Cursed Northern Realms

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
I've been finding a resurgence of cursed decks, particularly of revenant swarm, using either Adda or Foltest, and usually Ragnraroog on R3, plus pretty much any spells they can. Probably isnt a problem to decks who have 3-4 ways to deal those measly 5pts to destroy the revenants put on board before they can really swarm the board.

Man, NR really needs a 5th cursed bronze unit (and silvers... and golds...)

DRK3;n10640301 said:
I've been finding a resurgence of cursed decks, particularly of revenant swarm, using either Adda or Foltest, and usually Ragnraroog on R3, plus pretty much any spells they can. Probably isnt a problem to decks who have 3-4 ways to deal those measly 5pts to destroy the revenants put on board before they can really swarm the board.

Man, NR really needs a 5th cursed bronze unit (and silvers... and golds...)

Cursed NR is the beginning of a really good archetype, just like Moonlight and Blood Moon, but CDPR haven't made it work yet. I really, really hope that's the plan for their next major card pool update.

I'd say Moonlight got a powerful tool in the form of Triss: Telekinesis which can be good for Cursed too. But yeah, they need to get some more cards, and some more synergy, most importantly, silver and gold synergy :)

You get no synergy for playing a lot of cursed units, nothing gets boosted, strengthened or otherwise more powerful with the amount of cursed units you have on the board. Even Adda is bad for the cursed leader, you are probably better off using one of the rest.

Bloody Flail would be good if it had a good impact, some sort of synergy.

Think about Alchemy, since these decks have similarities. Why is that so good? because Ointment is an alchemy card, it synergizes with everything, and can be used on EVERY unit they have. Because Mahakam ale is also an alchemy card and it's so easy to set that up. That is kinda what this deck needs I feel. Something similar.

Last edited:
Have anyone tried cursed Henselt deck? He can summon revenants as they are kaedweni - seems a strong engine for the last round
Just need to make sure you survive the first two without a massive card disadvantage

DRK3

Forum veteran
I have been using a Cursed deck that has been performing really well, and escapes the norm for the NR Cursed decks.

It doesnt rely on Revenants, as those are hit or miss - if your opponent cant remove those revenants, you ll end up with a full board of revenants after spamming tons of spells, but if he can remove those 4 revenants (including the one revived by Sabrina's Specter), you're almost guaranteed to lose as the spells alone wont generate enough points.

My deck only uses 4 bronze units: 3x Tormented Mages, 3x Cursed Knights and 3x Kaedweni Knights, plus 2x Reaver Scouts. It's relatively simple and most bronze plays provide 12-16 pts, and usually a lot of armor. The opponents wont bother destroying the 2pt Tormented Mages that can be transformed to Cursed Knights.

For leader i use Adda, and i cross my fingers to get Olgierd, also having Olgierd on the deck list as well - if you play double Olgierd R1, then R3 you'll have two great targets (2pt) for Cursed Knights. Vincent is also a good choice when i have tons of armor from Knights and thunderbolt potions used by Tormented Mages.

For golds, i use Kiyan - underrated Gold - Seltkirk and Vesemir (to tutor Runestone or Mandrake), plus Renew as any of those 3 golds can be used a 2nd time.

DRK3;n10854681 said:
I have been using a Cursed deck that has been performing really well, and escapes the norm for the NR Cursed decks.

It doesnt rely on Revenants, as those are hit or miss - if your opponent cant remove those revenants, you ll end up with a full board of revenants after spamming tons of spells, but if he can remove those 4 revenants (including the one revived by Sabrina's Specter), you're almost guaranteed to lose as the spells alone wont generate enough points.

My deck only uses 4 bronze units: 3x Tormented Mages, 3x Cursed Knights and 3x Kaedweni Knights, plus 2x Reaver Scouts. It's relatively simple and most bronze plays provide 12-16 pts, and usually a lot of armor. The opponents wont bother destroying the 2pt Tormented Mages that can be transformed to Cursed Knights.

For leader i use Adda, and i cross my fingers to get Olgierd, also having Olgierd on the deck list as well - if you play double Olgierd R1, then R3 you'll have two great targets (2pt) for Cursed Knights. Vincent is also a good choice when i have tons of armor from Knights and thunderbolt potions used by Tormented Mages.

