Whats the STRONGEST monsters archetype in midwinter patch?

+
Whats the STRONGEST monsters archetype in midwinter patch?

I need to make a monsters deck for when quests come up but I'm not sure where to focus the foundation of my deck....RELIC, CONSUME, or MOONLIGHT? If anyone mains monsters and could give a few suggestions or a tier list of best to worst archetype (in your opinion) I'd appreciate it.

I run Eredin frost, its low tempo but can control oponent with scorch, artefact compresion, morkvud. Also double iris can be good.

That depends on the rank you play at. At around 17 or in casual any good deck will work, some examples are Eredin Wild hunt control deck with powerful control cards like ice troll and double iris, Moonlight with dagon or eredin and consume. Things will get progressively harder with a monster deck but consume nekker swarm still works fine at like 4.2K mmr. Best monster decks right now are the 30 card consume deck (called tempo your way to victory on gwentdb) and the nekker warrior deck...

I think consume is still the best Monster deck atm.
Which isn't really surprising since they mostly buffed it (you lose the carryover, which is huge but everything else is better than it used to be).

Consume is definitely still the strongest. There's two broad varieties, one nekker based one more focused around beasts, but one or either is the best. Relicts are an interesting idea that isn't quite there yet, and moonlight will one day be excellent I think, but right now isn't quite there.

I'd also say consume. But there are several monster hybrid decks that seem to do fine and in the end it also depends on what style of play suits you.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im definitely no Monsters expert, but i think the Moonlight archetype is not that strong yet.

The Wild Hunt + Frost is solid, but very predictable and has trouble against some archetypes.

I currently use 2 Arachas Queen decks - 1 relict: with 3 fiends, 3 ghouls, 3 silver crones, and 4 Gold relicts, including the Gold Crone that strengthens all relics by 2. It's a very straightforward deck, based on raw points.

The other is a consume / Swarm deck, focused on Arachas, with Nekker Warrior to create more Arachas in between consumes, and with Ruehin to strengthen all Arachas when your board is filled with them. For R3, the golds: Draug + Yen / Triss Butt (Fire Golem too for extra swarmness!)

Thank for the advice guys and ya I did some research as well and it does look like consume with nekker/nekker warriors is performing the best above 4k MM and on the meta reports this is performing the best against the tier 1 dwarves decks that just seem to out tempo everything else ATM.

devivre;n10164322 said:
I'd also say consume. But there are several monster hybrid decks that seem to do fine and in the end it also depends on what style of play suits you.

Quiet frankly I doubt anything would be nearly as powerful as consume and the reason for that being, Nekkers as OP as balls!
When I appreciate the fact that CDPR removed their ability to carry over, I trully think it was a bad idea to increase their str to 4 (if nothing else because some of the old counters, like Peter in Nilfgaard, don't work anymore) because the unit is still completely busted (and the fact that they now have more tools to synergy with them doesn't solve problem, obviously).

It's pretty simple, if your opponent can Nekker warrior is first Nekker not more than 2 times, it's pretty much game over, this card is easily the bronze that generate the most value in the entire game.

I've tried consume with nekkers and Brewess and I don't feel it's that strong. It is difficult to counter though.

I feel Moonlight is more powerful honestly, at least proactively. I know many people will disagree with me on this, but in terms of results it's true for me. I've had better results with that deck than with Nekker Consume.

Then again I despise harald axeman and 2 out of 3 decks I encountered while testing the nekkers were that so I don't know

ser2440;n10227352 said:
I feel Moonlight is more powerful honestly, at least proactively. I know many people will disagree with me on this, but in terms of results it's true for me. I've had better results with that deck than with Nekker Consume.

Because a Nekker Consume deck is actually one of the hardest decks to learn & play. When facing off against them, you might think otherwise because you just have to drop a Nekker and breed it into oblivion. However, having tried it myself, I can tell you there are countless of calculations you'll have to make in order to decide when you are going to consume your Nekkers and in what order you are going to play your consume train. Even the mulligan can be extremely tricky, at times. I should note, though, that the opening is usually still straight forward, unless you have a bad hand. And that you actually don't need to play the deck efficiently in order to win. Nonetheless, trying to gain maximum value from your deck requires a lot of experience.

