Finally! I am able to use Kambi!

I was facing opponent reveal deck, he/she reveal all my cards except Kambi :D

Attachments

• photo168281.jpg
    photo168281.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 205

DRK3

Forum veteran
I've always used Kambi, and im still adapting to these new changes but im pretty sure now he's even deadlier. I'll try to share a few hints for possible Kambi follo...i mean users:

1. now he obviously doesnt have good synergy with Hjalmar anymore. I still use both, but try using Hjalmar on a different round, or only after the Kambi play.

2. if your opponent put weather on your board, you can use it to kill Kambi without having to do anything. If that's not the case, the best way to take him out is with Bloodcurdling Roar as it always works no matter if your opponent buffs him, and you still get a 11 bear to put after Hemdall comes (credit for finding this out is not mine, i saw a player use it against me unfortunately i dont remember his name).

3. The Silver lock units dont work on Kambi. Dshackles probably does but i havent seen anyone using it anymore now that Golds are vulnerable. Kambi also cant be turned into Jade statue which is nice.
[[EDIT]] Turns out, at least SOME of the silver lock units can target Kambi. I had someone who used one and seemed unable to target my Kambi, but more recently, a guy used Silver Monster lock to lock my Kambi and kill him instantly since it was on frost.

If i remember other hints i'll share them here.

Last edited:
1st match, didn't notice the changes of Kambi, don't have any mean to kill it thus I lose the match( probably lose anyway :D )
2nd match, didn't read the description carefully, I thought it will spawn Hemdall on my side thus...
3rd match, didn't notice the changes of Stammelford's Tremors thus no extra 4 power...

DRK3

Forum veteran
Ildun;n9475921 said:
1st match, didn't notice the changes of Kambi, don't have any mean to kill it thus I lose the match( probably lose anyway :D )
2nd match, didn't read the description carefully, I thought it will spawn Hemdall on my side thus...
3rd match, didn't notice the changes of Stammelford's Tremors thus no extra 4 power...

Yeah, i feel your pain, 1) and 2) happened to me exactly the same.

But fear not, i've come to share Kambi hints on this new version, where he spawns on opponent's side like he used to ages ago, so you cant use Bloodcurdling Roar to trigger him anymore.

So, the biggest danger to a Kambi deck is not being able to trigger Hemdall, and the silver unit locks are super popular so they're really dangerous. I've found the best way to trigger Hemdall now is to not even give your opponent a chance to react to putting Kambi. How?

1. Weather, specially frost that damages the lowest unit on row, and Kambi is a 1pt, so only danger of frost not hitting Kambi is if they have stupid 1pt Harpies or eggs, or other Monster units that are 1 pt. You can also put weather on a row your opponent has no units, so he wont feel the need to clear it away, but that might be suspicious.

2. My favourite - Savage Bear. He hits any enemy by 1 pt, perfect for instantly taking out Kambi as soon as you put him. Just be careful he doesnt get locked or destroyed before you play Kambi.

Note: extra careful when facing NR decks. They have a ton of units that boost allies as soon as they enter the board and the Kambi you played can be buffed beyond the damage the weather or bear does.

Good luck and praise the Great Lord Hemdall.

I gave up on Kambi. Last version was alot more exciting, calculating everything, using right cards. But now its useless if you dont have atleast 1 card advantige over enemy. Resurrect 4 queensguards or 3 + Morkvarg. If any of them get locked, you're in trouble.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im also having trouble with my Kambi deck (or maybe it was just a bad luck streak yesterday)

Everyone in ranked is so focused on tempo, and with my deck being super reliant on luck on the draw, i almost always reach the end with 2 card disadvantage, even after using my spy!

No problem on stealing my Queensguards though - got Skellige Storm to kill them and Donar to bring them back, and even Summoning Circle to get another QG if i get the chance. My max is 6 Queensguards.

Yeah queensguards are very low tempo, leader got nerfed also. I have a queens deck for casual play with comanders horn and yesterday versus a kambi deck i managed to win because i had last card.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, here's my Kambi update - true, that Queensguard is very low tempo, but im having really good results with it in this meta. Why?

It's great against NR, which seems to be the most played faction. The problem is not getting far behind in CA. 1 card behind is usually manageable, but 2 usually means doom, unless its one who already played all his aces before the Kambi play, but they usually leave Shani / Dijkstra for the end.

I recommend using a Spy only in the round you're planning to use Kambi, as it's the only way you'll get CA and know it will be destroyed anyway.

You usually need a 30-40 points with one card to surpass the 16 Hemdall + whatever the opponent's last card will do, that's why i use QG, biggest problem is when they have that stupid Hailstorm for last and i rarely get the last card on those matches...

