Monster Deck Strategies

+
Swarm deck works for me. Consume is more powerful but can be countered with sucubus.
Crazy combo Carantir+OldSpeartip destroyed me in a game, lucky guy.
I use Zoltan+Draug now.

Consume with yennefer. Also the idea of running operator and giving to duplicate a behemos or vram warrior is ticking in my mind.

First off - I think this game needs to add Detlaff as a gold card - he was a boss in the Blood and Wine expansion for Witcher 3.
I've been on a pretty good winning streak in this beta with my consume deck. A fun gold card I have been using is Gaunter O'Dimm. Basically if you guess correctly a random card is over/under 5, you play ANY card from your deck that you want. This almost guarantees a win if your deck is good.

D4N;n9429651 said:
Some tip to counter the current deck of scoia'tael?

I don't think so. It is broken as hell. They destroy all nekkers - ALWAYS - the game over. And you have no way to protect against it. After the patch, monsters decks based on nekkers are flawed.

D4N;n9429651 said:
Some tip to counter the current deck of scoia'tael?

I made this deck recently and it runs well against St especially if you get Margarita LA to lock and reset a boosted unit. Toruviel can be locked and I enjoy being able to do that.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/34952-the-lockdown

But it's far from perfect and I've been discussing possible changes in other threads. Gold Vesimir could really work well if you have him, and exchanging a Dshackles for a damaging special bronze is another possibility.

Tips for all decks would be running locks and using an Alchemy or Spell card if you suspect they've placed Morenn. Or put down a 7+ str unit so that she can't snipe it away entirely before the deploy ability can be used. Epidemic and/or Scorch as an opener is also something to consider.

Last edited:
No Title

What's wrong with my deck?:

Attachments

• photo184061.jpg
    photo184061.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 50
DigzGwentplayer;n9920311 said:
What's wrong with my deck?:

Err... 34 cards, really? Try to get to 26, at least.

Get rid of the 3 First Lights and Wild Hunt Warriors and at least 1 Operator - try 1 Operator and 1 Slyzard. Also not sure about the Longships - I would remove them too.

If you insist - remove 1 WH Rider and leave one First Light in your deck - it can always be useful.

Imperial Manticore is next to useless if you don't have, like, Monsters Nest to reuse it with Ghoul. But than you need the Drowner better, to pull stuff in Frost. So, the meta way to replace it is to craft Iris (which is Neutral and you can use in all your decks) and than Caretaker to replace vanilla Geralt, so you can use her twice in R3 as a finisher (this way you can keep 1 WH Warrior in deck, just in case).

You can always try and something "different", like - craft Frightener and Succubus as R3 Finisher, where you play the Silver Spy for card advantage and than steal it back if it's the highest points Unit on the other side of the board. This works really well at least till Rank 15-16 for sure.

partci;n9920941 said:
Err... 34 cards, really? Try to get to 26, at least.

Get rid of the 3 First Lights and Wild Hunt Warriors and at least 1 Operator - try 1 Operator and 1 Slyzard. Also not sure about the Longships - I would remove them too.

If you insist - remove 1 WH Rider and leave one First Light in your deck - it can always be useful.

Imperial Manticore is next to useless if you don't have, like, Monsters Nest to reuse it with Ghoul. But than you need the Drowner better, to pull stuff in Frost. So, the meta way to replace it is to craft Iris (which is Neutral and you can use in all your decks) and than Caretaker to replace vanilla Geralt, so you can use her twice in R3 as a finisher (this way you can keep 1 WH Warrior in deck, just in case).

You can always try and something "different", like - craft Frightener and Succubus as R3 Finisher, where you play the Silver Spy for card advantage and than steal it back if it's the highest points Unit on the other side of the board. This works really well at least till Rank 15-16 for sure.

