New Overlooked Nilfgaard archetype?

+
New Overlooked Nilfgaard archetype?

The new update has shifted the meta and introduced/pushed a lot of decks that were not viable into viability. So far in Nilfgaard the main viable archetypes are Reveal, Spies, Mill, and Soilders(Meh). However I decided to try out some forgotten cards that people assume are bad, such as Magne Division and The Guardian, and came up with something pretty interesting. That with the Guardian you can control what your Magne Division copies because the Deathwish add Bronze 6 str Lesser Guardians at the top of the deck.

In other words you can abuse the Guardians deathrattle with Letho or Dorregray, + Magne Division to create copies of lesser guardians into your opponents hand Bricking them while drawing yourself cards! It essentially serves the same function as millfgard except through bricking instead of drawing your opponent into a brick scenario.

I posted a Guide on the deck in case you are wondering what my full list is.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/30529-n...aard-archetype

I just discovered this archetype about a day ago so my list probably isn't optimal but it's been performing really well, and is really difficult/fun to pilot!

Last edited:

partci

Forum veteran
Isn't the problem with this scenario, that The Guardian should be destroyed in order to trigger it's ability?

I am trying a hard Control deck that I myself built now and actually got chuckles, when my first game I went against pretty much exactly the same deck as mine. It was bizarre.

partci;n9477201 said:
Isn't the problem with this scenario, that The Guardian should be destroyed in order to trigger it's ability?

I am trying a hard Control deck that I myself built now and actually got chuckles, when my first game I went against pretty much exactly the same deck as mine. It was bizarre.

I explain in the guide that Letho Of Gulet and Dorregray's Ekimmara are used to trigger The Guardian :)
Ill mention it in the thread.

ArianeGrosmont;n9477271 said:
Wouldn't really call it an 'archetype', but yeah- could be extremely oppressive.

Well it relies on a specific function, so I didn't really know what else to call it lol, and yeah its pretty insane once you get a hang of how it works. I dont think it's Top Tier or anything yet but it has a lot of potential.

TheZirrKing;n9477101 said:
The new update has shifted the meta and introduced/pushed a lot of decks that were not viable into viability. So far in Nilfgaard the main viable archetypes are Reveal, Spies, Mill, and Soilders(Meh). However I decided to try out some forgotten cards that people assume are bad, such as Magne Division and The Guardian, and came up with something pretty interesting. That with the Guardian you can control what your Magne Division copies because the Deathwish add Bronze 6 str Lesser Guardians at the top of the deck.

In other words you can abuse the Guardians deathrattle with Letho or Dorregray, + Magne Division to create copies of lesser guardians into your opponents hand Bricking them while drawing yourself cards! It essentially serves the same function as millfgard except through bricking instead of drawing your opponent into a brick scenario.

I just discovered this archetype about a day ago so my list probably isn't optimal but it's been performing really well, and is really difficult/fun to pilot!

gif image hosting

I tried this when the patch first hit.
It doesn't work all that well, because it relies on a single card. You get The Guardian? Okay, you might have a shot. You get your Ekimara? Now you're talking. But you really need both + the activating units to draw. Oh, and if your Guardian gets locked, you're hosed. Unless again, you draw Aukes or something. You also get hosed if they have ANY card that shuffles their library. And there's a lot of those.

Otherwise, you can't compete with the massive units or unit kill that other decks are throwing out.

The other issue is that although you can make your opponents draw the 6 power elemental, you have to draw something over 6 to compete with it. 6 isn't a very high bar, but it's not like you're giving them 2's...

arubino99;n9477401 said:
I tried this when the patch first hit.
It doesn't work all that well, because it relies on a single card. You get The Guardian? Okay, you might have a shot. You get your Ekimara? Now you're talking. But you really need both + the activating units to draw. Oh, and if your Guardian gets locked, you're hosed. Unless again, you draw Aukes or something. You also get hosed if they have ANY card that shuffles their library. And there's a lot of those.

Otherwise, you can't compete with the massive units or unit kill that other decks are throwing out.

The other issue is that although you can make your opponents draw the 6 power elemental, you have to draw something over 6 to compete with it. 6 isn't a very high bar, but it's not like you're giving them 2's...

Throughout my entire time playing the deck, the Guardian has never been locked. People dont anticipate you acttiviating it and they are usually greedy and rather not waste a lock on a low impact card.

