Recommend a deck/archetype

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recommend a deck/archetype

I've been a monster only player in closed beta. But that was during the play-crones-and-pass era. Played NG and ST in open beta and I'm now looking into building a 3rd faction. Thing is, I've no idea what works for monsters. I'm not looking for the best deck, necessarily. Something fun works too.

This one's fun. Maybe not high end ranked, but love some ancient foggies.

I've also spotted quite a few successful deathwish decks around, a lot of them running nova too, granted. But they're surprisingly powerful!

Basically any Monster deck that is built around weather synergy can be strong these days. You could even make an Ogroid-Frost-Deck, or something like that. A lot of possibilities here. Oh, and Moonlight + Fog seem like another good combination.

Deathwish appears to be pretty effective and can be fun to play. D'ao and Archespore seem essential here (in combination with Griffin). And Brewess: Ritual to replay these Deathwish units.

There's also the option to built a relict deck (there are not that many relict cards though, so you might be more limited here). However you need to draw "Weavess: Incantation" in time, otherwise that deck loses a lot of power (you need to strengthen your units, so the Ghouls can later consume them). Some people use Renew for Incantation to boost their units even more, but no idea if that really is the best way to go.

You could also go with Nekker Consume or Nekker/Arachas consume. I like the Nekkers all-in variant, personally. I think it's the most powerful Monster deck right now (mostly it's my impression from playing against them with a variety of decks).
https://www.gwentdb.com/decks/41427-the-ultimate-consume-guide-by-aretuza
It's extremely consistent (which can also make it somewhat repetitive to play).

However, all of the decks mentioned are fun to play and can hold their own.

Ic3Purple;n10556102 said:
This corner of the forum it is pretty dead :/

RIGHT?! This is why I'm proud to be working on making a powerful and unique monsters deck. I'm just figuring it out through trial and error and I'm on the verge of something really really good I just need to keep grinding for scraps. Its mostly a moonlight based deck. I tried moon/fog for a while but found that trying to set up both engines at once took too long and you have too many cards that are dependent on board effects that you may not be able to draw or play. If you're playing moonlight its really important to keep your deck lean and have some way to keep drawing in case you don't get enough moonlight based cards. Cause you never ever want just a moonlight card itself you have to mulligan till you get a siren and may not end up with enough of them. I still go back and fourth on Frightener for this. Its in a lot of GM moonlight decks but I just dont like potentially leaving my opponent with that much power to get a card that may not be what I need. I have a couple weather effects cards but if you dont have a way to destroy it or they cancel the weather well... I just dont like it. I prefer things like Toad Prince (which is in those GM decks too) where if I draw a card I dont want I just consume it.

I've been using the Unseen Elder leader instead of Dagon cause is a great anchor to steal a bunch of power from those late R3 large power cards. I usually play him last or close to it and even though you see it coming you cant do anything about it cause you know you're playing Ciri nova last. And I like to keep a couple cockatrices around to reset boosted units at the very end of a round which can have a huge impact and is nice to have in a 6 power bronze. Although when someone has a lot of cards boosted really high I find myself scrambling to look up all their base powers before my turn ends. I've already started memorizing a lot of units power and just paying closer attention to boosted units. Y'all are sleepin' on those Cockatrices. I never see them. But I'm worried about talking them up cause moonlight relies heavily on boosts. Though as I said I'm still working on it. Its not quite a GM deck yet. But I feel like I can make a better one than the ones I've seen. I just gotta keep working at it. I mostly just need to get a little more synergy between my silvers and golds and moonlight based bronzes. I have some ideas but as said, need those scraps. It really sucks to blow 800 scraps on a card that ends up not working out like you thought. Anyway I'll keep y'all updated. I'd really like to see people playing more unique decks instead of the same ol' thangs. Its getting old playing against the same exact decks over and over.

EDIT: I've since removed the cockatrices from my deck and completely overhauled my silvers and golds. Making a strong push for GM and if I make it will share. My record may not be that great though as I've been testing the deck in ranked play because that's the best way to see how it performs. I feel like most casual games are against other test decks and don't do justice to how yours would actually function. Maybe I should track my record from this point on because I've been on a win streak...

Last edited:
Yeah I find the most fun (if not most efficient) way to play is to work on your own deck ideas, gradually refining them. Only kicker being you'll realise once you refine one that it's probably similar to another deck top players are already using, because there really are only so many combos that work.

Yeah. (That's why I'm always confused by people who claim the ability to tell netdecks from homebrews.)

I'm hoping the growing card pool will eventually lead to more archetypes. In particular, archetypes that aren't intended to exist by the developers.
So far, there are too many preconceived archetypes and tutor chains for my taste. We'll see.

RosariasFinger;n10602182 said:
Yeah I find the most fun (if not most efficient) way to play is to work on your own deck ideas, gradually refining them. Only kicker being you'll realise once you refine one that it's probably similar to another deck top players are already using, because there really are only so many combos that work.

