Emhyr Spies might actually be better than Calveit Spies (with Decklist+Guide)

+
Emhyr Spies might actually be better than Calveit Spies (with Decklist+Guide)

(Decklist+Guide)

I've played this deck a lot on ladder. And I think it's better than Calveit's version. I even win most games vs Calveit in the ladder.

Other than that, what I've noted about the difference of this deck and Calveit's is that this deck has better flexibility, and won't get much top-decking issues which Calveit can have. Also, I've stated in the guide that this deck can possibly use mulligan to its best effect since there's little to no risk of using up all chances to mulligan.

If you want to see more, please check the link. I don't want to rewrite the guide here, so please read it there instead.

I was experimenting with something familiar few days back, but ended up playing more with Control Calveit of sorts, that I built myself (first game on the ladder and I met almost the same deck as mine, funny how this game works :'D ). Used Fringilla with Emhyr, though, cause of the possibility do bounce her twice for a smiting effect.

Funny how everybody think that Emhyr can be played just for the milling part.

Well, before the patch the stronger spy decks often had Emhyr instead of Calveit, so I'm not surprised if E. is still good for that job :)

devivre;n9510221 said:
Well, before the patch the stronger spy decks often had Emhyr instead of Calveit, so I'm not surprised if E. is still good for that job :)

I didn't know this. Thanks for the info.

I haven't used Calveit for my spy decks since Closed Beta actually. I just like Emhyr much more. I might start using Calveit again since he can pull Golds now.

I don't like Emhyr for my spy deck. Mainly because I play a draw based spy Calveit deck. I use Canterella and other cards to influence my next draws with Emissary and Calveit and Cahir. So I always have things to my advantage. Emhyr doesn't allow me to look into my deck as well. While I like the switching a card back to hand, I'd like a card that actually went ahead and did that as maybe a spy. Like some kind of Decoy Spy that puts an enemies card back in hand i.e. your hand.

I don't like Emhyr for my spy deck. Mainly because I play a draw based spy Calveit deck. I use Canterella and other cards to influence my next draws with Emissary and Calveit and Cahir. So I always have things to my advantage. Emhyr doesn't allow me to look into my deck as well. While I like the switching a card back to hand, I'd like a card that actually went ahead and did that as maybe a spy. Like some kind of Decoy Spy that puts an enemies card back in hand i.e. your hand.

While with Calveit you will almost certainly play more cards, with Emhyr, you are far more flexible. Like the guide says, if you emphasize on taking back enemy silver spies, you can do a lot of damage. It's also helpful with enemy units that can lock you, or Radovid, who is quite popular. For example most Calveit decks run Iris, I've stolen it and used it against them twice in a row in Ranked matches, taking it out at the same turn with Impera Enforcers. Now granted, most people won't play Iris without killing it immediately, but still, this is just one of the countless things you can do with it.

In sort, Calveit wins in how many cards you play and info, but Emhyr's ability is far more powerful out in the battlefield by being able to turn enemy tactics against them and liberate locked units. Calveit is the better option only in theory. For example, with replaying Ceallach you can spawn Ambassadors which you normally won't have in a spy deck due to the superior Emissary and Assassin. However you can boost your gold units that way and survive Merigold's Hailstorm potentially :)

I run Emhyr Spy deck as well and the final form of it is very heavily based on overcold_ice's as I looked into it for ideas. The differences being that I use an Ambassador due to the nasty Merigold's Hailstorm and Fringila Vigo, with the plan to boost gold units and transfer their strength into other adjacent ones. Sweers too to disrupt a few strategies. So, thanks a lot for the deck and the guide :) I pretty much agree word to word.

Top Bottom