Can't win anymore with NG

+
LordRahl3000;n9039180 said:
This is my first time visiting the forums and I was quite surprised to see that almost everyone believes NG to be inferior. I can assure you IT IS NOT.
Well it depends what you mean with "inferior". It is actually inferior to Skellige or Monsters (also very bad match up Vs Northern Realm but that's my opinion) even if you can win against it. Nevertheless, as a big NG player since closed beta, I don't think NG is completely down like many people say after the nerf. It just requires more planification and more thinking when playing.

Guest 4097530

Reading the comments here - I still would like to agree with the original poster.

I'm playing Nilfgaard since I got the deck in Witcher 3 as I love the cool things you can do with NG - but since the last patch, I find myself losing more games than ever.

As I don't play Gwent for ranks and competition but for relaxing after a day full of work, I think I'll stop and wait what the next patch brings ... Right now it feels more than frustrating work than like the enjoyable game it felt some weeks ago.

i think that playing the NilfGaard knights (10 pts and 2 armor) outside of a Full Reveal deck is not optimal at all, why reveaing cards to your opponent ? it can be bad for you even playing them in full reveal deck sometimes (revealing cards you don't want to reveal at all...).
Also, i see that most people are copy/pasting decks that are supposed to be competitive, why not try to make you deck a bit more versatile/flexible using cards that suits more situations ?. (i like to play scorch in any deck for example). i would also suggest adding 1-2 clear skies vs such a heavy weather metagame. Adding 3 imperial golems is also good (if you can get them)

As was already suggested get rid of the knights;

Nauzicaa cavalry with the standard is a must have for you. Add two of them and remove the clear skies. you can always add a third one but that might turn into a waste against some factions

I suggest you to keep the rot tossers for the sake of annoying the opponent, potentially causing him to lose his lock units or decoy early, then throw the cow at him again, and again. This card is great, and as an addition the cow also boosts the Impera Brigades

Auckes should be in the deck aswell. also consider adding second medic

Add the imperial golems that would be summoned with the leader. keep in mind they might mess up your card drawing. do not use the Emissaries or Joacim before the Emperor arrives to the board

If you decided to keep the rot tossers, add a Nauzicaa brigade. if your cow gets locked you could send another one to the same row, then destroy the locked one with the brigade. that sometimes surprise the opponent, he might panic and waste a viable card to remove the cow. as an addition it works nice with Joacim

Consider adding Cantarella and Ciri obviously for milking the opponent in round 2. If you would like to run Auckes, shackles and a decoy, you can safelly include Fake Ciri aswell

And obviously there is no need to mill a whole faction just because it was nerfed. who knows how the Empire of Nilfgaard will look in a month or two

Making a versatile deck gets you nowhere. You're neither playing with high tempo units nor are you running a complete control deck. So you get screwed an all fronts.

I'm having crap luck with NG lately and with NR buffing taking over, it won't get better. While reveal is fun to play, it loses to a lot of matchups simply because it doesn't create enough tempo. So I have a reveal deck and a Letho spies one and they're just not that good, compared to weather spam monster and skellige. And I only play casual too.

I only play casually too, going Competitiv with such few strategies and viable decks makes me sick and i'll just have to battle 1-2 decks for many games till i get bored. The game is only at beta stage with only a few viable ways to go competitive so i see no fun in getting there at all.
In my opinion the reveal deck is bullshit (especially in competitive where the ennemy is too predictable because he is playing a copy/paste meta deck) and you pratically don't get value from the intel you get when you reveal your opponents cards.

I play reveal with spotters. It's the only reason why. No use gaining info when everyone plays the same decks and you know what cards he has 30 seconds into the match. Letho is nice but is higly situational,s since you need dbomb with it if you want some swings.

Putting it simply, NG takes more setup that Skellige, Monsters or maybe even NR.

I mean, I could just mill it and create the next most powerful deck but it's silly having to do that with each patch. So sticking with NG.

grishhammer;n9040660 said:
Doesn't milling all of the leaders seem kind of extreme? If you are confident your won't use them, then fine. But you must have been pretty desperate for the scraps...

I'm not worried about it. I was bound and determined to use NG because most players believe it to be inferior. I wanted to find a way to defy the odds so I built my Ultimate NG deck to prove that strategy wins the day. This is how I have fun. Using what everyone else does and copying decks from players who think they know what they're doing, isn't my style. I thrive on the ability to defy odds. I practice it with a passion. I plan and perfect everything I do to the best of my abilities. When high level monster, scoia, nr and skelly decks get beat by a supposed inferior faction, I swell with pride and accomplishment. It was well worth it. I don't need to craft any other cards, and I have over 3000 scrap to spare in case I change my mind. ;-)

soapdx;n9041870 said:
My gut always tells me to have minimum 2 if not 3 clear skies. Best have them and use them as reinforcements then not and get owned by weather.
You can take a risk and not use clear sky right away to see if your opponent will put a weather affect on another row and clear 2 rows with 1 card. Risky depending on the number of units on said row and type of weather.

Weather damage is easily avoided with gold cards, especially Letho. A lot of times, you can pass the round after they've emptied their hand of them anyway. A single Nauzicca in the deck can turn things around as well. I always keep a White frost and torrential rain in my deck in case I need to even the odds. Works well when you know what faction you're playing against at the beginning of battle. Torrential rain for monster decks and white frost for all others. Clear skies cards just aren't worth the deck space or space in a limited number of hand cards that may possibly face an opponent that can manage an 80 or above in a single round. Power cards and attacks are key to victory.

they nerfed NG too much, now everybody play NR which i find hard to counter with eredin because of thaler+cavalery combo. Imperial golems were easy to kill :)
tibor was the only card that gave me trouble when it brings a crapy bronze in round 3
make golems spawn before calveit, it will bring back more players for me to execute...

got my ass kicked today by a reveal deck because i misplayed madroeme, such a noob, lool :D

It's so nice when everything alligns itself for a perfect game. Just made a weather spammer ragequit. Made him waste all his weather cards with standard bearers and decoying Vanhemar. I guess Auckes on his harpy eggs send him over the edge. Weather spammer, you shall not be missed.

It's just a shame it takes quite a bit of luck to draw the right cards in reveal decks.

At least that's Monsters and not SK spammer. I have a game where I use 4 weather clears. Already make him use 3 Axemen in round one. A-thunder and lock 2 more in round 3. He can still resurrect two more while he has white frost out and I ran out of weather clear.

Hey man,

Now judging by this deck, you don't have alot of fancy premium cards, which is fine, but even as a budget deck this deck is pretty bad. I could give you some tipps about Nilfgard decks, I have only played NG since I started this game so I know a thing or two about them.

The strongest NG deck ATM is the Reveal Deck, so if you want to keep the knights they will fit perfectly in a reveal deck.

I made a pretty solid deck which can get you up to a 50% winrate unless you play against monsters, which will significantly drop the winrate. But it's pretty solid and works well so far:

http://gwentify.com/decks/rank-11-af...nilfgard-deck/

It would also help to know which Gold, Silver and Bronze cards you have in order to give you more info.

Cheers,

Eydok "aka. The Monsterhater"

Last edited:
Eydok;n9127430 said:
It would also help to know which Gold, Silver and Bronze cards you have in order to give you more info.

"

I lack only of menno now. This post is so old that till now I managed to gather about 75% of all cards (except premiums). I climbed ranks a lot with Queensgards deck. But I'm still interested in NG. I never mill cards except duplicates :)

Personally I don't think NG is in a great spot, but its also not in a terrible spot. There are a few archetypes that are working but they are very hard to pilot. Monsters and Skellige Axeman v Monsters are two fairly easy decks to pilot, so we see a large number of them played with success due to the fact that they are strong and easy to pilot. NR has a strong control and tempo deck, but rarely do people talk about it. Its seen less because its harder to pilot. Dwarves were even played at a high level for a while during the monster surge, but that deck is arguably even harder to pilot than anything I've listed other than NG.

Onto your deck... I don't see why you would ever have knights and imperia brigades. One has reveal synergy and one has spy synergy, so I'm not sure if you're just looking for a 10 str body with some armor, but honestly I wouldn't want to give the opponent any info about what's in my hand when playing a spy deck. I'm also unsure about not running more of your bronze spies alongside more medics...its a staple part of cycling for the spy archetype. Bloodcurdling roar seems questionable to me, and I personally don't favor Letho much in this kind of deck either. You could also add 1-2 nauzica brigades to make Assire useful (unless she's like a QG counter or something?) and Stefan to allow for that interesting little combo. Lastly its almost suicide via card advantage to forego running your "spy" (Cantarella) in any deck these days, but if you prefer Ciri she's not a bad option either. I personally like running golems in most every NG deck also (its a powerful swing and good deck thinning), but I could see not running them if you favor using Calveit later in the round (using him in R2 or 3 for me often causes mulligan problems...)