Also if you look at the decklist, I added Stefan to Pull The Guardian or Alzures Double Cross. So I've never been in a situation where I didnt have The Guardian available. However their have been a couple occasion where I dont get Dorregray or Letho in my starting hand and have to fish for it a little with Alchemist/John Calveit.

Yeah drawing them 6 str is ok because every one of your draws is over 6 str.

Last edited:
well, you play 7 power bronzes compared to opponent random card in their hand - 7 power bronze + drawn card against 6 power golem + opponent random card in hand

and i wouldn't call this deck archetype, but soldiers version with magna/golem package

what MMR you reached with this deck?

Ramcius;n9477721 said:
well, you play 7 power bronzes compared to opponent random card in their hand - 7 power bronze + drawn card against 6 power golem + opponent random card in hand

and i wouldn't call this deck archetype, but soldiers version with magna/golem package

what MMR you reached with this deck?

What MMR are you? Your opponent gets only a 6 str Guardian and you Draw a card, your opponent doesn't get a "Random Card", you dont even know what you are talking about.

Their is no "Golem" Package what the hell are you talking about? Only 2 of the bronzes aren't soilders the entire deck is almost all soilders outside of the Guardian combo.

Well, don't forget the Alba Spearmen and the Standard Bearers. And while you are drawing cards with abilities, your opponent drags on a flat and dry 6 STR.

partci;n9477851 said:
Well, don't forget the Alba Spearmen and the Standard Bearers. And while you are drawing cards with abilities, your opponent drags on a flat and dry 6 STR.

This exactly, you literally draw a card and give your opponent a six strength bronze, thats it. Everything else is Soilders :)

TheZirrKing;n9477831 said:
What MMR are you? Your opponent gets only a 6 str Guardian and you Draw a card, your opponent doesn't get a "Random Card", you dont even know what you are talking about.

Their is no "Golem" Package what the hell are you talking about? Only 2 of the bronzes aren't soilders the entire deck is almost all soilders outside of the Guardian combo.

ok, i will make example, you start game with Magna and 9 random cards, your opponent start with 10 random cards, so essentially your Magna = random card in your opponent hand, other scenario Avalach - you get Magna, while opponent gets random card, same goes for drawing cards after round 1 and 2. Golem is good on it's own, because he changes random card(s) that opponent would draw from top of his/her deck with 6 power bronze golem(s), but Magna is just 1 power play for you, if your opponent's top card is golem

another example, you both have let's say 3 cards left, 1 of them is Magna in your hand, you play it and get 7 power on board and get random card while opponent gets golem, so after this play you both have 3 random cards in your hands, you have 7 power on board and your opponent have 6 power bronze in hand on top of that, so you win 1 point opposed to scenario if you both had 3 random cards to begin with as it would be 3 random in each hand, if you opponent would play golem

also, currently i'm at 3.2k MMR, what MMR you got with this deck, because i'm interested in how good can be soldiers deck as i getting bored of spies and reveal, not because i tried offend you

TheZirrKing

Magne Division isn't bad, it's just only useful in specific cases, like with the mill archetype where it can blow your opponent away once (s)he runs out of bronze cards. Also the Guardian combo is pretty lackluster. A better combo would be with Alba Armored Cavalry to check the top 3 cards of the opponent. Sometimes you can safely play Magne Division in round 1, when you need more cards. Incidentally, Alba Armored Cavalry also gives some great insight into your opponent's deck and shows which cards they will be drawing with Avallac'h and such.

Your hybrid deck, in its current state, seems like a jack of all trades unable to compete on any level.

Ramcius;n9478111 said:
ok, i will make example, you start game with Magna and 9 random cards, your opponent start with 10 random cards, so essentially your Magna = random card in your opponent hand, other scenario Avalach - you get Magna, while opponent gets random card, same goes for drawing cards after round 1 and 2. Golem is good on it's own, because he changes random card(s) that opponent would draw from top of his/her deck with 6 power bronze golem(s), but Magna is just 1 power play for you, if your opponent's top card is golem

another example, you both have let's say 3 cards left, 1 of them is Magna in your hand, you play it and get 7 power on board and get random card while opponent gets golem, so after this play you both have 3 random cards in your hands, you have 7 power on board and your opponent have 6 power bronze in hand on top of that, so you win 1 point opposed to scenario if you both had 3 random cards to begin with as it would be 3 random in each hand, if you opponent would play golem

also, currently i'm at 3.2k MMR, what MMR you got with this deck, because i'm interested in how good can be soldiers deck as i getting bored of spies and reveal, not because i tried offend you

SMH, Im 3.7k mmr atm. If you Magne and the opponent gets a 6 str it isnt a 1 point play, you have to consider that you draw a card. How hard is it to understand??