For golds, i use Kiyan - underrated Gold - Seltkirk and Vesemir (to tutor Runestone or Mandrake), plus Renew as any of those 3 golds can be used a 2nd time.

How do you put first Kaedweni Knight into play? Do you use reconnaissance?

DRK3

Forum veteran
WildFeo;n10855101 said:
How do you put first Kaedweni Knight into play? Do you use reconnaissance?

Yeah, i try to avoid putting them from hand, so they get to 13 instead of 8. I have 2x reconnaissances, and Stennis to hopefully get them, since i dont have that many bronze units anyway. Then use Reave Scouts to bring more. I avoid putting all 3 on one round because of scorches.

I've had some marginal success with this list:

Dijkstra
Bloody Baron
Ciri: Nova
Seltkirk of Gulet

Sabrina's Specter
Last Wish
Scorch
Prince Stennis
Thaler
Dethmold

2x Kaedweni Knight
2x Cursed Knight
2x Damned Sorceress
2x Kaedweni Revenant
2x Tormented Mage
2x Bloody Flail
2x Alzur's Thunder
2x Reconnaissance

I know Damned Sorceresses suck but they empower the Baron, allowing you to consistently get him to 18 points of strength at least. Plus, they are great for removing Half Elf Hunters and other bronzes that Elven Swap decks use. I've stalled the arrival of Aelirenn for a whole round this way, until my opponent passed. Revenants are not the focus of this list, if you get them good, if not, it's ok, you just need to focus on destroying enemy targets. Dijkstra takes a bit of managing because you don't want him to pull Scorch at the wrong time and kill your units too, sometimes it's better to play him earlier. Cursed Knights should not be dropped too late, because they won't have a target, it's better to summon them alongside tormented mages to get the full value. Obviously you mulligan away Kaedweni Knights and stuff, but other than that, it's pretty straightforward

Cursed Cards

I am just setting out to make an Adda themed deck, and of course making a deck themed to be cursed isn't going to be the best min maxed, but seriously all the bronze curse cards are just too weak to justify their abilities.

NerdExtrodinare;n10864061 said:
I am just setting out to make an Adda themed deck, and of course making a deck themed to be cursed isn't going to be the best min maxed, but seriously all the bronze curse cards are just too weak to justify their abilities.

Moved your thread because we already have one for the cursed archetype

I actually use two cursed-heavy deck as main decks with about 50/50 win rate against most opponents. The only problem is this deck is quite reliant on luck and how well you can guess what type of deck the opponent is using.

One of them is as follow:
Leader: Foltest

Bloody Baron
Eskel: Pathfinder
Keira Metz
Ciri: Nova

Hubert Rejk
Vaedermakar
Dethmold
Sabrina's Specter
Decoy
Vandergrift's blade

2x Cursed Knight
2x Kaedweni Revenant
2x Damned Sorceress
2x Tormented Mage
2x Bloody Flail
2x Alzur's Thunder
2x Shackles

The above version with the Damned Sorceress is more removal-focused, whereas the other version I use (without Damned Sorceress) is more Revenants focused.
The other variation is similar, except I took out Nova and Damned Sorceress; added one more Revenant and one more Tormented Mage; and exchanged some Gold and Silvers.
Another interesting variation is replace the cursed cards with machines and crews. This I haven't yet experiment enough with, so I'm not certain how well it'd work. But the logic is similar: remove their vital cards while boosting your Bloody Baron. The reason I haven't experiment with a machine deck is because in order to gain enough removal power with machines, it required more setups then a cursed deck. For the cursed deck, just throw out a Tormented Mage, and you will often reliably get Alzur's Thunder or Shackle. But for a machine deck, you need at least one crew to make any machine useful.

Main strategies
This type of decks has two main strategies and hopefully your draw will allow for both strategies, so that if one is stopped, the other one can still work.
One is the obvious Revenant swarm. Get your Revenants out and them let them multiply.
The other is the Hubert Rejk + Foltest combo combined with Bloody Baron. With the addition of Nova, this means you potentially have 3 cards that can reliably add 14+ power to the board. The interesting thing about this deck is that if you only draw Hubert Rejk with Bloody Baron still in the deck, you can still utilize the boosts Bloody Baron gained and potentially boost Huber Rejk to 20+.

