Nilfgaardian Deck Strategies

+
OzPsych0;n8814860 said:
Hey guys, first post for me, didn't know where else to make this but am I able to get some advice / help on making this deck better?

The original idea behind the deck was to use Cahir and Voorhis to boost my Spotters but the deck has been inconsistent and tends to lose to... well quite a few things. I know that the card count is high but it felt to me just having the standard 25 that I was losing out on damage.

I don't have a big card pool as I just started not too long ago, I know that I have to save up my scraps to craft a few things... possibly expensive things, but I wanted to get your opinions on it so I have a direction in which to go.

If any of you have or had a similar deck how did you like it? Are/were you lacking damage output ?

you should chose a direction first. Do you want to play reveal nilfgaard, or spy nilfgaard? because the two don't go together.

Yeah I was having some trouble with choosing a direction, but now I believe that I want to go with reveal nilfgaard, I seem to be having a bit more success with playing a bit more reveal cards

So this new patch totally broke the strategy with the Golems. Plus the -1 nerf to their power, now you need to choose a card BEFORE they are deployed and often you end with a dead choice - like - pick up a Golem or Clear Weather or Shackles or whatever... OR EMISSARY which have to choose between two GOLEMS.

Why screw this combo so badly?

Last edited:
partci;n8893620 said:
So this new patch totally broke the strategy with the Golems. Plus the -1 nerf to their power, now you need to choose a card BEFORE they are deployed and often you end with a dead choice - like - pick up a Golem or Clear Weather or Shackles or whatever.

Why screw this up so badly?

It was a very powerful turn 1 for Nilfgaard. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it made playing Nilfgaard just that much more consistent compared to other decks. Also, because of how powerful a play it was it made choosing a different leader or a different set of bronze cards in place of the golems a difficult choice. Nearly everyone who was playing Nilfgaard was playing golems + Calveit. Based on what we have seen from CDPR thus far I don't think that is what they wanted. Diversity in decks should be encouraged and this change definitely does that.

Was it a good idea? I'm not sure. We'll have to see how things shake out.

Well, I am removing the Golems from my deck now. It is OK to nerf their power, but it's no use if they screw my turn (first or tenth) 3 games out of 5 (so far), so - bravo for the diversity.

So far I think NG took a huge hit with this patch.

Sargarth;n8650800 said:
Here's the deck I just reached 1.5k mmr with 80+ winrate. Very solid in terms of control, thinning and pure power. R3 this deck is stronger than QG chain and r1 you cant beat the tempo. Even Swim's tempo dorfs cant beat the power of this deck in my experience. I even had to add 3 cards over standart 25 card size due to overthinning myself. However i believe emissaries are going to get nerfed even more by blocking possibility of pulling vico novices with it.

I only recently started playing, but was going for a deck like this one. Thanks for sharing!

The core synergies in a spy deck are obvious, but I was somewhat unsure about what tech cards to use. As a new player I can't really tell what the meta is atm, so your list of tech choices was a big help.

partci;n8893920 said:
So far I think NG took a huge hit with this patch.

Well, as far as the Golems are concerned, I switched them out for 2 Nauzicaa Brigade and 1 First Light (although I suppose you could also pick a third Impera Brigade instead, it's just that low-level casual matches seem to be crawling with Monster weather decks).

It is certainly less powerful in Round 1, but at least it doesn't mess with Calveit's ability.

Asobimaru;n8902260 said:
I only recently started playing, but was going for a deck like this one. Thanks for sharing!

The core synergies in a spy deck are obvious, but I was somewhat unsure about what tech cards to use. As a new player I can't really tell what the meta is atm, so your list of tech choices was a big help.

Well, as far as the Golems are concerned, I switched them out for 2 Nauzicaa Brigade and 1 First Light (although I suppose you could also pick a third Impera Brigade instead, it's just that low-level casual matches seem to be crawling with Monster weather decks).

It is certainly less powerful in Round 1, but at least it doesn't mess with Calveit's ability.

Pretty sure golems are still a must have. Just that it's risky now.

I agree that Nilfgaard took a major hit with the update. My wins/losses were pretty balanced beforehand. It looks like Nilfgaard was the only deck to really get hurt by the update. Does anyone else agree? Im thinking of changing decks. Or am I crazy?

No Title

Today something happened and my Letho deck got on a BAD losing streak... so I tweak the things a bit and finished up with the following screenshots (one of few games that had ridiculous-like-this-one ending):

Attachments

• photo153860.jpg
    photo153860.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 54
why assessination doesn´t demote the object? It would be perfect... demote, lock and kill. Bye bye hjalmar!!

Hey guys.

Cause I am not sure that the most of you go to the Tech Support sub-forum, I am posting this link to the Xasthrisus-Treason Combo issue I've encountered and want it to discuss it. This happens CONSTANTLY. And I mean I play Xanthritus one turn, my opponent plays whatever, I play Treason and I get totally different card 4 out 5 times!

