The Purpose of CA Spies: Cantarella, Frightener, Thaler, Udalryk and Yaevinn

+
how should i use Yaewiin

I have craft Yaeviin recently, but i couldn't use it correctly
How should i use this card for provide advantage to me ?

Yaevinn is a 14 strength water immune unit which damages every non-gold unit on a row by 1 while giving you a card. As an example; if you use him on a row with 5 non-gold units, that means you get card advantage at 9 strength cost.

Another example use case would be when an opponent uses Villentretenmerth (which scorches battleground twice after 3 turns) Though you should use Yaevinn when you see 1 turn left on the dragon. After turn passes to opponent, Villentretenmerth will burn Yaevinn and you will be getting free card advantage.

And finally, if you do not get a specific case (many units on a row, Villentretenmerth etc) use him on rounds you intend to lose. Especially if you won first round, you could throw him in second round for card advantage which helps a lot in third round.

Last edited:
All of the above, with the addition of certain strategies based solely around specific units. Harpy's Eggs, for example. And especially Grave Hag, if your opponent has a lot of cards in his graveyard and it's only Round 2.

Sometimes he's an effective way to do one damage if his 14 strength would be offset by not playing him.

except from the above,he also has great synergy with geralt igni,since he increases the strengh of a single row by a lot.

last but not least,if u use a lock card in your deck(ithlinne and cleaver are the only ones so far,thats why its a non-obvious synergy)you can lock him and he loses his weather immunity.aeromancy can bring him to 1 then,but this is a situation you will never meet :)

pl91;n7955640 said:
except from the above,he also has great synergy with geralt igni,since he increases the strengh of a single row by a lot.

last but not least,if u use a lock card in your deck(ithlinne and cleaver are the only ones so far,thats why its a non-obvious synergy)you can lock him and he loses his weather immunity.aeromancy can bring him to 1 then,but this is a situation you will never meet :)

There's a reason you won't see it: yaevinn+ithlinne/cleaver+aeromancy. or in other words: using 3 silver cards or 2 silvers + 1 gold in order to draw one card... to me it doesn't seem worth it.
if i do use yaevinn with aeromancy, i usually use aeromancy first, then drop yaevinn, which lets me draw a card and get rid of cards (something annoying like those battleships that rain fire when SK discards)

When is Thaler usefull?

First of all: Hello Guys.
Second: I just started playing Gwent again. I played a few matches when the closed beta started, but quit after a while. I also played all of the singleplayer content of gwent in Witcher 3 (At least to get all the cards). But the game is pretty different beast now, so I now feel like I am missing something with disloyal cards. I had one used against me in a match, which was against Nilfgard, but I got the use of that card, because it was a very weak unit (about 2 power or so I think) and the enemy got to draw a card for it. But Thaler I just don't get. He adds a whopping 11 power to the enemy and you just get a single card in return. Which would be essentially useless, because you have to not drawn an actual usefull card in order to get to play Thaler. And I just can't think of a single way were that were preferable.
What kind of card could I possibly draw that would make up for the fact that I just gave my enemy 11 power? Most gold cards don't have that power level.

ANY reason to use frightener?

Honestly, is there any semi-decent reason to use frightener?
It gives you 1 card while giving +10 to opponent. Last Wish allows you to choose between 2.
You cant place it on weather spot as only reason there would be weather is to kill units. Frightener will move those cards away.
You cant consume it with Katakan. It's doomed card.
It is silver card.
If you take it back with succubus you only get +4 and one more card with cost of 1 silver and 1 gold.

I really like the art of this card but I just cant justify the use of it on anything.

Last edited:
Every faction has one such spy (each with his own flavor). The reason they exist is purely one: card advantage.

lets say that you won round 1.
you want to exhaust cards from your opponent on round 2, so you play your spy. You draw one card (so basically you didn't lose a card) and FORCE your opponent to play one of his own cards (because if he passes you can 2-0 him)

another way to play spies is to slow down tempo.

let's say you are 20 points ahead of your opponent. You are afraid he has some high tempo play, or you dint want him to win with just 2 cards, on the flipside, if you play a normal card, let's say a 10, bringing the difference to 30, he'll SURELY pass, making you "waste" your 10 power card.

in such a case, you play your spy, you're still ahead, and you effectively didn't spend a card.

