many copies of each card do we need. As far as I can tell from various deck building sites very few if any decks appear to use more than 3 of a kind. This also follows what the OP wrote initially in his comment regarding consistency. If so it would be nice to just write this in the original post so people know that as soon as a keg is opened displaying that you have 4 or more of a kind you can mill yourself down to 3.

Also If there are any cards which very rarely, if ever, require more than one copy and it's not obvious from their ability it might be worth just summarising them. Bronze cards that never see play would be nice to have listed as well.

Although it's slightly off topic it might be worth mentioning that I started my experience with trading cards with MTG on paper and if somebody had told me back then that 70%+ of the stuff you get from booster packs where rubbish I would have bought singles straight from the get go. I have the same mentality about useless cards in GWENT although it's great that we can actually mill them down and use them for something other than kindling on a cold winter night ;)

aBoo3

It is indeed useless to have more than 3 copies of a bronze unit -- except havíng 3 of both "normal" and premium versions if you'd like to eventually have a 100 % full collection like many players do.
I'm guessing it's not included in the OP because the deck builder screen in-game used to tell you the maximum number of copies you could have (3x Bronze, 1x Silver and Gold). With the new UI that little detail is no longer present.

As for Bronzes that never see play, I daresay at least a few players are using all of the cards. Even competitive players sometimes make uncommon techs to counter common meta decks. For example right now you might not see Mushrooms or Dimeritium Shackles in any top-rated decks, but that doesn't mean someone tired of Nekker Consume or Axemen doesn't tech them in.
In any case, every time the game gets a new patch the meta also changes, affecting the play-rates of many cards. What is never used in the current patch might become popular once the next update arrives.

The opening post is out of date in various ways (starter decks, some cards abilities and some game mechanics), having been last updated in July.
Currently this thread is likely a better place for questions, if you want up-to-date information or quick replies. :)

RidiculousName;n10176692 said:
aBoo3

It is indeed useless to have more than 3 copies of a bronze unit -- except havíng 3 of both "normal" and premium versions if you'd like to eventually have a 100 % full collection like many players do.
I'm guessing it's not included in the OP because the deck builder screen in-game used to tell you the maximum number of copies you could have (3x Bronze, 1x Silver and Gold). With the new UI that little detail is no longer present.

As for Bronzes that never see play, I daresay at least a few players are using all of the cards. Even competitive players sometimes make uncommon techs to counter common meta decks. For example right now you might not see Mushrooms or Dimeritium Shackles in any top-rated decks, but that doesn't mean someone tired of Nekker Consume or Axemen doesn't tech them in.
In any case, every time the game gets a new patch the meta also changes, affecting the play-rates of many cards. What is never used in the current patch might become popular once the next update arrives.

The opening post is out of date in various ways (starter decks, some cards abilities and some game mechanics), having been last updated in July.
Currently this thread is likely a better place for questions, if you want up-to-date information or quick replies. :)

Thanks for the clarification. So far I had only tried building one deck and at the time I didn't have 4 of a kind so I had no idea about the 3 of a kind limit. As for the meta changing and seemingly useless cards becoming useful I get that. I just figured that between the release of new cards melting what was absolute junk in the current made sense since having more valuable cards most likely translates to more victories and hence more/better rewards when playing ranked. Once you have one good competitive deck, or a few variants withing a faction, I certainly see the point of just hoarding 3 of a kind for all cards even though they may appear useless at the time.

Hello everyone.
I started playing around month ago, before season change I reached rank 19. After the season reset I have very very much struggled to get even 35% winrate. I feel bad about this because before the patch I was doing great considering im new player.
I like to play Nilfgaard and Monsters but recent meta seems to be overwhelming for my deck designs. From start I have enjoyed and created my own decks and trying to avoid too much exposure from "net decks". (tournaments and streams are different thing tho).

I just feel I lost some thought process or something but for me under 35% winrate feels really really bad, and I am starting to lose interest in the game because I feel I cannot affect the game anymore.
My favorite cards pre-patch were blue dream and Johnny. Now I dont have favorite cards because I feel no matter what i try to build into my deck I end up losing badly.

Please help because I really want to continue play this game.

Hello, guys! Could anyone advise me on the neutral Cleaver card? I was wondering if it did a single burst of damage equal to the amount of cards in hand, or if it did 1 damage repeatedly, like Harald the Cripple does?

Grenelef;n10288882 said:
Hello, guys! Could anyone advise me on the neutral Cleaver card? I was wondering if it did a single burst of damage equal to the amount of cards in hand, or if it did 1 damage repeatedly, like Harald the Cripple does?

Cleaver only hits once and it's a pretty mediocre card.

4RM3D;n10289122 said:
Cleaver only hits once and it's a pretty mediocre card.

He doesn't really synergize with my deck in this case. I will look for another candidate to occupy a silver slot. Thanks a bunch, man. :)

I have a question. What should happen when you don't decide in time what card to play? I had in one game that my opponent did not play a card in time and we both lost a card. Then i did not play a card in time and then only i lost a card. Seems unfair to me.

SirusR2PO;n10715741 said:
What should happen when you don't decide in time what card to play?

A random card from your hand will be discarded. If you were in the middle of playing a card that requires you to make a choice, the computer will make the choice for your at random. It depends on the card's ability what the effect will be. Without giving any further explanation about which cards were played, I cannot give you a full answer.

Top Bottom