Nilfgaardian Deck Strategies

+
So far, I find Voorhis and semi-spy deck being fun. Emhyr and reveal isn't as good, imo. And Calveit with Letho needs a few things to get going first to be successful.

Having a lot of fun with a spy deck i have dubbed Letho's Twisted Mirror.

The basic idea that inspired the deck was to Banish stuff with Letho and then steal the power back with Bekker's Twisted Mirror, but it evolved a bit.

Edit:

With a few more matches behind me I have made some changes to my deck list:

Leader:
John Calveit

Gold:
Letho
Cahir
Bekker's Twisted Mirror
Yennefer (Not conjurer) *possible placeholder until I get Menno Coehorn

Silver
Celleach
Cantarella
Joachim De Wett
D. Bomb
Decoy
Treason

Bronze
3x Engineers
3x Emmisary
3x Ambassador
2x Impera Enforcers
1x First Light
1x D. Shackles
2x Nilfgaard Knights

Reasons for changing:

The Emmisaries and De Wett were pulling Medics way too often even when I worked to avoid it. Now the Emmisaries let me thin my deck and then drag them all back to my side of the board with little risk.

The Knights were added as heavy power for either buff + engineer (though I prefer turn 1 Celleach or Enforcers for that) or those final turns which i often struggled with due to low power outside of the combos.

I cut an Enforcer as despite beeing powerful, especially with Cahir, they are dead drops once all hero abilities have been used. With Celleach there as well i usually have no problem pulling a hero ability buff card in my opening hand.

Cutting a First Light might cause problems and I might go to 26 cards just to add it back.

Considering cutting treason as between my hero ability and Cahir it rarely seems all that powerful. Might look into adding some specialized silver cards from the Nilfgaard list, like the guy who discards copies from deck to graveyard.

Old thoughts:
The idea here should be obvious. Play Spies, steal them back with hero ability, refresh hero ability with Cahri and repeat as necesary, buffing Enforcers and Celleach as you go.

Og specific interactions is the use Decoy to replay a stolen Cantarella for card advantage, even better if you can steal it back all over again.

But the bread and butter of the deck is the use of Bekker's Twisted Mirror in conjuction with Letho or just spies in general. With the spies floating around at 2 points of power they are usually the target when Bekker's Twisted Mirror gets played and with your hero ability or treason you can steal back the creature that gets targeted. In the best cases Letho has decimated a line of enemies before you do this.

Problematic aspects right now is the Medics, who when pulled by the Emmisary's on round 1 do nothing.

I am also considering popping in some Combat Engineers as the Ambasadors in conjuction with Enforcers tend to go high in power. Possibly I will drop a Medic and Emmisary for two Engineers.

In general I strive to play Celleach or an Enforcer before any spies to limit problems with Emmisary and Ambasador.

Not played to many matches with it yet, but the deck is fun to pilot and getting those massive swing turns with a well used Bekker Twisted Mirror steel feels great.

Of general ideas for where to with the deck, outside Engineers, I want to add Coehorn for getting rid of any leftover spies, but I am not sure if it is needed. Keeping Yennefer might be better to get a gold 1 power creature for Twisted Mirror target. I am also considering fitting in Sweers for more easily pressuring enemy strategies and giving Medic's targets for round 1.

Last edited:
Respectfully, I think everyone is missing the point with Nilf. Emhyr is the starting leader, yes. He has an ability that caters to those cards that have activated abilities based on revealing cards. That's just one strategy that can be followed through with the Nilf faction.

But take a look at the next Nilf leader... Voorhis. His ability, in my opinion is the best of all the leaders... equal only to Francesca. I believe that a player with true strategy is looking for specific cards in his/her deck. Cycling it to get the best possible chance of drawing needed cards is vital. And when the game depends on getting that needed card... Voorhis ability is absolutely staggering. So for anyone new to card games.... remember, it's easy throwing in a ton of cards that are good (or that you like). But the real strategy is keeping the card count LOW in your deck... as close to 25 as possible. Have one or two strategies that you are implementing. A low card count gives you a high chance of drawing at least one of those strategies. Combine with Voorhis and something like Avallac'h and/or Skellen and/or Albrich..... and you almost guarantee drawing what's needed. Now you just have to make sure that your strategies are killer.... and THOSE I will not reveal (mainly because they're still balancing and anything I say now is subject to change).

It's not an abuse, it'a strategy, and if you struggle against it just win round 1 against it and you will have greatly reduced the odds of cahir "winning" games. Besides, most of the time a cahir player won't need cahir to trigger to win, it's just a plus for turn 3.

