Yoana's textbox missleading or not working as intended

+
Yoana's textbox missleading or not working as intended

I was trying to make a SK deck around the new card Ihuarr...Iruharr...Ihurara....Well, you see which one, the Unicorn that deals 7 damage to 3 units when it reaches it's base strenght and I naturally stumbled on Yoana.

Just for recall, here's what Yoana reads : "Heal an ally, then boost it by the amount healed"

Sounds like the perfect card for my meme deck, took her aboard played the deck on Casual and finally got to the point where my genius combo could be put in action.
So I played Ihurrathingy, it survived (that's already amazing) followed up with Yoana targetting the Unicorn and......Nothing....

I mean, sure the Horse got virtually healed and buffed by half this amount but no "nuke the opponent's board" happened.

And I'm sorry but it should, at first I though I missread the card and took a second look at it but it clearly says "Heal an ally and THEN blabla"
So, what should have happened is Yoana healing Ihuarraquax (I think I got it right) triggering its ability and then boost it by half the amount healed.
Either there is a bug or the card isn't working as intended (or not working as it should, at the very least).

Currently, what Yoana actually does is "Boost a unit by the difference between its base strengh and its current strengh + the amount restored this way" (something like that), I know the difference isn't huge but it's still there..

devivre;n10604372 said:
I understand your confusion, although I'm not surprised this interaction didn't work as planned.

Feel free to let CDPR support know, that the wording could be better here: https://www.playgwent.com/en/contact-support

Done.
I'm not surprised either and I don't blame them.
It's kind of a pretty understandable shortcut when they made Yoana's ability but it turns out to be missleading now Ihuarraquax is a thing.

Thx for your answer.

partci

Forum veteran
Problem is that you are thinking of this interaction as a two steps process, while the game does it in one step. but one can say that the wording on Yoana's ability is really misleading with this combo, yes. Maybe the actual problem here is BOOSTING and not strengthening, thus you have the Armorsmiths in SK... and a Silver slot for a better card open, cause this interaction is not worth it at all (5+10 or something like that).

I'm confused as to why she WOULDN'T work with Ihuarraquax, can someone explain? Does the unicorn only trigger when it's at 7 and not above that? I'm assuming from it's wording that it has to be exactly 7 to trigger, but I'm forever confused by the simplest things.

It triggers when its base power is equal to its power, not necessarily 7 if strengthen or weaken effects are involved. Basically, any time its power turns white in-game.

The issue here is that the game checks the condition before Yoanna's effect (when Ihuarraquax is still damaged), and again after her effect (when it's already boosted) - but doesn't register that it was met in-between.
I can imagine this is intended, but without CDPR revealing the actual rules of the game it's impossible to tell.

partci;n10618632 said:
Problem is that you are thinking of this interaction as a two steps process, while the game does it in one step. but one can say that the wording on Yoana's ability is really misleading with this combo, yes. Maybe the actual problem here is BOOSTING and not strengthening, thus you have the Armorsmiths in SK... and a Silver slot for a better card open, cause this interaction is not worth it at all (5+10 or something like that).

NomanPeopled;n10619082 said:
It triggers when its base power is equal to its power, not necessarily 7 if strengthen or weaken effects are involved. Basically, any time its power turns white in-game.

The issue here is that the game checks the condition before Yoanna's effect (when Ihuarraquax is still damaged), and again after her effect (when it's already boosted) - but doesn't register that it was met in-between.
I can imagine this is intended, but without CDPR revealing the actual rules of the game it's impossible to tell.

I have the answer from the support team (thx to them for their quick rersponse btw) and here's what they explained :
"Ihuarraquax deals damage on turn end, if the requirement was met. Yoana heals and then boosts, however the turn end happens last."

So basically you guys are right, Yoana's ability is resolved as if it was a single trigger, which is okay but I'm agree with NomanPeopled, this game need a game rule somewhere.
It's tricky because originally being a MTG player I tend to always think things like a MTG player (with ability going on the stack and things resolving one after the other before passing the priority back to your opponent) but it doesn't work like this in Gwent.

So, at the end of the day Yoana is a healer that doesn't really heal, that's good to know indeed. lol

Thanks for the confirmation. Yeah, I played MtG myself, triggered abilities would be put on the stack after the resolution of a spell or ability.
I seem to remember that Arachas used to create units in-between Unseen Elder's consumes (back when it was Arachas Queen). I really hope they start publishing rules and rules updates once the game is finally out of beta. Figuring out undocumented changes gets old really quickly.