- Yeah, I tried up to 25 last time, but it felt like a weak deck, especially against Northern Realms.
- I'll remove First Light and WH Riders, but I believe the Longships would be great boosters (then again they are too fragile).
- I'll try and craft the Operator. I used the 1 sylzard last time with 25 and I ran out of cards to pull from my deck (even though I already removed 1 Navigator).
- I see why the ghoul is useful now. (I'll add him to my Vampiric Elder Deck - I have crafted and luckily collected all cards that consume.)
- Frightener, already have it - it's a double edge sword.
- Succubus - must need along with Caretaker.
- yeah, a finisher, this is what this deck also lacks.

Thanks for the suggestions... :D

DigzGwentplayer;n9921831 said:
- Yeah, I tried up to 25 last time, but it felt like a weak deck, especially against Northern Realms.
What are you lacking against NR? Early tempo against Henselt and Siege Towers, I believe. This is a tough one and if you lost the Coin Flip it's even worse, but you can still play around it.

- I'll remove First Light and WH Riders, but I believe the Longships would be great boosters (then again they are too fragile)...
Riders are a must to have, while Longships are really unreliable in this meta (or the one before) - they are easy to steal with Muzzle and destroyed in general. Maybe nice to pull one with Eredin in R3 if you have enough WH Units on the board. Also don't forget about Scorch City - they line up perfectly for a big one.

... I'll try and craft the Operator. I used the 1 sylzard last time with 25 and I ran out of cards to pull from my deck (even though I already removed 1 Navigator)...
You don't need Operator in Wild Hunt, trust me. WAY better Silvers to craft. And how the hell did you managed to run out of cards??? Play more smart and use one Frost on one Row and just Drowners to pull stuff there. Two rows if you are out of Drowners or opponent is playing around with swarm too much. Two WH Navigators is too much (I meant Navigators, not Operators up there, sorry).

- I see why the ghoul is useful now. (I'll add him to my Vampiric Elder Deck - I have crafted and luckily collected all cards that consume.)
Monsters Nest is a really useful card for 90% of Monsters Decks. You have Dorregarey and this will be another 10 STR Drowner here (+4 DMG and synergy with Frost).

- Frightener, already have it - it's a double edge sword.
- Succubus - must need along with Caretaker.
Frightener and Succubus in R3 for Card Advantage and you should be fine as a finisher. Caretaker if you have Iris, otherwise he's really situational.

Hey guys,
I recently started playing Gwent and I thoroughly enjoy both the game and its community.
For the most part, I pay Frost Eredin, and crafted a couple of cards: another Rider, another Hound and some Drowners, as well as Iris and Jotunn (although since crafting him, I haven't drawn him in like 12 games o_O).
I'm saving up scrap to craft Caretaker and possibly Ge'els after that.

Now, here's my problem: I hate to start the game! Since almost all my cards are reactionary, it happens quite frequently that I don't really want to play anything. Playing Hounds without knowing where the opponent will drop is usually silly (unless I have tons of Drowners on hand), same with Warriors, Riders, etc.

The only card really in my deck which I can drop immediately is Geralt, and sometimes I just don't have him in hand.
An earlier version of my deck used Frost Giants, which I'd drop and then wait for the Frost to come, but I since phased them out. Maybe I should bring them back? What are all the other Frost players doing - what do you drop when having to start a game?
Just today, I had one game, where the opponent played two or three cards that left no board presence (among them a spy for my side), and I was really left without a clue what to play.

Apart from that, the deck is doing really well - so I'm not looking for general pointers, but some advice (or your experiences) for this particular problem would be great.
Thanks in advance ...

Deck:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/37213-monster-frost-iris

OnboardMother

Welcome to the forums. The first card I recommend crafting is Frightener (drop Dudu), not only because it's a spy but also because it can be played into the frost and drag another unit with it.

When you have to start first, you can always play a Hound and next turn use a Drowner to drag a unit into the frost. Alternatively, you can open with Frightener (once you have the card), if you can catch up to the opponent in one turn. Furthermore, it's possible to play a Rider, when your opponent doesn't have a "board presence".