You'd obviously want to win the first round. But I'd often save Foltest for second round, just in case I lose the first (since opponents often skip second round and Foltest is not really the engine of any setup with the exception of Hubert Rejk. But the benefits of Foltest is not lost from round to round). Of course, Revenant swarm and Foltest work well together. But the question is, do you really need that much boost when already have a Revenant army on board? This is also why Butterfly should not be in this deck, because Butterfly works best when you are already winning, but if you are winning, you don't really need Butterfly.
The other strategy I'm currently experimenting with is to use Hubert Rejk + Foltest combo early in round one (instead of end game). This is because Hubert Rejk + Foltest combo works best with more units in deck. Furthermore, opponents often pass if you pull out a high power card early in round one. This opens up more options in round 2 and 3. I can choose to pass round 2, or if I have the right cards, try to win round 2 or use up all cards except Bloody Baron and Nova in round 2, then throw them out at round 3 (which can result in 40+ power).

The advantage of this setup is that Bloody Baron and Revenants both benefits from the spell and item cards used. Furthermore, the spell and item cards can also be used to stop several powerful decks by quickly take out every threat using Alzur's Thunder. For some match ups, this often turns into a game of endurance. Will I run out of removal cards first, or will they run out of revives or Deathwish cards first.
Additionally, I often like to start with Revenants nomatter what the coin flips. This way I can quickly know if the opponent has the ability to stop my Revenants. Furthermore, the Revenants can be used to bait their removal options. Often trading powerful removals such as Viper Witcher (10+ removal), with the power of one Revenants (4 power). This means they have less options to stop Bloody Baron, Hubert Rejk and Nova.

The most important cards in this deck are Bloody Baron, Hubert Rejk, Revenants, Sabrina's Specter, and enough spell and item cards.

Goods cards to consider putting in are cards like Tormented Mage, and any cards that can create or pull spell and item cards (such as Dethmold or Kyian or Aguara: True Form). These cards can be swapped depending on your own preferences. A note about Kyian, if used to create an alchemy card, take care that some alchemy cards are not spell or item and therefore, cannot trigger Revenant ability. Keira Metz's Arachas Venom is also not a spell or item, but it is good for destroying multiple cards at the same time. Biting Frost and Torrential Rain are also good for destroying multiple weak cards, if you deploy them early enough and they are not cleared. All three cards are good for boosting Bloody Baron.

Cards worth mentioning are Eskel: Pathfinder and Vandergrift's blade. Pathfinder is very useful in removing the "auto-strengthen" cards (yes, I am talking about Greatsword), since Pathfinder can remove any non-boosted bronze and silver cards, which includes any cards that are Strengthened but not Boosted (such as Greatsword). Vandergrift's blade can banish any card with less than 9 powers or destroy any cursed units. The banish ability is extremely useful against Deathwish Monster deck, since banish does not sent Cards to the graveyard, meaning Deathwish cannot be triggered. Furthermore, banished cards cannot be revived, and most of the time, the opponents don't know this. I've tricked a lot of people to waste Renew or other revive cards, only to find out that their Imlerith: Sabbath or Greatsword is nowhere to be found. The only slight draw back is banish doesn't trigger Bloody Baron's ability. But I'm welling to live with that. When I have the right cards against Greatswords, I'd often deliberately get into the "remove -> revive" cycle, just to suddenly throw in Vandergrift's blade, so they will try to revive Greatsword on reflex, and find out their target is not in the graveyard. Sometimes I can get them to use most of their revival cards, and gain quite a few powers for Bloody Baron at the same time.

Anyways, this is my two-cents on cursed decks (sorry for the wall of text). It's fun to play with, but it requires a lot of fine tuning, experience and luck if you want to use it as a competitive deck.
If anyone has any good suggestions regarding my deck, please don't hold back. I'd really appreciate some feedback.

I dont think Foltest is proper, i like Radovid more but locks are terible useless against braindead alchemy.
I made a hybrid deck because damned soceress suk...

Top Bottom