I think the problem is not with the wording of Yoana's description, but the wording with Ihuarraquax's. It only works when its power is EXACTLY 7.
Yoana heals it and boosts it so at the end of the turn it will be 12 instead of 7.

Last edited:
I think it's more that 'Quax text is misleading... doesn't say when it fires (and even suggests it could fire more than once)

styape;n10669351 said:
I think the problem is not with the wording of Yoana's description, but the wording with Ihuarraquax's. It only works when its power is EXACTLY 7.
Yoana heals it and boosts it so at the end of the turn it will be 12 instead of 7.

Ihuarraquax doesn’t only fire at exactly 7. Yesterday I played Ihuarraquax and my opponent used mandrake on him. His strength went to 1 and he fired at the end of my turn: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4s0b84bA1t4.

So it only works if it's not boosted and not damaged.
Turns out there's nothing wrong with either card's description, we just need to comprehend it better.

Last edited:
pie_ka;n10670671 said:
Ihuarraquax doesn’t only fire at exactly 7. Yesterday I played Ihuarraquax and my opponent used mandrake on him. His strength went to 1 and he fired at the end of my turn: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4s0b84bA1t4.
well that's an important difference from Duckies card text.... "whenever" is definitely not "at end of your turn"

styape;n10670731 said:
So it only works if it's not boosted and not damaged.
Turns out there's nothing wrong with either card's description, we just need to comprehend it better.
I think that's a major difference in card description on the latter

GenLiu;n10604322 said:
I mean, sure the Horse got virtually healed and buffed by half this amount but no "nuke the opponent's board" happened.

And I'm sorry but it should, at first I though I missread the card and took a second look at it but it clearly says "Heal an ally and THEN blabla"
So, what should have happened is Yoana healing Ihuarraquax (I think I got it right) triggering its ability and then boost it by half the amount healed.
Either there is a bug or the card isn't working as intended (or not working as it should, at the very least).

If I understand your problem correctly, you expected Ihuarraquax to trigger it's ability between Yoana's heal and her boost.

But Ihuarraquax works like this: "When this unit's current power equals its base power, deal 7 damage to 3 enemies on turn end"
Which means (I think... and please correct me if I'm wrong) it triggers when it's not boosted and not damaged when the turn of the player who put it on the board ends.

In your case it was boosted and it didn't trigger but that's not Yoana's fault. So there's no problem with Yoana.

Void_Singer;n10670991 said:

Yep... you're right. My bad, I didn't even think about strength modifying cards (just boost and heal), that's why I wrote exactly 7.

Void_Singer;n10670991 said:
I think that's a major difference in card description on the latter
So are you saying it should be: "When this unit's current power equals its base power, deal 7 damage to 3 enemies at the end of your turn"?

Last edited:
styape;n10671221 said:
If I understand your problem correctly, you expected Ihuarraquax to trigger it's ability between Yoana's heal and her boost.

But Ihuarraquax works like this: "When this unit's current power equals its base power, deal 7 damage to 3 enemies on turn end"
Which means (I think... and please correct me if I'm wrong) it triggers when it's not boosted and not damaged when the turn of the player who put it on the board ends.

In your case it was boosted and it didn't trigger but that's not Yoana's fault. So there's no problem with Yoana.
In fact, what I excpected is the following : Yoana enters the battlefield, heal Ihurraquax (validate its ability for turn end) then heal it to full.

But yeah, it doesn't work like this lol

styape;n10671221 said:
[...]
So are you saying it should be: "When this unit's current power equals its base power, deal 7 damage to 3 enemies at the end of your turn"?
what actually appears to be happening is:
Code:
Deal 5 damage to self.
Single-Use. When this unit's power equals it's base strength at the end of your turn, deal 7 damage to 3 enemies.
it's important because it apparently only checks to fire at the end of the turn... it's not checking all the time and then firing later... it's only checking once, so any intervening action could make the check fail.... such as the boost that happens after the heal with Yoana (but before the end of the turn)

Void_Singer;n10673921 said:
what actually appears to be happening is:
Code:
Deal 5 damage to self.
Single-Use. When this unit's power equals it's base strength at the end of your turn, deal 7 damage to 3 enemies.

Hmm... that's a good description.

I wondered if base power is the same thing as base strength. Made a search in the Deck Builder, turns out (based on Lugos and the spotters) there's no such thing as base strength, strength equals base power.

Maybe description will be less confusing if it would go something like this:
"Deals 5 damage to self.
If the number in the corner of the card is white (not green or red), it will go pew-pew
dealing 7 damage to 3 enemies when the coin flips to red from blue."

Top Bottom