It's atrocious.

Anyone knows anything about it?

I am experimenting with Letho/Menno Bomb now... it actually works, as you can include Cantarella into the mix with some other juicy unit, as lately almost nobody passes after you throw Cantarella anyway.

partci;n9407191 said:
I am experimenting with Letho/Menno Bomb now... it actually works, as you can include Cantarella into the mix with some other juicy unit, as lately almost nobody passes after you throw Cantarella anyway.

I've been running with menno/Letho for a good amount of time. I feel it's not worth the combo anymore. Letho only does one adjacent unit on each side now. More units are agile so it's harder to get the bigger targets. I decided to drop Letho and go with a different gold

Still a better value than Tyborg, in my estimation. Also, you have a second removal for him with Peter. It is easily -18-30 points in most games.

partci;n9440981 said:
Still a better value than Tyborg, in my estimation. Also, you have a second removal for him with Peter. It is easily -18-30 points in most games.

Very good point. I would have never guessed to use Peter. It should kill Letho the same as menno would do. Thank you:) looks like I'll be calling on Letho again.

I haven't tried letho-peter/menno combo yet, but I think it's better if letho is not even there and peter works by himself. Letho-ing 16 and 11 points, then using peter to finish it is worth 32 points play, which is 16 points for each card. But if there's something that got boosted by 8 or damaged by 8, then peter is worth 16 already by himself (assuming its base power is 3 or more). A 16 points gold is alright if not for its condition of targeting a 16 points unit. Letho-ing 8 and 11 + peter = 24, 12 for each. I'd say it's better to play something else than Letho, dagon/eredin has no huge stuff to target. But it might be really good if it can get into 11+28 points, with peter it would be a 44 points play, 22 for each.

Anyway, I recently found a possibly new NG archetype, weather nilfgaard. Basically it revolves on extending the rounds to absurd length with Magne Division feat Operator, and of course, play weathers. I tried it with both gold weathers, skellige storm, and vanhemar for extra. Works good, so long that the opponent doesn't have any clear skies. Vrihedd Brigade can't handle the weather well, and I still won against them. I used Emhyr and Cahir to recycle Dorregaray for drowners. Much fun, but still good to be able to win. Really feels bad when magne draws them their first light. Decklist.

I've also tested Emhyr spy, and it's actually good. But I can't say that it is better than Calveit's version, theoritically calveit is the better choice there. My calveit version runs 1x Enforcer 2x Medic, and my Emhyr runs 3x Enforcer 3x Medic (for thinning). It might be that which mattered, but anyway, Emhyr's version has much better flexibility, from getting another silver spy, to replaying Vanhemar/Ceallach/Dorregaray. Dorregaray is good even for its Drowner/Ekimmara, Vanhemar can spawn weather if needed. Dorregaray for a bear might solve spy-deck's issue of having just a 6-drop for turn 1 play, unless a little RNG is involved through Emissary (correct me if I'm wrong). Decklist.

It's interesting how I could play any NG archetype with Emhyr, plus mill and weather that only Emhyr can lead. I've tried Emhyr reveal, but it's worse than Morvran's version since it can only run 1-2 golems, and no mangonels. I've also figured how fun Emhyr -> Cahir -> something, then bounce 2 cards is. Feels like you really own the turn.

overcold_ice;n9494381 said:
I haven't tried letho-peter/menno combo yet, but I think it's better if letho is not even there and peter works by himself. Letho-ing 16 and 11 points, then using peter to finish it is worth 32 points play, which is 16 points for each card. But if there's something that got boosted by 8 or damaged by 8, then peter is worth 16 already by himself (assuming its base power is 3 or more). A 16 points gold is alright if not for its condition of targeting a 16 points unit. Letho-ing 8 and 11 + peter = 24, 12 for each. I'd say it's better to play something else than Letho, dagon/eredin has no huge stuff to target. But it might be really good if it can get into 11+28 points, with peter it would be a 44 points play, 22 for each.

Anyway, I recently found a possibly new NG archetype, weather nilfgaard. Basically it revolves on extending the rounds to absurd length with Magne Division feat Operator, and of course, play weathers. I tried it with both gold weathers, skellige storm, and vanhemar for extra. Works good, so long that the opponent doesn't have any clear skies. Vrihedd Brigade can't handle the weather well, and I still won against them. I used Emhyr and Cahir to recycle Dorregaray for drowners. Much fun, but still good to be able to win. Really feels bad when magne draws them their first light. Decklist..

Its a love hate with Letho at the moment. It's great to be able to banish cards you know the opponent will need or try to fish back out. It's also a nice small bonus since he will give your brigade points or enforcers to deal damage. Of course downfall is sometimes it just feels like such a waste of a gold slot. Can't use him defensively anymore and just a plain 9 gold.

I've been trying myself to make an assassin/weather deck. At the moment it's just taking to much to setup or runs out of steam. Going to try over the weekend and do some more testing.

Top Bottom