Help Improve Wild Hunt Deck

+
Help Improve Wild Hunt Deck

I've been playing properly for about a month although only ranked mode in the last week or so. I'm at rank 14 but I'm feeling that my deck might not be fit for purpose. I'm looking for any pointers from more experienced players about what changes I might look to make.

As you can see I'm basically playing a wild hunt weather deck which may not be the best out there but I found it accessible.

Things I'm considering:

1) Whether the Crones are worth it? To get them in the deck you have to cut half your silvers and I'm not sure if it was worth it?
2) Can't quite work out my 5 golds. I think it's between Geralt: Igni, Caretaker, Ge'els, Caranthir and Imlerith.
3) Whether Wild Hunt Riders are worth it?
4) Are Frost Giants any good at all?
5) I've got a bunch of random 'tech' cards which are very situational - e.g Griffin, Archgriffin and Dimeritirum Shackles. Thing is, what would I replace these with?

Any suggestions on how I can improve the deck would be great. Attached is an image of my decklist.

Attachments

• photo161631.png
    photo161631.png
    655.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Wild hunt archetype wont get u far in ranked. It is very conditional and u need to win round 1 in order to have a chance to win all the game. The riders can be countered pretty easily. Leave this deck for fun casual games and play swarm or consume in ranked.

Hi.

The Wild Hunt archetype is not viable. It's tier 3.

1. Crones are not auto-include but they're good.

2. You mean 4 golds? Not five, right? Caranthir is good. If you running him you probably should include the Water Hag for Lacerate after the C. Gigni is almost auto-include for every deck right now. Cant go wrong here. Ge'els is ok but you need to be careful. You might not draw what you wanted if played early. Imlerith - somewhat ok.

3. WH Riders absolutely not worth it. Long setup. Easily countered by any deck. You basically asking to be burned alive.

4. Ice Giant is... well...almost ok i suppose...

5. Dont run too many situational tech cards. A few should be enough. Depending on the decks you encounter most. Dont know what decks are prevalent at rank 14 so cant recommend anything.

General thoughts.

If you like the pure WH archetype play it in casual. For ranked you need something else. If you still want to use Eredin as Leader my general rec. would be ( keep in mind it's but one example ):

- WH riders all
- WH warriors x1 ( might consider remove all of em )
- Ice Giants all
- Nithral
- Griffin x1
+ Archgriffin x1
+ 3rd Hound + Frost
+ Celaeno Harpy x2 x3
+ Water Hag
+ thunderbolt potion
Replacing Imlerith with Old Speartip is an option.
Replacing White Frost with Scorch is an option.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

In terms of why Wild Hunt I definitely got unlucky because I had just started playing and crafted the cards for this deck which was going well and then they nerfed weather with the recent patch...opps

Its funny that I basically have been doing the opposite of what is suggested I.e going in on round one. I usually give up the first round pretty easily and then win by surprising opponents with value from Crones, Caretaker etc whilst having too many frost options for my opponent to clear. I guess however this strategy is relying on the general power level of Monster Golds and Silvers rather than Wild Hunt cards per se.

On that point,the reason I removed Ge'els was that I found as you warned it could be very awkward especially as it doesn't work well with Crones since you have a high chance of drawing a Crone.

I would say that despite WHs weaknesses it has the strength of not presenting many huge targets for scorch or Geralt Igni.

In terms of other monster decks I have a few questions:

1) What is swarm?
2) Are Fog based decks any good tier wise?

HenryBukowski;n9224321 said:
1) What is swarm?

Both of these are TOP Decks right now. Easily 4k+ mmr.

Dagon Swarm is well...swarm of low strength units buffed by triss butt, yen, commander horn, etc. plus alot of carry-over ( eggs, golems )

Dagon fog - clone foglets with nekker warrior so that you have 7-9 foglets in round 3. In r3 woodland spirit as finisher. Plus damage from fog.

It's also possible to combine both of these decks.

HenryBukowski;n9224321 said:
In terms of other monster decks I have a few questions:

1) What is swarm?

Fog Cards... they are used along in Consume based deck for better proficiency .
woodland spirit (gold card ) is the most prefered card by Fog Deck users

imo Riders are okay if you don't try to be greedy with them. The fact they get resiliency if you lose the round is a plus. But I know a lot of peoples won't agree with that and consider this unit crap, there is some arguments for both point of views.

Nithral is terrible in his current state, I would remove him.

The crones, well I'm not a big fan of them in this deck, they don't give you much here and that's a lot of silver to cut out for them.

I would also remove the Griffin and Dimeritium shakles. The first one being WAY too situational and the second is only for control deck, really.

Ice giants are fine but keep in mind, WH frost deck is far from being the most functional deck atm, hopefully they give them some more tool later on but right now, you need to accept to lose quiet a bit because the truth being, they don't have any great unit. All of them range from "bad" to "okay" compared to other archetypes.

