turn the dying candle light to The Great sun for only 1600 Scraps

+
turn the dying candle light to The Great sun for only 1600 Scraps

just want to get a feel of what others think about nilfgaard. i'm trying to build a workable semi-competitive nilfgaard deck and the win rate is about 30% with 10% of it being opponent's connection loss.
nilfgaard is like a punching bag for other 4 if you don't own at least a couple of 800 scrap gold cards.
do something CDPR great sun's light is fading away

As someone who only plays NG, you are still going to be the punching bag even if you craft all the necessary legendaries. Cow control is the only semi-viable deck out there, but woe to you, every meta deck can deal with cow carcasses nowadays (except Radovid) so if you plan on getting to rank 14-15, avoid Nilfgaard like the plague.

I have unbelievable winstreaks at that level with Nilfgaard. Could be dumb luck, but Morvran and John Calveit decks have seen really good success rates. Here's what I'm running on Morvran's side:

http://gwentify.com/decks/total-dominance/

I will agree though that there are quite a few expensive cards you'll need to build any powerful version of a NG deck. And a lot of auto-includes like Rot Tosser, Cantarella and sometimes Vilgefortz (if you have him, no reason to drop him, like ever)

I'm slowly clawing my way up, but only at rank 6 so far. Even in this low rank bracket, most of my opponents seem to have full meta decks, so I imagine that incomplete (legendary-wise) decks may generally struggle a bit in ranked mode. The Cahir-centered deck aside, there's a guy on YouTube who plays a spies-based deck at rank 14. The series is called "John Calveit's Secret Agents". MegaMogwai also did a couple videos on a similar deck also. Their win rate seems to be around 50%, so not fantastic, but workable (high reliance on the Letho combo).

Mysling's control variants are the only really competitive choice at the moment. Spies and Revealing do fine in casual, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using them in ranked.

Mombamambo;n7920480 said:
As someone who only plays NG, you are still going to be the punching bag even if you craft all the necessary legendaries. Cow control is the only semi-viable deck out there, but woe to you, every meta deck can deal with cow carcasses nowadays (except Radovid) so if you plan on getting to rank 14-15, avoid Nilfgaard like the plague.

at least having NG legenderies can win against NG deck that doesn't have legenderies.

The way I see it, they will tweak NG a lot before the release as there really isn't many Nilfgaard decks present in competitive. I just hope they don't go around nerfing everything and instead will just change some NG mechanics (Emhyr's ability for example) to make it more viable.

I like a lot Emhyr s ability.. I m playing around him right now. But not in ranked cause i miss xarthisius and roche.. Main problem is this deck cost a lot.. But it s very funny. And have my joys.. If Emhyr will be changed donno how without ruin the concept..

I've been playing with Emhyr since day 1 and I have like 60% win rate. I use Emhyr, Cahir and Vattier to reveal most/all of enemy's cards, and once I know what he has in store, I just "control the game". My Spotters and Vanhemar all heavily buffed thanks to card revealing. Rot tosser is great for making the enemy play the cards I want him to play. Vicovaro medic helps a lot with with Scoiatel and Skellige decks in later rounds, as I can steal a lot of power from them. Cantarella helps me get card advantage or a fast win in the first round and then there is Letho. Letho is amazing. He can:
- disable three units in a enemy's row(great against monsters, skellige and NK)
- help you with upcoming weather card(which I can usually see coming because they are revealed)
- help you with the gold dragon (all my strongest units can be played in one row)
- Letho + dimeritium bomb lets me kill three of enemy's units from one row if the enemy plays the gold dragon or uses a weather, you just gather the strenght of his units into letho and change him to silver
- and finally, letho + dimerituim bomb + traitor lets me bascially steal the strenght of three non-gold units from the enemy. I leave this one for the very end. By that time cards like gerald:igni and scorch have already used for my Spotters and Vanhemar and the enemy has played his strongest units.

I love my emhyr deck. Once you see the enemy's card there is just so much thinking and planning and manipulating your enemy that I cannot stop myself from playing. Maybe it's not the most powerful deck, but it's certainly the must fun for me.

Last edited:
Dahaka33;n7950000 said:
I love my emhyr deck. Once you see the enemy's card there is just so much thinking and planning and manipulating your enemy that I cannot stop myself from playing. Maybe it's not the most powerful deck, but it's certainly the must fun for me.

I am in the same boat. I finally got my emhyr deck to the point i can get a decent win streak. With a reveal deck, i also believe it puts a psychological effect on the player. Because they now know they are exposed and theres nothing they can do that will take you but surprise. So it changes their strategy.

I finally hit rank 11 a day ago and decided to try a different leader and type of deck. I was getting demolished. Between bad draws and going against golds that i cant counter or dont have in my collection yet. It can be a bummer that NG seems to really need their Golds to just stay even rather it be icing on the cake.

But i feel NG is the most fun faction to play. Its the only one i play and have been focusing on.

Bl00dGeist;n7960250 said:
i also believe it puts a psychological effect on the player. Because they now know they are exposed and theres nothing they can do that will take you but surprise.
yea also realize that's something regarding a player that is unfamiliar with nilfgaard reveal deck and strategies, some one who has went through and most liekly lost lots of matches as nilfgaard reveal deck won't be giving a sh*t to the psychological pressure. and frankly some of decks i play i know the guy playing the reveal deck knows his loss is coming so the pressure can be both sided, you think your putting psychological pressure on me with reveal decks while i know i'm putting physical pressures on you by having better cards in my hand and weather effects that can murder your deck. you just see your end come that's the benefit of nilfgaard reveal deck right now.

