Opinion about Blue Stripes Commando trio ability

+
Opinion about Blue Stripes Commando trio ability

So yeah as title says.
Do any of you guys ever tried to activate BSC trio ability?

I have never ever tried to activate its trio ability since most of the time when I activate it by mistake i think "Shit i added a 3 str trash card in my deck"

And since most player who use BSC would use Kaeldwani Sergeant in their deck the added card can't even activate since all of your card are 3 str above. Maybe if the added card is the same strength as the last BSC played it would be good? But it's still pretty underwhelming considering that you risk a huge Igni on your board. Or maybe add 2 BSC on the bottom of your deck with same str could be considered good?

I always activate it and I will try to explain why but needs a few cards:

1. I activate it with Henselt on first turn in the first row but don't forget to use VES to protect against GIGNI;
2. You got a card that is lvl 3 that you thing is trash but it is quite good if you use Dethmold or better yet, use Dandelion and upgrade it to 6 and play a River Hunter or any other Bronze cards (surely they will be 6 by now);

It is a powerful thinning and combo, try it ;-)

rogeriofi;n9200561 said:
1. I activate it with Henselt on first turn in the first row

that feels like quite a waste of Henselt! and a waste of the first 3 Commando as well.

yeah I think it is another example of how terrible Trio effects are.

Hmm i can see its trio ability being played in henselt deck.

But I think its trio ability is dead in foltest deck since there's no card in NR that has 3 strength or 6 strength after fully buffed with Foltest + 3 K sergeant. And i'm a foltest player myself and never played any henselt deck. And right now 50% of my matchup is against monster deck which runs Water hag and i don't really like the idea of putting 7 minion on the same row for a huge Lacerate :/

And right now i didn't really like Ves. She seems to be a waste of a silver card slot for what she brings. Well sure she is automatically pulled from your deck and protect against Igni but having her in swarm deck just stressed me out in mulligan nightmare and I ended up switching her with Sarah.

Btw I never really have any problem in thinning my deck. Heck most of the game I played ended in me having 0 card remaining in my deck and my poor reaver scouts doesnt have any target to pull lol.

scorba;n9200831 said:
that feels like quite a waste of Henselt! and a waste of the first 3 Commando as well.

yeah I think it is another example of how terrible Trio effects are.

I think he used henselt on K sergeant tho. Could result in a huge 32 power swing with 2 K sergeant + 2 BSC + 1 ves.

And sadly the best trio effect is on monster lol. But no one plays it when Dagon weather and monster consume is crazy

Last edited:
Use Henselt on K Sergeant, that is right. First round with 2 cards you have 45 points.
Cards advantage is everything and if the opponent keeps playing just pass and you end up with 1, 2 maybe 3 cards advantage for rounds 2 and 3.

Having played a lot of a control Radovid deck with siege weapons for swarm control in the last days, I have actually activated the trio a few times, but rather as a benign, random side effect of having BSCs in the deck for thinning and Vernon for tempo plays. Detmold has then rarely drawn the newly generated BSC out of the deck, which makes up a little bit for the change to the Kedweni Sargents not buffing silvers anymore.
I do not think the trio ability is worth playing a deck around it, mainly because the ones generated by the trio effect are unbuffed and as such difficult to summon( since most NR decks will run KS, options to summon are pretty much strength 3 silvers). It used to be better when reaver scouts in Foltest decks could do that, but with their base strength lowered to 1, they barely miss it now. The trio would be an interesting option if the BSC were generated at the same strength of th one played that generated it.

Compared to Reaver Hunters and Wild Hunt Riders, the Blue Stripes Commando ability is rather weak and underwhelming. I'm pretty sure we'll see it changed in the future. I hope they do anyways.

The BSC combo is not very effective. But BSCs are great for deck thinning. Plus they are a free card. With a Foltest deck they are 4 strength, and more if they get boosted and played with seargents.

For the henselt-sergeant combo it makes perfect sense to use this ability. In most other cases it's kind of unreliable. But I assume that there will be more cards in the future that can trigger this ability so it's not necessarily something that needs to change.

However I doubt that a 45 points Henselt-KS-BSC-Ves-power swing after only two turns (with insane deck thinning) is healthy for the game, even if you can easily counter it. Don't get me wrong I love the KS-BSC interaction and I don't want it to change. Ves on the other hand...

i like the trio alot, but i tend to change it up.

i use 2 KS, then either activate the trio with TI (get 20 pts there) or Red KE (10 pts + future healing), bringing out ves. kind of depends on what i think might get P2 to either pass or play alot to bleed off in RD1.

So I play on ps4,, but I’ve seen BSC combos that generate up to six commandos in one turn,, idk what cards are involved really because it happened so fast but must certainly uses scouts and a combo of some other cards like pavetta or reinforcements or renew... have you guys ever seen this??

So I play on ps4,, but I’ve seen BSC combos that generate up to six commandos in one turn,, idk what cards are involved really because it happened so fast but must certainly uses scouts and a combo of some other cards like pavetta or reinforcements or renew... have you guys ever seen this??
Yes, Reinforcements + 2 Scouts means you get 5 Blue Stripes Commandosand using Pavetta you shuffle all 5 back into your deck, with 1 on your board (preferably with Foltest or Ves) you can then use it to pull all others out of your deck.
You can also get more copies via Operator (Operator + 2 Scouts + Reinforcements means you get 6 in total), stealing copies an opponent plays or stealing a Letho: Kingslayer on a Commando.

The initial topic is about the version in old Gwent however, so I am wondering why you responded to this topic in specific.

Btw do you remember people saying Blue Stripes Commandos would be the worst faction duo card ?
I do, it is hilarious. Who would have seen this coming ? (sarcasm end)

I played blue stripes commando with success and think they are totaly fine and underrated.

Played them with henselt and following cards:

- Blue Stripes Scout (obv reason). i often used henselt on them for insane tempo
- Operator (either to have a "second chance" for their ability or to have one bsc in hand for round 3)
- Princess Pavetta (to shuffle them back in my deck)
- Keira Metz and Alzurs Double Cross (to secure a first round operator most of the time/ or to pull out pavetta, other spells were techcards against the current meta)
- Summoning Circle (overall great card for combos like these)

The biggest weakness was if i didnt drew a commando or summoning circle in the first round. In that case i usually used reinforced trebuchets to contest round 1.

I'm sad it's not a trio in the first place like it was in Gwent in Witcher 3.

I also think it's ridiculously cheap to duplicate this card endlessly with a 4 provision card. I've seen too many Northern deck that just use this single tactic. It's boring to play against. Seems somewhat desperate.

Once I played nilfgaard against this deck, and I locked everything, yet they managed to pull up a huge amount of blue stars in the end. It was quite ridiculous.

Top Bottom