JoachimDeWett;n7851500 said:
It's not an abuse, it'a strategy, and if you struggle against it just win round 1 against it and you will have greatly reduced the odds of cahir "winning" games. Besides, most of the time a cahir player won't need cahir to trigger to win, it's just a plus for turn 3.
Dude, I'm crushing people using my Cahir build. It is an abuse. All you need is to go second in the 3rd round.
It's just sad that some defend this type of shite, pardon my French.

Unfortunate, because Nilfgaard has a lot of potential.

HenryGrosmont;n7852450 said:
Dude, I'm crushing people using my Cahir build.

So what ? A lot of decks out there have a strong positive win ratio, it's called a meta. And Cahir decks have bad match-ups, just not against the meta decks. :) As I said, against Cahir, winning round 1 is all it takes.

Last edited:
JoachimDeWett;n7853400 said:
So what ? A lot of decks out there have a strong positive win ratio, it's called a meta. And Cahir decks have bad match-ups, just not against the meta decks. :) As I said, against Cahir, winning round 1 is all it takes.

And I disagree. Many use wrong cards in this deck, if I may. Losing round 1 isn't a big issue at all.

JoachimDeWett;n7853400 said:

Since Milva got nerfed Cahir should be nerfed. In fact Cahir is more abusable than Milva pre-nerf because he doesn't require full card advantage, he just needs the opponent to go first. "It's called a meta" Mardroeme spam and bouncing Mercs was the meta once and that was god awful...

And just win round one? If only it were so simple. You can counter every strategy in the game by just winning round one jesus christ.

OptoNick;n7575310 said:
Not sure how it will be after the balance fix, but in current meta Emhyr's ability would be practically useless. ST and NR burning through the deck in round 1, and everyone have the same cards, with very little variations. You can say for sure what they have in hand in round 2/3 by giving one look in their graveyard.

And this ability can't change anything on the field - even Francesca has indirect impact on the game. But with Emhyr it's like you're just stalling a turn.

Actually if you think about it, stalling a turn would be a very useful ability. Should incorporate it in some cards.

TriforceDragon;n7757160 said:
Having a lot of fun with a spy deck i have dubbed Letho's Twisted Mirror.

The basic idea that inspired the deck was to Banish stuff with Letho and then steal the power back with Bekker's Twisted Mirror, but it evolved a bit.

Edit:

With a few more matches behind me I have made some changes to my deck list:

Leader:
John Calveit

Gold:
Letho
Cahir
Bekker's Twisted Mirror
Yennefer (Not conjurer) *possible placeholder until I get Menno Coehorn

Silver
Celleach
Cantarella
Joachim De Wett
D. Bomb
Decoy
Treason

Bronze
3x Engineers
3x Emmisary
3x Ambassador
2x Impera Enforcers
1x First Light
1x D. Shackles
2x Nilfgaard Knights

Reasons for changing:

The Emmisaries and De Wett were pulling Medics way too often even when I worked to avoid it. Now the Emmisaries let me thin my deck and then drag them all back to my side of the board with little risk.

The Knights were added as heavy power for either buff + engineer (though I prefer turn 1 Celleach or Enforcers for that) or those final turns which i often struggled with due to low power outside of the combos.

I cut an Enforcer as despite beeing powerful, especially with Cahir, they are dead drops once all hero abilities have been used. With Celleach there as well i usually have no problem pulling a hero ability buff card in my opening hand.

Cutting a First Light might cause problems and I might go to 26 cards just to add it back.

Considering cutting treason as between my hero ability and Cahir it rarely seems all that powerful. Might look into adding some specialized silver cards from the Nilfgaard list, like the guy who discards copies from deck to graveyard.

Old thoughts:
The idea here should be obvious. Play Spies, steal them back with hero ability, refresh hero ability with Cahri and repeat as necesary, buffing Enforcers and Celleach as you go.

Og specific interactions is the use Decoy to replay a stolen Cantarella for card advantage, even better if you can steal it back all over again.

But the bread and butter of the deck is the use of Bekker's Twisted Mirror in conjuction with Letho or just spies in general. With the spies floating around at 2 points of power they are usually the target when Bekker's Twisted Mirror gets played and with your hero ability or treason you can steal back the creature that gets targeted. In the best cases Letho has decimated a line of enemies before you do this.

Problematic aspects right now is the Medics, who when pulled by the Emmisary's on round 1 do nothing.