Last edited:

Raunbjorn

OnboardMother;n10003171 said:
Hey guys,
I recently started playing Gwent and I thoroughly enjoy both the game and its community.
For the most part, I pay Frost Eredin, and crafted a couple of cards: another Rider, another Hound and some Drowners, as well as Iris and Jotunn (although since crafting him, I haven't drawn him in like 12 games o_O).
I'm saving up scrap to craft Caretaker and possibly Ge'els after that.

Now, here's my problem: I hate to start the game! Since almost all my cards are reactionary, it happens quite frequently that I don't really want to play anything. Playing Hounds without knowing where the opponent will drop is usually silly (unless I have tons of Drowners on hand), same with Warriors, Riders, etc.

The only card really in my deck which I can drop immediately is Geralt, and sometimes I just don't have him in hand.
An earlier version of my deck used Frost Giants, which I'd drop and then wait for the Frost to come, but I since phased them out. Maybe I should bring them back? What are all the other Frost players doing - what do you drop when having to start a game?
Just today, I had one game, where the opponent played two or three cards that left no board presence (among them a spy for my side), and I was really left without a clue what to play.

Apart from that, the deck is doing really well - so I'm not looking for general pointers, but some advice (or your experiences) for this particular problem would be great.
Thanks in advance ...

Deck:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/37213-monster-frost-iris

My best advice is to stop crafting rares since you will get them sooner rather than later. Focus on epics and legendaries. And FYI the new patch hits next week so don't craft too many cards anyway as they will maybe become irrelevant then. But yeah, crafting Caretaker and Geels is pretty safe though if you can't wait. ;) Frightener is good too but you will have to learn when and when not to use him. Oh and yeah, losing the coinflip is somewhat of an issue in this game :p

Thanks for the suggestions so far, really appreciated.

4RM3D3D Yeah, the Frightener I had to read up on, because I didn't really 'get' how the card is supposed to work, but it's true, that would be a good first drop. Maybe even in combination with something like the toadprince or whatever he's called, so I could also eat it. :)

And Hydrahead, yes, coming from other games I somehow expected going first to be an advantage, and just now stumbled upon an article outlining why indeed it is actually a disadvantage. So at least I'm not alone in my preference in going second.

Other cards I was thinking about were the double frost card, which I could just play early and spam Frost rows, the mentioned Frightener is the other option.

OnboardMother;n10003751 said:
4RM3D3D Yeah, the Frightener I had to read up on, because I didn't really 'get' how the card is supposed to work, but it's true, that would be a good first drop. Maybe even in combination with something like the toadprince or whatever he's called, so I could also eat it. :)

* 4RM3D

Anyhow, it's true that Toad Prince is another good usage for Frightener when you are not in the position to use the spy to your advantage.

OnboardMother;n10003751 said:
Other cards I was thinking about were the double frost card, which I could just play early and spam Frost rows

That would actually be a bad opening for a number of reasons:
1. You are (over)committing a silver which doesn't give points, meaning the opponent can immediately pass, putting you minus 2 cards.
2. Having two rows of frost isn't better than having 1 row of frost when there aren't any (enough) units.
3. It doesn't thin your deck like the Hound does and, in case the opponent passes early, you can't use Slyzard.

I know you didn't specifically said to use it as an opener, but I wanted to point it out, just in case.

4RM3D;n10003841 said:

Sorry. :eek:
When I use the @, the board seems to show me the correct user in 'white on white', so the first time I chose the wrong name. The second time, I just chose the white. ^^

I would add First Light to give you some anti-weather. Also, I bet Hailstorm would play well with Jotun and the drowners.

OnboardMother

Abaya is good, not just for clearing weather, but also for killing units with venom. Hailstorm is pretty meh and requires a very specific board setup in order to gain good value. I don't think it's worth the risk and you really need your silver slots for more important and consistent cards.

Abaya is good with weather, but can backfire like a son of a bitch against Eredin with Caretaker - and this is the deck you are running her in for the most part. And especially in mirror. I just had to remove her from my decks because of that.

I would 1000% recommend you Monsters Nest - this is a tremendous and flexible card that has couple of utilities that can pull you out from deep shit (namely Drowner and Ghoul).

Top Bottom