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, decided to rez this topic (ironic on all fronts, im aware), since Kambi is going through some rough times.

Since the Midwinter Update, ive moved away from my QG deck - since the Queensguard havent been buffed like most other bronzes, spending a whole match slowly strengthening your "QG squad" usually leads to defeat, specially since even if the enemy isnt expecting Kambi, they will try to go 2-0 on you, to avoid a R3 where you have your whole QG squad and he has 1/2 cards.

Note however QG still works sometimes. You can easily get 4-6 Queensguards (with Dopplers, Operator, silver lock to steal your enemy's QG he obtained from Operator,...) + Cerys, for an impressive 35-55 pts in 1 card. The hard part is getting there.

Back to Kambi - he now provides 20pts to opponent, and he'll probably still have 1 or 2 cards in hand, unless you got some sweet CA. And Hemdall blows up the entire board (Ambushes included!), however there are ways to get "Hemdall carryover", and im currently exploring those, will present them when im satisfied, but feel free to share your strategies.

I haven't tried my kambi deck at all since the patch, except once, in a friendly match, where it failed miserably (and I might have been silently cursed by my opponent a bit. Thanks Tir_na_Lia :p )

The main problem is that QG are very vulnerable to Muzzle/ Vicovaros and with the power creep, they are not worth as much as your average bronze even when you get all of them on the board. Plus you can't resurrect Shieldsmiths anymore, so you don't have a lot of ways to pass the time until you have to use Kambi.

DRK3

Forum veteran
ser2440 My new goal is to set up the board perfectly for when you use Kambi, you dont get 20pt Hemdall on your enemy's side and your at 0.

I am still confident the best way to trigger Hemdall is instantly, with Savage Bears. Now im trying to find the safest way that provides more points after Hemdall comes.

I recommend Morkvarg, Cerys, Harald Houndsnout, Prize Winning Cow and Bloodcurdling Roars... There is potential in there to reach instant 50 pts after Hemdall!

ser2440;n10194682 said:
I haven't tried my kambi deck at all since the patch, except once, in a friendly match, where it failed miserably (and I might have been silently cursed by my opponent a bit. Thanks Tir_na_Lia :p )

The main problem is that QG are very vulnerable to Muzzle/ Vicovaros and with the power creep, they are not worth as much as your average bronze even when you get all of them on the board. Plus you can't resurrect Shieldsmiths anymore, so you don't have a lot of ways to pass the time until you have to use Kambi.

I could never curse someone as dedicated as to try to run Kambi decently, as opposed to spam bears or other auto-pilot stuff :).

You can always count on me to train your Kambi deck until it becomes very effective.

I built the other day a Kambi deck using Craig an Craite as leader... Pretty funny one, but not competitive at all

I actually use Harald Houndsnout, but I did never get the combo... ¿Does it work? In fact, In the last 3 games did not draw Kambi with only 5, 4 and 2 cards left in the deck

I'll post the decklist if you want this afternoon, when I can check it and put the correct names of the cards

I think they may have tuned Heimdall to the point that it's impossible to get value out of playing Kambi. I lost to one Kambi deck where they followed with Ciri: Nova. But it's very hard to get 20pts in a single card out of SK. QG are the best bet, but if you didn't have the last card you're not going to get it.

The problem is you MUST have card advantage to win with a Kambi deck. I see no other way you can possibly win. If you get the last play, they end up with a 20pt gold. You need last play +1. Kambi's more gimmicky than Shupe decks currently.

DRK3

Forum veteran
iamthedave Just curious, do you remember if that Kambi + Ciri Nova was me? Because i was using that combo, but the 20-25 difference is too low, so i moved to search the mythical "Hemdall carryover".

Just like i had suggested before and Mineraldo said, Harald Houndsnout is a great choice, because the 11 pt bear that spawns from the destroyed skull appears after Hemdall. Use decoy to spawn 2 of those skulls before playing Kambi, and the result is 22 to you and 20 for enemy's Hemdall. Prize Winning Cow, another silver that gives 14 pt unit after Hemdall comes. The problem with these strategies is these are 1 pt units, very suscetible to anything the opponent does.

And about getting those 20 pts in a single card being hard for SK, to compensate for Kambi? Not true at all. I've studied all possible cards, and there are 2 great options everyone has: Scorch and Dudu. Lately ive used Dudu, seems safer in case the opponent plays something even stronger than 20 pt Hemdall.

Oh, and if you dont instant trigger Kambi with weather / Savage Bears, and like dangerous strategies: put Harald Houndsnout, put Kambi on the opposite row, then eat the skull that does 1 damage to opposite row with a Bloodcurdling Roar - BAM, both bears spawn AFTER Hemdall comes.

Top Bottom