I am also considering popping in some Combat Engineers as the Ambasadors in conjuction with Enforcers tend to go high in power. Possibly I will drop a Medic and Emmisary for two Engineers.

In general I strive to play Celleach or an Enforcer before any spies to limit problems with Emmisary and Ambasador.

Not played to many matches with it yet, but the deck is fun to pilot and getting those massive swing turns with a well used Bekker Twisted Mirror steel feels great.

Of general ideas for where to with the deck, outside Engineers, I want to add Coehorn for getting rid of any leftover spies, but I am not sure if it is needed. Keeping Yennefer might be better to get a gold 1 power creature for Twisted Mirror target. I am also considering fitting in Sweers for more easily pressuring enemy strategies and giving Medic's targets for round 1.

Ambassadors + Engineers + Knights seems to be a staple of Nilf power. Couple Fogs + Geralt Ard, Triss Conj + Geralt Igni and you have an excellent deck. What I like about Nilf are the numerous ways to search through and speed up the deck draw. Stefan, Albrich, Cynthia and Voorhis as leader really increase chances of getting the right cards.. especially with a 25 deck count and Vezimir/Eskel/Lambert 1st round deploy to thin the deck to 22. Not to mention the 1 card per round redraw. Nilf gives you an EXTREMELY high chance for needed cards.

Is this a BUG?

Joachim De Wett........... can someone explain why this card did NOT play a card to my side of the board ? This happened twice to me in the final round.........my opponent had passed....and Joachim De Wett was my last card in my hand. I would have won the match if this card did what it was supposed to do. It was suppose to play the top loyal-only non-gold unit in my hand and add 8 to it's strength.

gr8horned1;n8214340 said:
Is this a BUG?

Joachim De Wett........... can someone explain why this card did NOT play a card to my side of the board ? This happened twice to me in the final round.........my opponent had passed....and Joachim De Wett was my last card in my hand. I would have won the match if this card did what it was supposed to do. It was suppose to play the top loyal-only non-gold unit in my hand and add 8 to it's strength.

There seems to be a few bugs in the new update (it is beta afterall). I would look in the tech forum and see if it has been reported. If not and its been happening multiple times definitely report it.

Ive been getting burned on a few bugs.

I'm Loving my John Calveit spy deck.

Gold: Letho, Cahir, Steffen Skellen and Vilgefortz

Silver: Cantarella, Operator, Alzur's Double Cross, Decoy, Joachim De Witt and Roach

Bronze: 3x Impera Brigade, 3x Emissary, 3x Ambassador, 2x Combat Engineer, 2x Lacerate, D-Shackles and First Light

Alzur's Double Cross is mainly used to make sure i get the Operator and Canterella combo going seeing as Operator is 8 strength now, Decoy is usually used for a Cantarella but can also be used for an extra Combat Engineer if my initial target gets locked.

Impera Brigade, Emissary and Ambassador are pretty self explanatory and amazingly strong post patch, the only Gold i'm thinking of swapping out is Letho because he can be very inconsistent as he needs like 3 turns to work properly.

But when he works he basically wins you the game, like just now against a Self Wounding Skellige player who had 2 30+ Tuirsach Axeman's i used Letho to basically absorb their strength and banish them allowing me to D-Shackles a 60 strength Letho and bring him back lol.

Seeing as i already won the first round he literally couldn't do anything short of a D-Bomb or Scorch which he obviously didn't have, but i imagine Tibor would be a more consistent performer in the deck but i don't have the scraps for him right now.

metalmaniac21;n7888530 said:
Any suggestions for a good (for low rank) 'budget' Emhyr deck?

The only 800Scrap cards from my deck are Vilgefortz and Decoy and they're not a must have.

d3vil_dant3;n7956660 said:
Someone has a good Emhyr s deck?

Here's a deck I built just a few days ago with my NG cards earned so far and 2-3 crafted.

http://imgur.com/a/po9Dm

WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS DECK?
Reveal as many cards as possible to know your opponent's hand and buff like hell your spotters and Vanhemar at the same time.
It should be easy to have 17str spotters and 21str Vanhemar in round 2-3 while winning round 1 with your Mangonels.

WHAT'S THE BEST COMBOS?
- Emisary > Mangonels in round 1 or Spotter in round 2-3.
- Mangonels > Emhry > Cahir > Emhyr.
- Mangonels > Vattier de Rideau.
- Decoy > Aldrich and get another card + another reveal.
- Double Cross > Vanhemar or a Spotter.

