Fun with Ale of the Ancestors

+
Fun with Ale of the Ancestors

The newly introduced card "Ale of the Ancestors" (AotA) hasn't seen much play because it might not be competitive, but it can still be fun to play with in certain decks because of its unique mechanic.

I think the best way to use this is in a movement deck, either a ST deck with Dwarven Mercenary and Ciaran or (to a lesser extend) a SK deck with Gedyneith Flaminica and Donar an Hindar.

AotA can be directly countered in three ways: with locks, weather or damage. Dwarven Mercs can move AotA to re-enable the boon, remove weather (and buff AotA) and Ciaran can unlock it on top of that. This leaves the AotA being destroyed. However, with 10 strength, it does usually require two turns or a gold card to kill it. All in all, this means AotA still can be used without having to worry too much about it being instantly shut down.

What are your experiences with Ale of the Ancestors? And did you find a unique way to use it?

PS. FYI, If AotA is countered by weather and you play Clear Skies, the boon doesn't come back. It only comes back after an unlock or being moved to a different row.

That's a lot of good info and ideas. :)

I'd never considered the possibilities of combining Ale with movement. I suppose swarming could be added to the equation for even greater effect...
My experiences with Ale are limited to its getting locked and/or removed; might be time to give it another try.

Lyphian92;n9892981 said:
Keep the Prize-winning Cow alive while the Light Longship is hitting it.

After 2 Chorts have appeared (meaning you have 4 units on the row), there is a 25% chance that the Cow won't get buffed. This chance only increases subsequently, besides the fact that it's easy to counter the Cow with a simple damage effect.

4RM3D;n9893021 said:
After 2 Chorts have appeared (meaning you have 4 units on the row), there is a 25% chance that the Cow won't get buffed. This chance only increases subsequently, besides the fact that it's easy to counter the Cow with a simple damage effect.

True, still, it's a good little thing to have going on long rounds.

Don't forget that Ale of the Ancestors is kind of a pricey Clear Skies with Benefits. If you're being beseiged by Weather it replaces it with its Boon. And if there's Weather on another row move the Ale to that row and it replaces the hazard again. Not saying Ale is in any way OP but I've used it successfully in this manner before.

JawsLoanCompany;n9897441 said:
move the Ale to that row and it replaces the hazard again

it's a fun card indeed but keeping the ale alive is actually very difficult with all the shutdowns available (like mandrake, locks, kayran, double zap etc..). Still one way or another you are derailing opponents gameplan which is always appreciated.

Ale of Ancestors also adds another incentive to add weather effects to your decks as a counter, which I think is good.

Well, they nerved if for some reason, and I doubt the boon ever comes back now. Why nerf a card that only shows its face in meme decks? I was playing it in a Radovid shell to counter locks but hey... they nerved Radovid's unlock ability as well (did they even mention it?). The deck was average at best, but is entirely useless now. You can argue it's been strenghtened instead, but the boon itself has been nerved, and now it can simply be bolted like a common bronze. A pity. :(

Top Bottom