Ruthless95;n7960850 said:
yea also realize that's something regarding a player that is unfamiliar with nilfgaard reveal deck and strategies, some one who has went through and most liekly lost lots of matches as nilfgaard reveal deck won't be giving a sh*t to the psychological pressure. and frankly some of decks i play i know the guy playing the reveal deck knows his loss is coming so the pressure can be both sided, you think your putting psychological pressure on me with reveal decks while i know i'm putting physical pressures on you by having better cards in my hand and weather effects that can murder your deck. you just see your end come that's the benefit of nilfgaard reveal deck right now.

You are absolutely correct. I decided to jump back to my reveal deck last night for a few matches. I matched against a SK deck and after i got to see most cards in their hand, i realized i could not win. They had about every top tier card you could have and i had no way to counter it.

While it didnt really put pressure on me, it just made me realize i wasnt going to win and not waste time drawing it out.

I swear...ever since i hit rank 11 i have been getting demolished and matched up with other players that have full collection of cards, while im struggling to get the cards i need.

Bl00dGeist;n7960250 said:
I am in the same boat. I finally got my emhyr deck to the point i can get a decent win streak. With a reveal deck, i also believe it puts a psychological effect on the player. Because they now know they are exposed and theres nothing they can do that will take you but surprise. So it changes their strategy.

I finally hit rank 11 a day ago and decided to try a different leader and type of deck. I was getting demolished. Between bad draws and going against golds that i cant counter or dont have in my collection yet. It can be a bummer that NG seems to really need their Golds to just stay even rather it be icing on the cake.

But i feel NG is the most fun faction to play. Its the only one i play and have been focusing on.

This matches my experience maining with NG almost exactly. Gotta start shelling out the scrap for neutral golds and silver weather cards to be competitive past level 10, or get destroyed. I think a reveal deck takes a lot more synergy than other decks, but it's pretty damaging if someone gets on a roll with it.

I figured it was like this for all decks because 600 scrap later I'm climbing the ladder again.

Instead of creating a new thread i figure i would add to the OP.

I am still playing nilfgaard exclusive and have most cards from the faction. Still a good amount i need from neutrals but have some of the decent ones. I recently hit rank 14 a day ago.

Its becoming less enjoyable playing nilfgaard. Not because of the faction itself but getting completely out combo by other factions. I do feel like i am becoming the punching bag.

Ive been getting hammered from NR and SK the most.

More NR players are catching onto the cantarella combo. So they just promote it to gold. Now i just gave them a free gold unit and wasted 2 silver slots with having treason in hand to. The shani combo is incredibly difficult to counter or beat. On top of units being promoted to gold.

With SK and the ability to constantly draw/fish cards out is just depressing and hard to control.

MS,SC and NG are the only ones i can have good even matches.

I cant put my finger on it with NG but i just feel it lacks something. Its hard to sustain the momentum and it just runs out of steam. I am constantly trying different deck builds and possible combos but i dont know...either im not playing them correctly or they are under powered compared to the other factions.

Bl00dGeist;n8026650 said:
Its becoming less enjoyable playing nilfgaard. Not because of the faction itself but getting completely out combo by other factions. I do feel like i am becoming the punching bag.

I assume I am earlier on than you, but I am also playing NG and getting destroyed. No really good combos that aren't incredibly risky or I need perfect draws for.

gigabomb;n8026950 said:
I assume I am earlier on than you, but I am also playing NG and getting destroyed. No really good combos that aren't incredibly risky or I need perfect draws for.

Or the combos take way to many cards to pull off.

I have a couple more combos/ideas for decks i want to try tonight and i will let you know how they turn out.

One card i am having a ton of success with is Tibor. He is practically a round 1 winner. 22 gold unit right off the bat and he usually deters the opponent to pass. He is also a great magnet for d bombs or other special cards. I want to figure out how to utilize him in later rounds.

Sweers has been gaining popularity but ive had very little success with him. I feel most of the time when i try and bury a reaver, medic or nekker the player usually has the others in their hand. Yes it tells me its probably in their hand but sweers isnt going to stop the combo or ability from releasing.

Bl00dGeist;n8028080 said:
Or the combos take way to many cards to pull off.

I have a couple more combos/ideas for decks i want to try tonight and i will let you know how they turn out.

One card i am having a ton of success with is Tibor. He is practically a round 1 winner. 22 gold unit right off the bat and he usually deters the opponent to pass. He is also a great magnet for d bombs or other special cards. I want to figure out how to utilize him in later rounds.

Sweers has been gaining popularity but ive had very little success with him. I feel most of the time when i try and bury a reaver, medic or nekker the player usually has the others in their hand. Yes it tells me its probably in their hand but sweers isnt going to stop the combo or ability from releasing.

The main problem of Niilfgard is that you need a good draw or your dead, other faction can easily get a good hand without a good draw.

Mafio;n8174220 said:
The main problem of Niilfgard is that you need a good draw or your dead, other faction can easily get a good hand without a good draw.

For the most part i agree. Understandably why voorhis is the recommended leader for NG.

Top Bottom