Price of Thronebreaker?

+
4RM3D;n9377721 said:
5) It's also not known whether or not the campaign cards can be acquired through other means.

in hearthstone, the adventures are about getting cards rather than the campaign, so it makes sense for them to be acquirable via in-game currency.

as it seems, gwent "adventures" will be about the campaign itself, with cards being a bonus; it's natural for them to not be purchasable with gold, as long as there is a way to acquire the cards without buying the campaign.

IE: a bundle which people can buy with ore (or a discounted real currency price) to get the new cards, without getting access to the campaign itself

In December 2016, on these official foums, a CDPR dev said that the first campaign would be free for closed beta testers to play and would be coming "soon" (that was 8 months ago) and I replied to his post saying that was awesome and generous so I used that free announcement as an excuse to spend real money on my first batch of 60 kegs which I also stated in reply.

With the new announcement in this thread.... apparently they lied, or whatever that smaller campaign was was cancelled or integrated into Thronebreaker.

Edit: I've been trying to find that post back to link it here but the forum search by member's posts doesn't seem to go back any further than January of this year...

Edit 2: Searching by keyword goes back further but I'm still not finding it after a half hour, I'm starting to think the post was deleted entirely, was a dev comment in reply to someone in the news subforum near some other posts that were talking about the gwent chinese event that happened in December revealing new things that us English folk weren't yet shown or told (including some details on the campaign as well as the 2 month season cycle) people were discussing what they expected the price to be and the dev comes in and says that the first campaign will be free to play during the closed beta.

Last edited:
I'm not delusional! Someone else remembers the exact same thing: www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/5r73ub/single_player_campaign_info/

gwent.JPG

Attachments

• gwent.JPG
    gwent.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 126
Marcin_Momot;n9387001 said:
Thronebreaker will be available for purchase with real currency - we will reveal its price as we get closer to the release date. It will add 20 cards to the multiplayer collection. During campaign you will obtain way more cards than that, but they will all be tailored for single-player purposes. Hope this helps.

So...will there be SP-exclusive cards?

I wouldn't mind the same card has different/tweaked effects, but I really want to see all cards in MP tho

Chaob_N7;n9389611 said:
I'm not delusional! Someone else remembers the exact same thing: www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/5r73ub/single_player_campaign_info/

If you go here you'll find for example a comment from rethaz who talks about the free campaign being at least an hour long:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/5j90fd/psa_first_campaign_will_be_free/

So obviously that's not going to be the Thronebreaker campaign but just because it isn't that doesn't mean we won't get this small mini-campaign at some point.

devivre;n9391491 said:
If you go here you'll find for example a comment from rethaz who talks about the free campaign being at least an hour long:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comme..._will_be_free/

So obviously that's not going to be the Thronebreaker campaign but just because it isn't that doesn't mean we won't get this small mini-campaign at some point.

Ah, good catch, thanks for that link. I rarely ever look at the reddit stuff and the post that I saw by a dev on these official forums was someone other than Rethaz, but it definitely made it sound like we'd be seeing whatever campaign it was before the end of closed beta and since then we've heard nothing up till now when we're seeing a "pay real money only" campaign which was supposed to come after the free campaign so.... Need official word then. Is this other campaign dead? Did it get integrated into Thronebreaker? Or will we still see it eventually as promised and for free?

I'll definitely be buying Thronebreaker, but I sure do want details on what we were promised ahead of it!

Last edited:
Hydrahead;n9387381 said:
It just became a bit p2w :p I don't mind paying for the SP campaign but I do think they should have used the same model as in Hearthstone. Kind of a shame imo even though I'm gonna pay with real money anyway.

That basically forced people only interested in MP to play through it to unlock cards. Here it's completely separate, so not a single soul will get pissed about it. I do hope you get rewards in the shape of kegs to get some of your money's worth, but I wouldn't be mad if that wasn't the case (it that could cut the price down by a notch).

Marginal0;n9401431 said:
That basically forced people only interested in MP to play through it to unlock cards. Here it's completely separate, so not a single soul will get pissed about it. I do hope you get rewards in the shape of kegs to get some of your money's worth, but I wouldn't be mad if that wasn't the case (it that could cut the price down by a notch).

I'm not sure you understand, they said there will be cards unlocked for MP with this "expansion" so it's not compleatly separated from it.
We also still don't know if those cards will be available for everyone or just for those who purchased Thronebreaker and that's I think what people are concerned about because if those cards happen to be any good then it will push the game into a p2w format.

I was quite disappointed when I heard the campaigns will be paid, as this means Free To Play-players (like me) can no longer compete in multiplayer. Let's hope the campaign will be priced reasonably, otherwise I fear a lot of players will quit.

Khenra;n9417821 said:
I was quite disappointed when I heard the campaigns will be paid, as this means Free To Play-players (like me) can no longer compete in multiplayer. Let's hope the campaign will be priced reasonably, otherwise I fear a lot of players will quit.

Well, W3 Expansions were dirt cheap.... but gwent kegs are comparatively ultra-expensive. Because this is attached to story content though it's either going to be $10 or $20 my guess.

I will 100% support the developers and buy the Campaign - they've already gave us a great free game to play and I had great time the last 4 or so months with it. Granted, the new patch did hit me in the balls, but I guess the problems with it won't apply into the Campaign.

Question - if we've spent money on kegs can we get some kind of a discount on the singleplayer campaign? We've shown good faith spending money on a beta, I think it would be fair to then offer those people a discount on the campaign when it comes out, especially considering, as has been much discussed, there will be cards offered that cannot otherwise be obtained.

4RM3D;n9377721 said:
1) The main campaign can only be bought with real money.

Marcin_Momot;n9387001 said:
It will add 20 cards to the multiplayer collection.

Can you help me with this one? These two quotes directly conflict, isn't it? If you can purchase only with real money and it gives 20 cards that can be used in multiplayer, doesn't that give an obvious unfair advantage over people who cannot purchase it?

I'd like to know the thought process here, or just even explain to me if i am missing something. Personally i would expect in-game currency to purchase the Campaign too. I understand a F2P game must generate some form of steady revenue but this should happen without making the playerbase feel left out or making the gameplay experience unbalanced.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
Norinoo;n9449741 said:
... an obvious unfair advantage over people who cannot purchase it?...

Err... they paid for it, what's unfair to that? Pay about it and you'll have the cards too.

Norinoo

The two quotes do not conflict with each other. It simply means that paying for the campaign also gives you cards which you can use in multiplayer. This does mean that some cards are locked behind a paywall, which is a bad thing. That's why I hope the devs make the campaign cards available through other means, like buying them with Ore, even if they charge a double rate to compensate for it.

partci;n9450311 said:
Err... they paid for it, what's unfair to that? Pay about it and you'll have the cards too.

Unfair is that, the game is F2P, you will have players that, for whatever personal reason, may not be able to purchase (or purchase immediately) the payed Campaign. Thus, the multiplayer experience will be unbalanced. At least from those player perspective. I don't know if you can relate here (or be empathetic) but i explained as best as i can.

Yes you paid for it, but by paying you get cards someone else cannot get. Also, perhaps i am mistaken here but, i almost recall CDPR claiming the Campaign cards will not be usable in Multiplayer. But i do not keep records on them, so i don't know....interesting twist nevertheless CDPR.

Top Bottom