Thing I'm getting used to coming from other CCGs is that since the card pool is small right now, there really aren't many alternatives to cards that define an archetype - there's not much realistically to replace wild hunt rider or ice giant with except to just change the archetype. As you say maybe it will change in future with more cards and synergy.

Does anyone have a link to 'standard' decklists for these other monster decks? I use gwentify a bit but the decks seem to vary a lot. Also how reliable as a guide are rhe ratings on gwentify/gwentleman? When I have to choose between legendaries and epics in a keg I usually use those ratings out of 5 people have given if I'm unsure between two cards.

At the moment any crafting I would do I would like to not be closing off options. E.G I crafted Geralt: Igni on the basis that it can go in different decks. So one last question is what is safely craftable and flexible enough to go in different archetypes?

At the moment my golds are:

Caretaker
Caranthir
Imlerith
Ge'els
Cerys
Iorveth
Leo Bonhart
Menno Coohorn
Vilgefortz
Gigni
Geralt
Triss
Plus the leaders

Thanks guys!

HenryBukowski;n9224921 said:
So one last question is what is safely craftable and flexible enough to go in different archetypes?

from you post it's not clear whether you interested in all factions or monster in particular ( since you post all ur golds ) so ill post all good golds (minus yours):

Ciri Dash
Ciri
Avalach
Yen (default, not con. )
Renew
Old Speartip
Woodlandspirit
Isingrim
Saskia
Vattier
Dandelion
Шпили Villi s..aahm..BBorkh

Last edited:
Thanks Nunqmuo. So I want to eventually play some Nilfgardian decks but until I collect or craft more of the key cards I'm playing Monster.

I've seen another post on here asking why does anyone play monsters but for me it's just what I have the cards to play. The first legendary choice I had was caranthir and two other starter legendaries and then I opened caretaker so yeah It's what I've fallen into.

One more thing, your tech cards are too situational. I would run one copy of Alzur's thunder and one of Lacerate.
AT is a great removal that can take down key units from your opponent (mangonel, Raging berserker, Mahakam defender...) it's almost impossible not to find a good target for it.
Lacerate is mainly because of Monster swarm being quiet potent in the current meta.

It could also be a good idea to add one clear sky because weather is not dead and you will find some players running some by time to time (especially RnR and Drought).
Besides, Clear skies is really not that bad of a spell, the rally effect is helpful and the WH deck isn't the type of deck that suffers from fetching a random unit (at least they have that).
I wouldn't play the Archgriffin though, this unit is probably one of the worst anti-weather unit in the game (in fact, one of the worst unit in general).

HenryBukowski;n9226661 said:
Thanks Nunqmuo. So I want to eventually play some Nilfgardian decks but until I collect or craft more of the key cards I'm playing Monster.

I've seen another post on here asking why does anyone play monsters but for me it's just what I have the cards to play. The first legendary choice I had was caranthir and two other starter legendaries and then I opened caretaker so yeah It's what I've fallen into.

Monsters is strong faction. They always find a way after patches to be a top tier decks. So if you like the flavor and the gameplay of M faction stick with it. Craft woodland spirit, frightener, crones, grave hag, water hag, fire elemental, fiend + neutral Triss Butt, Yen, Bekkers Twisted Mirror, Decoy, Iris. That way you could build a few strong decks and adapt to future patches.

P.S. There's a new WH deck on DB. You might want to check IT out.

Last edited:
I get to 17 rank from 13 with this WH+Bravery deck and it's the limit for it, I suppose.
Leader - Eredin
Bronze
3x Frost + 3x WH Hound
2x Chort
2x Archgriffin
2x Harpy
2x WH Rider
1x First Light
Silver
Manticore
King of Beggars
Nithral
ADC
Frightener
Fiend
Gold
Imlerith
Vanilla Geralt
Geralt: Igni
Regis (Recently swapped him for Caranthir)

Now I am considering some changes in it - Chort agains Nilfgaard is double-edged sword and Nithral rarely pays itself.

Guest 4189891

The best way I think to improve the Wild Hunt deck would be to buff the Frost effect so that it ignores Armor. Lorewise, it makes sense. A heavy suit of armor isn't going to keep the cold out. Also it would really help against NR which easily counters the WH deck by using tons of Armor. The Redanian Knight card actually gets stronger every turn with Frost! It's such a nasty pain in the backside to fight NR with a WH deck, all because of the armor.

I am playing a complete wild hunt deck and i am 17-7-1 so far on ranked. Great deck till now ( maybe when they start finding new combos in other factions it will become less competitive dunno). The weaknesses of this deck are scoatel spell deck cause frost is your major win condition and when u use it against them they will
always end up with a 1 pt unit to use stemmor and spawn an earth elemental, and the NR armor deck as its the antidote to frost. You can still though win against them ( with a great draw)

Last edited:
Top Bottom