SK queensguard matchup

+
SK queensguard matchup

So, I've been playing a lot with a radovid control list. While I feel the deck is pretty strong and does really well against most of the meta, I also feel like it's an almost auto lose whenever I encounter a QG list.

Anyone have any tech that can make this matchup even remotely even? Or everyone else feel the same way?

Thanks in advance! o/

Foltest swarm user here.

Never had any problem against QG decks. Heck i always win against them since their tempo is very slow and it allows me to develop my men with K Sergeant pretty easily and win round 1 with just K sergeant and BSC. And most of the time I would win in round by just simply rushing them down with the Witcher trio + Infantrymen and Light cavalry.

But well yeah NR has no tech card that can be used against QG and there's no reliable neutral card that can be used against it too except Necromancy which is very clunky to use and would be useless against any other deck.

Necromancy seems your best bet, good qg player stagger their strength so villen or scorch or both won't get rid of them easy. Also, don't play 3 rounds with them, try to 2-0 them and not kill the qg. Yen could be useful as it means they have 4-5 units in one go.

Humm yeah, playing a swarm deck I can see how you'll outrun them.

The issue I'm having is trying to beat them with a control build. My list is very similar to this one:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/25947-4...adventage-card

With a few different specials (no mardroeme, no stammelford's tremors, one more thunder and one more arachas venom), and also still playing dethmold instead of myrgtabrake.

Any help with this MU would be really much appreciated xD

Last edited:
KingPegasus humm yeah, but necromancy just seems so finicky =/ trying to always go for the 2-0 might indeed be a good idea, as it should make them have a couple too much rez units that won't be of much use.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

I would consider replacing ciri(This deck can't utilize her anyway) with maybe Philipa it is amazing card vs any SK and can help push that crucial R1 so you can bleed some more in R2. She seems to have more synergy with your deck because killing stuff just feeds baron more. Also you might try to play around skellige strom(instead of Sile) since you already run lots of frost when it gets clear you can use storm to just destroy melee row. It might be smart to return that mardroeme to shut down captain. Then you have 3 cards to kill all 3.

These are some things I would consider trying at least.

lomvicmarko;n9189501 said:
I would consider replacing ciri(This deck can't utilize her anyway) with maybe Philipa it is amazing card vs any SK and can help push that crucial R1 so you can bleed some more in R2. She seems to have more synergy with your deck because killing stuff just feeds baron more. Also you might try to play around skellige strom(instead of Sile) since you already run lots of frost when it gets clear you can use storm to just destroy melee row. It might be smart to return that mardroeme to shut down captain. Then you have 3 cards to kill all 3.

These are some things I would consider trying at least.

Humm well, I'd been playing phillipa for a while and I kinda found her a bit underwhelming. Hitting valuable targets with her to actually kill them seems situational and a bit unreliable, and using her to try and kill multiples seems like a big waste in terms of power swing (feels like she'll usually go for around 10-12 value, instead of the whole 16). I also tried g:igni, but he seemed even more unreliable, as with all the removal in this deck, actually having a target for g:igni seemed to be hard. I'm using Yen now, as she's just a bigger, much more reliable power swing, even if she doesn't usually net kills to power up the baron.

As for the reason behind Ciri, I really feel that this deck's last turn is only really strong as long as you have CA. Otherwise you have a pretty good first turn, bad second turn and what could be a very good third turn, may easily become a half-decent third turn because you're behind even one card. Ciri gives us a very good T2 drop for the CA on T3, and with baron+sarah it's highly likely we'll get to use her.

SK storm I hadn't even considered it, and it may indeed be a good tech to wipe out the melee row. I'll give it a try, and thanks a lot for the input, m8!

You don't need to get full value out of her that is the beauty of the card. She will give you more control and better tempo then ciri. Instead of using sub optimal alzurs(and you can use one less) you can use her to wipe 3 units like 2x raider and pirate and even if you don't kill everything frost will have easier time cleaning up. I feel like spy gives you enough CA and you could really use more control. Even if you win R1 and then play ciri first he can play something like draig or svanrige then you play spy and he resurrect QG he won't need that many resurrects going into R3 anyway.

Your wincon is killing of captains so if you enter R3 with villen,scorch,mardroeme and baron you win there is nothing he can do. I didn't play deck like yours so might
be talking out of my ass here. But I think that getting that much CA is not key to your victory its getting right cards to finish it off.

Don't forget to tell me how SK storm works.

Oh, of course, Phillipa will definitely represent much better tempo and control than ciri, that wasn't ever a question. The thing is that this deck already runs so much control and disruption that you risk having too much in your hand, and then phillipa just becomes a very sub-par gold. Not to mention that she's obviously a very dead T3 drop, but that's usually something you can work around.

The CA thing I mention, T3 will easily be lost to high power units if you're behind on cards. In order to maximize your vilentrentenmerth and your scorch you need to have the last say, and if you don't have ciri in hand, then it becomes an almost 100% bad play if you go down 2cards in T1 because you'll pretty much ruin your T3. But this deck really needs to win T1 in order to properly bleed T2, so having ciri in hand allows you to go that extra mile (and preferably ciri and thaller so that you regain CA or maintain it even if your opp also plays a spy).

I know it may sound weird, but it is my experience from having played quite a lot with this build already.

I'm also considering replacing the frosts with rains, to see how well it works out (or doesn't xD).

I'll definitely try SK storm out, as well as mardroeme and I'll let you know how it goes ;)

If you really want to abuse CA you might as well replace that Myrgtabrakke and replace it with Ocvist to really maximize the amount of CA that you can get.
And even tho that you use Myrgtabrakke to activate Redanian Knights the effect is too underwhelming for it to be an impactful card.

Btw don't replace frost with rain m8. Rain is a situational weather and you are going to better off using frost since you can buff your Bloody baron more easily with frost rather than rain.

Yeah but ocvist won't ever activate in this deck, I'd say (or 90% of the time he won't). In a deck where I have almost no targets for the opponent's disruption, putting him on the table is just giving them a good target to thunder or lock, etc. He's far too vulnerable. I like him a lot, but I only use him in builds where I have lots of utility units that are prime targets for disruption, so he either won't be targeted because they've already used up their disruption, or if he actually is, he'll be saving another valuable unit from being targeted.

Also, I'm actually using dethmold instead of myrgtabrake, although I have been considering that I should probably go with myrgtabrake because of his ability to line up the opponent for scorch effects.

Rain is just something I wanna try out to see how it handles overall in the meta. But most likely I'll stick to frost as it's much more consistent.

Well, a quick update on this, I've been trying out this list:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/27309-radovid-rain

With the changes discussed above and I've been finding it works pretty nice. Granted, I haven't tested thoroughly as I haven't had as much time to play as I'd want, but it has been fairing with a positive win rate for me slightly above 4K MMR.

lomvicmarko SK storm has been a good addition so far. It's pretty devastating when it sticks around, and it usually does as whatever few weather clears the opponent may be running he's probably already spent them on the rains.

Rain has been good, probably better than frost in the current meta overall. Being able to clear both harpy eggs at once is very significant, and hitting multiples will often be a thing, usually netting same or more value than frost.

Myrgtabrake took dethmold's place, he's just better even if less versatile.

Ciri has been really good. Either as an aggressive play T1, to entice a pass when it might not go your way if it went longer, giving you the edge, of as the CA this deck really wants.

Top Bottom