Of course! Your right.They're only so many cards. I'm sure some top player is using my dream deck right now. But not only do I rarely see monsters players at all I almost never see moonlight decks. So I feel like this is an area that not enough people have looked into. I mean just looking at this ghost town of a thread speaks for itself. As I said I've researched some GM moonlight decks but I just didn't like them. For me its more important to have a deck that I like to play vs a deck that just wins but I don't have an affinity for. I like Monsters. I like the vampires, beasts and occasional necrophage more than the other monsters and that was pretty much my starting point for this and I'm adjusting till it works. As I said I started with Moon/Fog and I didn't know that was an archetype. I wasn't sure it would work I just liked the idea of it. Now I dont keep foglets around at all anymore. But to sum it up, I went on a rant before coming to this thread about how everyone is just copying the best decks they can find and I don't know of a lot of people experimenting with new things. And although I was able to find SOME moonlight GM decks there's very few compared to all the other types of Monster decks and practically none when compared all the other factions. Which is accidentally an awesome thing for me because I always love playing the character in fighting games that almost no one else does and so on. Going into online gwent from Witcher 3 I assumed Monsters faction would be far more poplar though.

Last edited:
thecomfyshirt;n10602402 said:

Great mentality to have, and you are right that moonlight is under played just remember to defend against those biting frost decks! I look forward to seeing what you come up with/settle on.
See you out there ;)

RosariasFinger;n10602792 said:
Great mentality to have, and you are right that moonlight is under played just remember to defend against those biting frost decks! I look forward to seeing what you come up with/settle on.
See you out there ;)

Biting frost is difficult to play against if you haven't drawn enough moonlight. Especially because Wild Hunt can just create frost hounds and Caranthir can spawn frost. But usually I do okay with them by either playing my werewolves before laying down full mooon and settling for the smaller point boost all at once instead of large boosts over time. Or just plain ignoring the boon strategy, discarding my werewolves and not playing sirens or Nekurat until they've played frost so I can counter it. This is the kinda situation where I need a couple of better gold and silvers. Remember though, sirens and hounds are the same power and sirens boost under fullmoon. Sometimes they're really clever and they'll see I'm waiting them out so they wont play frost for a while. But with the hunt its just a matter of time. I've seen ONE really weird Wild Hunt deck where they barely played frost if at all and did a unit vomit strategy with his unit creation and hunt boosts. Practically filled his board but didn't force me to use moonlight to counter frost. I had all these sirens left at the end so I hit him with the blood moon for big damage. That's the thing, I feel like moonlight is the only deck right now doing something different. It's not easy to do though but that's why I gravitated towards it. The fact that moonlight exists gives me hope for this game.

In Deck Moon, may be try this new Gold card Triss: Telekinesis
For exemple Triss could be replacement of Nekurat , as he can cast Bloodmoon / Fullmoon / First light

And we can pick new Silver Card in Deck

Triss Telekinesis in general is a very good card for any deck that runs bronze special. However, in most cases Nekurat is probably a bit better (because it can be buffed by Fullmoon, while Triss can't), but Triss could indeed be a good addition to any Moonlight deck.

devivre;n10607432 said:
in most cases Nekurat is probably a bit better (because it can be buffed by Fullmoon, while Triss can't)

I was just gonna say this. Hadn't considered Triss though. But if you have your cards set up right you can force draw Nekurat with marching orders or alzurs double cross. But you have to have any bronzes that could come up out of your deck first. Meaning you CAN draw a siren with marching orders. It isn't usually a problem to get Nekurat this way seeing as you probably want to play your sirens and whatever else first anyway. You can fetch him some other ways too. I usually save Nekurat for emergency moonlight situations. And I keep a black blood around for a chance to create a second Nekurat just have all the moonlight. I'm currently making a push for GM with my home brew moonlight deck. I refused to add another weather control type in because I think it fattens your deck too much and you're worried about setting up two engines at once. Everyone suggested that I'd have to do it to stay competitive with moonlight but after a couple adjustments to my deck today I'm on a roll. I've also refuse to add Frightener even though most moonlight decks seem to have him. If I can make it up to GM with this deck I will share. It may need another tweak or two. Its a super duper thin deck though having only 17 actual units in it, Leader included, but it means you pretty much always get to play exactly what you want at any time and never draw a bad hand. That's the best way moonlight in my opinion. God forbid you get stuck with a moonlight card in your hand. *shudders*

Last edited:
I'm currently playin moonlight deck and I'm loving this archetype. I have 3 modifieds decks from moonlight and I find more effective the one with units to hurt the oponent with werecat / jotunn / bridge troll combination. I changed marching orders for ointment to double play nekurat.
I dont feel this deck as strong as current meta but I really enjoy playing it. Lets see how much I can climb with it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I had close to 3k scrap so I managed to make 2 decks, Moonlight and deathwish.

Not a big fan of moonlight. It's a buff me deck with no control. Deathwish is better but still lacks some control I'd like to have. Gonna have to look into some silvers and golds to use. Right now, all golds and silvers, besides Caretaker, are used for deathwish synergy.

If you want some control with deathwish, without losing too much on synergies, you can get sabbath + mandrake. Otherwise get some cyclops + double-cross so you can kill your deathwish and kill a key enemy unit

That's my biggest problem with Qwent HC... It is extremely linear and too controlled. They're striving so hard to create balance that it takes the fun out of the game to simply be creative.

It would be better to have a mode that allows the player to pick any amount of cards that they want, and cross factions without restriction to make a really cool themed deck. I like the way Yugioh did their build deck system. Gwent still needs to find itself, because it currently is not great.
Post automatically merged:

I don't like it when games try to limit my ability to be creative and experiment, because they keep telling me what to do. This faction can't ally with this faction, and this card is too expensive to be put in the same deck with that card. And this leader can't lead that group, and when switching out cards, they are randomly picked for me. Too much control, and not enough freedom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom