x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Thronebreaker a Canon? (Book spoilers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They didn't buy the rights to the series, they bought the rigths to do a videogame adaptation of the series; but the videogames are not considered canon, nor a "true" continuation of the novels. On top of that, there are a lot of details on the videogames that go specifically against canon of the novels: new characters, characters whose destiny is different on the novels, or simply some characters traits. For example, Triss Merigold wasn't a redhead, and her neckline never, never showed cleavage. Not criticising, it is a great game, but it is not canon and there are some things to say about the treatment of some of the characters.

Comment

Neither The Witcher series nor Gwent/Thronebreaker are considered Canon by die-hard book fans and will never be. How I see it Witcher series and Thronebreaker are more like alternate universe

Comment

Originally posted by ulthran7 View Post
        Neither The Witcher series nor Gwent/Thronebreaker are considered Canon by die-hard book fans and will never be. How I see it Witcher series and Thronebreaker are more like alternate universe
        If you consider it an alternate universe then it could be canon, at least in your head

Also "die-hard book fans" arent the majority of the player base from what I know so I dont see how discussing if this is canon or non-canon is even relevant.
        I would understand when it comes to something like Harry Potter wich became popular because of the books but here its the other way around, the games made the books popular so should we really care if the games are canon to the books?

Comment

Originally posted by Shuls02 View Post
          the games made the books popular so should we really care if the games are canon to the books?
          Woah there, that's a bold statement. I don't know where you're from but in Poland books were widely known much before games and still sold much more than games. I mean outside of Poland that's probably true, but still overstatement as books were translated and published in english, spanish, german, russian, czech, slovak, lithuanian, french, and portuguese before anyone even heard about games.

Comment

Originally posted by ulthran7 View Post

Woah there, that's a bold statement. I don't know where you're from but in Poland books were widely known much before games and still sold much more than games. I mean outside of Poland that's probably true, but still overstatement as books were translated and published in english, spanish, german, russian, czech, slovak, lithuanian, french, and portuguese before anyone even heard about games.
            Well it's not just about Poland. And as I stated in the first post, I asked about the game canon because the book canon is of little importance anyway.
            Va fail, elaine - caed'mil, folie! Glaeddyv dorne aep t'enaid, bunn'droh ithne i'yachus.

Comment

Originally posted by Birkewedd View Post

Well it's not just about Poland. And as I stated in the first post, I asked about the game canon because the book canon is of little importance anyway.
              I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't make it canon with the games.

Comment

Btw, i recently started read again canon, but i don't remember 5th book, it was The lady of lake, i'm at 4th book. And i never read so far Season of Storms. But i don't remember except Sigdrifa, Crach, novel with Calante, Paveta story to encounter so many Skellige characters. Most skellige cards are from game it seems, am i right?

Comment

Originally posted by Birkewedd View Post

Sorry, man, I didn't want to derail the post, it is true that you were asking about game canon, but I think that with that "book spoiler" on the title some of us were carried away a bit. As for your original question, I don't see how could it be non canon. That wouldn't make any sense!

Comment

@Noela
                    I know that the story in the books don't end with Nilfgaard victory but from what I heard, in the canon timeline, after the main events with Gerald's adventures Nilfgaard has succes in their politics of conquers around the continent (or at least in the nordic lands). From what I heard, in the original books Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire and The Tower of the Swallow there are fragments of this book called "Encyclopaedia Maxima Mundi" written by Flourens Delannoy that is a man who lived 200 years after the conclusion of events in the Witcher series and that book tells stories about the past of the empire's northern regions! So if that's true then Nilfgaard conquer the North sooner or later in the canon.

If that's true then I really don't see any meaning in play Thronebreaker. Of course that many will play just because it's fun and features and stuff but that's all, the story will have no meaning. The story is a dead end for them and that's sucks. In the end is all futile, all their fights, conquers, small and big victories and glory will be all swallowed by their enemies and will be turned only in distant shards of the past. Play, put effort and get attached to the characters knowing that will end like that is just too sad.

If that's true then I really hope CD Projekt don't be so dependent on the books and instead create their (or player's) own canon.

Comment

Originally posted by Riigoo View Post
                      @[B][URL="https://forums.cdprojektred.com/member/3291454-noela"]If that's true then I really don't see any meaning in play Thronebreaker. Of course that many will play just because it's fun and features and stuff but that's all, the story will have no meaning. The story is a dead end for them and that's sucks.

Think about movies about historical events: you already know certain events but they can still be awesome as long as the characters are intriguing, the writing is good.

I think there's a lot of stories you can tell within a major conflict. Who wins, or loses in the end isn't necessarily that essential.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that CDPR will try to stay true to the books as good as possible. At the same time I'm optimistic that the Thronebreaker story will give them enough freedom to do their own thing.

Comment

Riigoo I don't want to go more off topic, so I PMed you with a little explanation about that.

Comment

Working...
                        X