Magne draws you a card too and in every scenario your draw is going to be better than the 6 str bronze your opponent gets, that's the point.

Last edited:
4RM3D;n9478291 said:
TheZirrKing

Magne Division isn't bad, it's just only useful in specific cases, like with the mill archetype where it can blow your opponent away once (s)he runs out of bronze cards. Also the Guardian combo is pretty lackluster. A better combo would be with Alba Armored Cavalry to check the top 3 cards of the opponent. Sometimes you can safely play Magne Division in round 1, when you need more cards. Incidentally, Alba Armored Cavalry also gives some great insight into your opponent's deck and shows which cards they will be drawing with Avallac'h and such.

Your hybrid deck, in its current state, seems like a jack of all trades unable to compete on any level.

Yeah the deck can't compete on any level, I've had absolutely zero success what so ever. That's exactly why I'm sharing it! Makes sense to me.

TheZirrKing;n9478401 said:
SMH, Im 3.8k mmr atm. If you Magne and the opponent gets a 6 str it isnt a 1 point play, you have to consider that you draw a card. How hard is it to understand??

Magne draws you a card too and in every scenario your draw is going to be better than the 6 str bronze your opponent gets, that's the point.

but your opponent already have card in their hand for your Magne which can be anything from their deck

Example: your opponent have 10 random cards and you have 9 random cards + Magne, you play Magne, you have have 10 random cards now, your opponent play golem, your turn and both have 10 random cards, right? Cause your opponent haven't used any of his starting 10 cards, but 11th one that you gave him, so in comparison to normal start with both players having 10 random cards this play gives you 1 power advantage over your opponent. You can change numbers with any you like, math stays same, you replace Magne in your hand for top card in your deck and earn 1 power advantage in process, so naturally question, does it worth it? In mulligan deck Magne is draw a card, when opponent have no bronzes left, as it gives you 7 points and 1 CA over your opponent - your opponent don't get golem, so s/he have to use their own cards on their turn

Magne -> Lesser Golem is a 1 point play really. Tried the deck, really hilarious when it happens.

So, let's say both players have 1 card each, you play first. You just play a Magne, giving him a 6 golem, and you draw an actual card. So, it's 2 cards vs 2 cards, you have a 7 magne on board + an actual card in hand, and your opponent has 1 actual card + a 6 golem both in hand. To ease out calculations it would be comparing your 7 and their 6. If any actual card is X, you can compare X+7 with X+6, both X won't matter because all actual cards should be on the same level by the game basis. Of course there's rarity difference, but let's just say that they're cards randomly drawn in the same way from decks that worth pretty much the same. Aside from that 1 point, the difference is that Magne thins your deck, prolong the round, and actually increases your opponent's deck value (not hand value, this is different). That deck value would matter in mill decks, but won't really matter otherwise.

If you have gold weathers, you might want to try them, since Magne prolongs the round which increases how long the weather would do damage. I don't have them so I can't try them.

For other "overlooked" archetype, I tried Stammelgaard. Much lol for this deck, too much really. Of course this one is not good at all.

Last edited:
TheZirrKing;n9478451 said:
Yeah the deck can't compete on any level, I've had absolutely zero success what so ever. That's exactly why I'm sharing it! Makes sense to me.

Here's a simplified version of what Ramcius says

imagine a scenario in round 3 where you got 1 card ( Magne Division ) and your opponent has 1 card.

You play Magne Division ( 7 str ) and the opponent play the golem ( 6 Str ) so your Magne Division Str value is just 1

and now you compare the random card you draw and your opponent random card in hand.

TheZirrKing;n9477101 said:

The Magne / Golem combo is especially good when you have Lambert in tow as well as you can do damage to all of those copies, don't forget also with summoning circle you have a chance to summon another guardian after the first.

Top Bottom