Because a Nekker Consume deck is actually one of the hardest decks to learn & play. When facing off against them, you might think otherwise because you just have to drop a Nekker and breed it into oblivion. However, having tried it myself, I can tell you there are countless of calculations you'll have to make in order to decide when you are going to consume your Nekkers and in what order you are going to play your consume train. Even the mulligan can be extremely tricky, at times. I should note, though, that the opening is usually still straight forward, unless you have a bad hand. And that you actually don't need to play the deck efficiently in order to win. Nonetheless, trying to gain maximum value from your deck requires a lot of experience.

I know. I lose track of how many nekkers are left in my deck, it's very easy to lose it. But it's also not like I just crafted it, I've tried this deck ever since the previous update (which gaves us the slyzards). Maybe I just need more training though I don't know.

devivre;n10164322 said:
I agree. Many people are claiming the Consume to be the strongest... Although it's a very strong and competitive archetype, I'm not sure if it is the strongest. OceanMud managed to reach top 100 on the ladder last season with 2 accounts running Eredin only, because that's the only leader he plays :p

Nekker/Consume is the strongest of them (If the person playing it is experienced with it), once the train starts rolling, everything else is damage control
Eredin Frost, or even Frost / Moonlight is a close second, but much more straightforward (making it easier to play and to counter),
Consume/Swarm to me is the weakest of the 3 imo, since it's chains can be more easily interrupted

Nekker Consume is definitely the one I have the hardest time playing against.

Same here, if I am being honest. I can't for the life of me stop them. Resetting won't banish the Nekkers now that they are STR 4 unless you are using Mandrake, which is one use and chances are the opponent will have an extra nekker or a shadow in hand for that exact problem. Locking doesn't do anything against them either as with that amount of slyzards and consumers, nothing stops them from consuming it and summoning a copy, not to mention there is always reviving it. Damaging them with an engine (which is some of the greatest consistent damage one can dish out at the moment in the game) isn't enough either, I can't kill them fast enough even with 3 Impera enforcers on the board. The only thing that might work with a spy deck is stealing their nekker warriors when they consume them

See I feel the fact that nekker carryover has been eliminated is actually not a nerf, but a huge buff for this deck. Before the update, no matter what you'd do, you'd go down in Nekkers in R2 and R3, because of the carryover. So your opponent could sacrifice card advantage to kill 7 of your nekkers, then Round 2 you'd get another and he'd drypass, then R3 your last nekker would come. That's it. No more nekkers. Now, if you want to save your nekkers for when you need them (namely R3), you can do it easily.

Last edited:
Monsters and NG have the best ways to deal with Nekkers (Succubus and Sweers), but aside from that only decks that run lots of mushrooms or eithne.burnallthethings.deck can really stop them, misplays not factored in, and bad hands always been a possible factor.

Theodrik;n10229082 said:
I agree. Many people are claiming the Consume to be the strongest... Although it's a very strong and competitive archetype, I'm not sure if it is the strongest. OceanMud managed to reach top 100 on the ladder last season with 2 accounts running Eredin only, because that's the only leader he plays :p

Eredin's only viable because decks run a lot less weather clear right now. He's got the simple achilles' heel that if he EVER gets close to the top of the mountain the meta will just shift to mage/clear skies and he's dead in the water.

Unfortunately, in this meta the consume deck potential is heavily com[promised by a single card, Sweers. And guess what? The ladder is full of NG decks. GG

I thought, as probably many, that this Midcrap update was favouring mostly ST, but I was wrong, NG outpeform everything it seems. GG again.

Last edited:
I think the consensus is consume, but I feel that there are some under-valued options like Eredin and Unseen Elder. Elder is actually very good value, and there is a strong bronze pool in monsters as well as some strong finishers.

The only monster deck i stuggle against now are nekkers when i don't have the tools in hand to sabotage the said nekkers.

I don't get chils up my spine when i see Eredin or Dagon on ranked any more, thats for sure.

Top Bottom