WHAT'S YOUR WORST ENEMIES?
- In round 1, any lock on your Mangonels.
- D-Bomb or Geralt Igni for your spotters.
- Any Card advantage.
- Obviously weather.

WHAT COULD YOU ADD/REMOVE FROM THE DECK?
- You can add Stefan Skellen to place any Spotter on top of your deck for round 2-3.
- You can add Xarthisius to remove a card from your opponent in round 1.
- You can add Cynthia since it's basically the same as Aldrich.
- You could add more control cards (Alzur thunder, Lacerate, Manticore Venom, Mardroene, etc)
- You could remove Alchemist if you don't find them interresting enough since sometime you'll reveal so many opponent's cards that they'll be dead cards.
- You could remove Vilgefortz since you don't have enough weak cards in your deck to burn or you can replace Decoy for Roach to be burned.
- You could also remove Ciri since she's really situational.

WHAT TO KEEP/REMOVE IN YOUR HAND IN ROUND 1?
- You need to target in priority : Mangonels, Double Cross/Vanhemar, Cahir, D-Shackle/Cleaver, Emissary.
- You can keep Aldrich, any other gold/silver cards.
- You can remove nilfgaardian knights, Alchemists if you already have enough reveal cards. (Cahir and Vattier for example)
- You can keep/remove Vanhemar if you already have Double Cross. If you keep it, one of your spotters will have 3 more str and you'll protect one of them from Geralt Igni. But it's not mandatory if you prefer to remove Vanhemar to get another card in round 1, it's your choice.
- You can remove any Spotters since you'll probably get them in round 2 or 3 with your passive. (or Stefan if you have it)

WHAT TO DO IN ROUND 1?
- Play Mangonels first. They can really be machine guns if you use Emhyr > Cahir > Emhyr again. 6 cards revealed = 6x2str per Mangonels.
- If you only have 1 Mangonel in your hand, you can always play your emissaries but always play your Mangonel before so if you don't get the second Mangonel you want, at least you'll be able to deal damage to your opponent with an Alchemyst or a Nilfgaardian knight.
- Keeping an unlock card can be useful since your Mangonels will be the first target to lock.
- PS : You can also use Vattier de Rideau to reveal 4 more cards if you don't have Cahir in your hand.

WHAT TO DO IN ROUND 2?
- Play your cards who reveal your hand and your opponent's one (Nilfgaardian Knights, Alchemist, Aldrich) to buff your spotter/Vanhemar but always check how many card there's left to be revealed.
- You can decoy on Aldrich to get 2 more cards and reveal 2 opponent's one.
- Play Vattier de Rideau to reveal 4 more cards (2 from each side). Reveal either Nilfgaardian knights, alchemist, Emissary, Alzur thunder or Double Cross. Try to keep your Spotter unrevealed as much as possible.
- If you want to go for a third round, try to keep your spotters/Vanhemar for round 3 if possible.

WHAT TO DO IN ROUND3?
- Play Spotter and Double Cross to bring Vanhemar

If you have any question, feel free to ask me.

Last edited:
MoleWitcher;n8217610 said:
I'm Loving my John Calveit spy deck.

Gold: Letho, Cahir, Steffen Skellen and Vilgefortz

Silver: Cantarella, Operator, Alzur's Double Cross, Decoy, Joachim De Witt and Roach

Bronze: 3x Impera Brigade, 3x Emissary, 3x Ambassador, 2x Combat Engineer, 2x Lacerate, D-Shackles and First Light

Alzur's Double Cross is mainly used to make sure i get the Operator and Canterella combo going seeing as Operator is 8 strength now, Decoy is usually used for a Cantarella but can also be used for an extra Combat Engineer if my initial target gets locked.

Impera Brigade, Emissary and Ambassador are pretty self explanatory and amazingly strong post patch, the only Gold i'm thinking of swapping out is Letho because he can be very inconsistent as he needs like 3 turns to work properly.

But when he works he basically wins you the game, like just now against a Self Wounding Skellige player who had 2 30+ Tuirsach Axeman's i used Letho to basically absorb their strength and banish them allowing me to D-Shackles a 60 strength Letho and bring him back lol.

Seeing as i already won the first round he literally couldn't do anything short of a D-Bomb or Scorch which he obviously didn't have, but i imagine Tibor would be a more consistent performer in the deck but i don't have the scraps for him right now.

Very close to one of my decks. Cantarella/operater and Decoy is one of my favorite combos. Most opponents can't resist playing cantarella and boomerang it back with decoy.

Top Bottom