lastly, it was much more important in the previous patch, but there are some times you need to go last no matter what, I.e. you have a 20 str unit on hand and you know opponent has a scorch, Card Advantage give you exactly that, by "drawing a card" you effectively one up your opponent on who has the last play

Amaror;n8756410 said:
Second: I just started playing Gwent again. I played a few matches when the closed beta started, but quit after a while. I also played all of the singleplayer content of gwent in Witcher 3 (At least to get all the cards). But the game is pretty different beast now, so I now feel like I am missing something with disloyal cards. I had one used against me in a match, which was against Nilfgard, but I got the use of that card, because it was a very weak unit (about 2 power or so I think) and the enemy got to draw a card for it. But Thaler I just don't get. He adds a whopping 11 power to the enemy and you just get a single card in return. Which would be essentially useless, because you have to not drawn an actual usefull card in order to get to play Thaler. And I just can't think of a single way were that were preferable.
What kind of card could I possibly draw that would make up for the fact that I just gave my enemy 11 power? Most gold cards don't have that power level.

Emissary from Nilfgaard draws you 2 cards and you have to play one of them right away. Thaler gives you a card but you don't have to play it, so you gain card advantage (you have more cards than the opponent so you have the last say). You usually use the spy in a round you can lose to stall it.

First, It moves 2 adjacent units to random row; sometimes I use it to move cards to weather effects; Second, people usually keep scorch and you give the strongest unit to the opponent's side; third, to make Geralt Igni not being a dead card perhaps; to add, Aglais can't resurrect the frightener but the last wish from your graveyard.

Last edited:
It's a pretty good card - especially in combination with Giant Toad (that way you don't always have to use Frightener and can play a 15 strength unit instead...).

Sure it comes with a bit of risk - all Spy Cards of that kind do. But it gives you a lot flexibility! It's nice for deck thinning, you can throw units in a weather row and if you want to force your opponent a few more cards it allows you to do that, without losing a card.

But if you don't like it, suit yourself.

devivre;n8758950 said:
But if you don't like it, suit yourself.

Could it possibly be that the entire reason for this post was to find good use for it as I would like to use it?
It's hard to like of card that you can't think any good use for.

MrRagdoll;n8759020 said:
Could it possibly be that the entire reason for this post was to find good use for it as I would like to use it?
It's hard to like of card that you can't think any good use for.

Why do you think did I try to explain how this card can be of use :)?

I've been playing a somewhat gimmicky deck, that while not great, can be fun to play at times. Works best if you go second, but you play Foltest then Dandelion on Dun Banner Light Cavalry, so your three Cavalry are at 8 strength a piece, 24 total. Then you play Thaler. If you make sure your math is correct, hopefully you can give them a 21-23 point lead, they'll pass, the Cavalry will spawn and you'll win the round with decent card advantage. Tough to pull off, but its tons of fun when it works.

Frightener is good if you have won round 1 and want to gain some advantage for round 3. It actually give you an extra card. Not many cards does that, most cards let you draw and play the card right away. Also great with geels. If you choose him, you can use him to draw the gold. On a long haul weather deck (e.g. fog), you can grind it down in 5 turns, you can swap its power with mirror.. igni it.. for advance players, it is pretty good

Amaror;n8756410 said:

As was already stated - Thaler gives you CARD ADVANTAGE. And having more cards than your opponent is a huge advantage in this game - it can mean the difference between losing to scorch/gigni, and being able to play your last dard/cards after your opponent has passed. Thaler gives you that - you play him and get +1 card, and if you surrender the round, it doesn't matter how many points he beat you by.
Also, the cavalry deck is a thing: http://gwentify.com/decks/a-temerian-surprise/, and Thaler is one of the better ways to open that gap for cavalry to charge in.

Honestly it's completely bloody useless. Lots of monster decks have low power cards anyway so draw 1 extra card and give your opponent 10 power it suicidal. Needs its power lowered to counter its risk.

Frightner is great. I used it first to consume it with karyan to end up in round 3 with a 28 pts gold card. If i didint draw karyan , i use it in round 2 to draw a card ( if i won round 1) or mulligan it if i lost round 1. With geels and deck thining the hounds provides ( summoning frost from deck means 2 cards in 1 play) i end up with kayran in hand most of the time and its the best monsters gold card in game.

Top Bottom