The deck Eydok posted makes a lot more sense to me. Personally I'd probably think about switching scorch for like Vanhemar, tech in a lacerate (there's monsters everywhere bois), and run golems. Either way the changes I suggested to Eydok's deck are small "techs" and his deck has a stratagem which the non-tech cards fit around and a few different win conditions.

I do agree NG currently is not top tier, but plenty of players are playing at a top tier with it. NG decks typically are hard to build and hard to pilot, so if you want something easy go play Monsters...

I've been experimenting with my Emhyr/Calveit NG deck in casual for the last week or so, i'm waiting until i'm happy before i continue on the ladder.

I call it the " Vattier de Rideaux Assasination squad".

Double Mongonels, Vattier / Alchemist reveal combo = :surprised:

I've been playing Emhyr Spies for a month, after reaching 4k I'm just bouncing back and forth between 3900 and 4100. Sometimes I'm really close to completing the Dagon challenge after I get particularly salty, but well, gotta stay loyal to the Empire... ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

also recently joined ranks with Nilfgaard as f2p, after I hit 3300 mmr with consume and was bored.
I am now running a Calveit spy deck with Cahir, Gigni, Vilgefortz and Skellen as golds (kind of like a budget version of mogwais deck) and was wondering what gold I should craft next. As I can understand the place of Rainfarn in such a deck, I am not really convinced by this card, yet. So I was thinking Ciri: Dash, since I cycle pretty good through my deck and it could be a stepping stone to a future Calveit control deck. Now today I got lucky and opened Letho, which made it only worse to decide, which way to go from now. Does the Letho + DBomb combo justify dropping one of my silver spots? Not sure now.

Have to ad that I really struggled these days vs huge point plays in round 3 like Spotters, Pirate Captains, also the Scoia'tael version and most prominently vs Reaver Hunters, for which I always seem to be too stupid to play against, even if I managed to save Auckes, Peter and Gigni for last round...it just does not work somehow.

Thanks for any help.

Erlembald;n9269761 said:
Hi,

also recently joined ranks with Nilfgaard as f2p, after I hit 3300 mmr with consume and was bored.
I am now running a Calveit spy deck with Cahir, Gigni, Vilgefortz and Skellen as golds (kind of like a budget version of mogwais deck) and was wondering what gold I should craft next. As I can understand the place of Rainfarn in such a deck, I am not really convinced by this card, yet. So I was thinking Ciri: Dash, since I cycle pretty good through my deck and it could be a stepping stone to a future Calveit control deck. Now today I got lucky and opened Letho, which made it only worse to decide, which way to go from now. Does the Letho + DBomb combo justify dropping one of my silver spots? Not sure now.

Have to ad that I really struggled these days vs huge point plays in round 3 like Spotters, Pirate Captains, also the Scoia'tael version and most prominently vs Reaver Hunters, for which I always seem to be too stupid to play against, even if I managed to save Auckes, Peter and Gigni for last round...it just does not work somehow.

Thanks for any help.

Depending on how many Spy cards you use, Menno C. might be worth considering. However if you draw him a late and/or with no spy cards left, he can suck.

Letho + D-Bomb is fine - question is what you want to replace. If you want to replace Gigni, it might be worth considering this combo. Sometimes it's better, sometimes a bit worse but it gives you more options.

As for Spotters and similar cards: I like using Regis Higher Vampire against these cards, although it's not that popular these days.

If however you tend to thin your deck a lot and risk running out of cards, there's nothing wrong with Ciri Dash.

Last edited:
IDK NG is a weird faction because based on the cards the faction has it should perform better then it does. NG literately have some of the strongest faction based silver cards in the game as well as some amazing (and completely pointless gold cards). A great NG deck needs to be focused around their silver cards because they definitely lack in the bronze department ATM. The faction is also somewhat easily countered by every other factions. Someone just needs to come up with a new idea for a NG deck and they will make a come back. The milling NG strategy was a good attempt at a new idea, but it's way to unreliable to be a true competitive deck.

Top Bottom