Experimenting with Eist Veterans

+
Experimenting with Eist Veterans

Right. So we know that the veterans archetype got the hard 'N' nerf. But I got curious with Eist and wanted to see what I could do with the new version of the deck, just to see where it's gone wrong and where it maybe hasn't. Decklist is as follows:

Leader: Eist

Golds: Coral, Hym, Birna Bran, Olaf

Silvers: Sigrdrifa, Harald Houndsnout, Restore, Skjall, Udalryk/Morkvarg, Operator

Bronzes: Tuirsech Veteran x 3, Priestess o Freya x 3, Clan Brokvar Hunter x 3, Beastmaster x 3, Clan Tuirsech Skirmishers x 2, Shieldmaiden x 3

The deck's relatively bare bones and mostly worries about doing its own thing, though I've also experimented with a version that uses Clan Protector and spears to have some removal, taking out a freya and shieldmaiden to make room.

In the average game this deck will knock out 4-5 Veterans (1 from Eist turn 1, hopefully an Operator'd one turn 3, another from the hand turn 4, and draw into one on the second round. This makes all the other bronzes and Birna pretty beefy, and moves Birna from just a good gold to pretty damn excellent, and save for the tech cards the deck's minimum bronze play becomes 13 (the hunters). Freyas most res beastmasters to set up Olaf later, but triggering the skirmisher's self-buff is worthwhile too. Shieldmaidens deck thin and get more big scary dudes out on the board.

Hym provides one of the few real combos, summoning Skjall into Houndsnout/spy/Mork depending on mood and draws. Restore is usually used on a beastmaster because why not?

Honestly, while I don't appreciate the loss of the veterans tag and dislike that it won't trigger graveyards, the deck is pretty reliable and generates a lot of power. It definitely isn't viable due to being too squeezed for space to fit in removal, and honestly its tempo is too low despite all the strengthening, and aside from Hym combo it doesn't really build anywhere, more just hoping to overpower with raw numbers. Any thoughts on tweaks to at least get it as good as it can be? Let's see if we can't make Eist veterans a thing.

Oh god I couldn't help but laugh sorry :p This is hilarious xD

Though admittedly, I have to agree it was interesting. If it comes back, I'd like to know how testing goes :)

Top Bottom