The problem with hype

+
The problem with hype

It fades over time.

Now i don't know when this will be released but i think it was a mistake to announce it so early. There are many examples even in film or music that releasing something within a short time from announcement makes it more successful than waiting for it for months.
You can see the same pattern in other games like hearthstone, which announced their first adventure (Nax) 3 months before release, but after that they probably learned something and the next expansion (GvG) was released within a month and for the next expansion after that it was in a matter of weeks.

I don't know what kind of difference this makes for the Gwent community but for the future maybe you'll consider taking advantage of this announcement-release schedule.

And here I thought you were gonna say: "Never lives up to it". It doesn't really matter that hype fades. Once the campaign is released, it will breathe life into Gwent once again.

If you don't announce it, people will continue to ask questions. And after a while that can backfire as well (it has never been a secret that a campaign would follow eventually). Also there were big gaming events recently, so it made sense to me to promote it there along with the e-sports plans.

We'll see how it goes once the campaign is out (it's a bit soon for threads like that). For a young CCG I don't think it's a mistake to create awareness a while before the release. Time will tell.

Actually it didn't make sense, they promoted pro ladder and tournaments and this is what we have now, i'm not sure there was a need to overpromise with the campaign aswell. Granted we can never know what could have been and there is a tendency for the little guy to show how many things he could do but again i'm not sure how well it works.

And while the release of Thornbreaker will reinvigorate the game a bit, i don't think we can deny that some people will get tired of waiting and lose interest altogether. I'm hoping that for the next campaign or expansion they'll take a different route.
I seriously don't see how saying "look at this neat thing we have for you, but we're not gonna say when you'll get it" can sent a positive message to consumers.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im betting on late October / November, probably close to the date 'Hearts of Stone' expansion was released in 2015. Companies like to release their games at same periods of the year, for CDPR seems like it's May/ Jun or Oct/ Nov.

(EDIT) And of course, the time Gwent Closed Beta started last year. Cant believe almost forgot that one...

Hey if you want any evidence. I was new, about to buy the starter pack and craft my first real "meta" deck with scraps. Look at the store, oh Thronebreaker, it may or may not paywall cards (Looks like it will at the moment). Immediately uninstall, why invest money into a products future that is uncertain. Announcing it early and vaguely made me quit. If they came out with a price or preview it would lessen the sting...

Ah, a hype thread. These can be entertaining, one way or the other. . . . Incidentally, the RED Team will be revealing something about Thronebreaker in their next episode of A Round of Gwent, so we may know a bit more Soon®:

Riven-Twain;n9584901 said:
Ah, a hype thread. These can be entertaining, one way or the other. . . . Incidentally, the RED Team will be revealing something about Thronebreaker in their next episode of A Round of Gwent, so we may know a bit more Soon®:

Hey that is good to hear, thanks for the heads up! I know I sound negative sometimes but my principles override my liking of this admittedly awesome game.

I don't mind waiting for Thronebreaker. I prefer them taking their time to do something awesome rather than rushing the whole thing and delivering a non finished/bugged version of the campaign.
Besides, Gwent is not a static game that has nothing to offer in the meanwhile, we had a patch last month with lots of changes (probably among the biggest change since the addition of Nilfgaard into the game) and they'll probably make some more patches to balance the game even more and renew the experience a little bit.

GenLiu;n9602621 said:
I don't mind waiting for Thronebreaker. I prefer them taking their time to do something awesome rather than rushing the whole thing and delivering a non finished/bugged version of the campaign.

I prefer the same thing which is why this statement has nothing to do with what i'm talking about and i not sure if you simply missed the point or twisted it on purpose.
But hey, if you enjoy this type of dangling carrot then my suggestion has absolutely no effect on you, however not everybody shares your view and i think it would be better if CDPR doesn't do this again.

Iuliandrei;n9611331 said:
I prefer the same thing which is why this statement has nothing to do with what i'm talking about and i not sure if you simply missed the point or twisted it on purpose.
But hey, if you enjoy this type of dangling carrot then my suggestion has absolutely no effect on you, however not everybody shares your view and i think it would be better if CDPR doesn't do this again.

Eeeeer I'm confused right now...
I wasn't reacting to anyone I was just giving my opinion about the subject.
And yes, I know you made the subject but it doesn't mean I'm not agree with you or I have something to say to you specifically.

I always quote peoples when I react to their messages...

GenLiu;n9611631 said:
Eeeeer I'm confused right now...
I wasn't reacting to anyone I was just giving my opinion about the subject.
And yes, I know you made the subject but it doesn't mean I'm not agree with you or I have something to say to you specifically.

I always quote peoples when I react to their messages...

It's not about agreeing, just didn't want this to appear as a "release Thronebreaker faster" topic or make it look like this it what the discussion is about so sorry for the confusion.

I mean look how they release the information about it, we also had a dev stream last night yet nothing changes for this discussion. Now on this issue you can agree or disagree but there is a purpose to creating this hype, they did this for a reason so how did it help?

And yes it could be said that regarding last night stream silence would be better than a tease with "soon" at the end.

Building anticipation for Thronebreaker seems to be merely one part of the rather intricate juggling act which is Gwent. The Team must attempt to keep every object interesting and in motion all at once: Beta balancing, social media shenanigans, their various tournaments, the new professional mode, and Thronebreaker, all with a comparatively small development team dedicated to the game. No wonder Burza46 looked tired. . . .

Regardless, the campaign is scheduled for this year (which only has three more months), so I imagine we shan't have too long to wait until they inject another douse of potential enthusiasm for the title.

Iuliandrei;n9612101 said:
It's not about agreeing, just didn't want this to appear as a "release Thronebreaker faster" topic or make it look like this it what the discussion is about so sorry for the confusion.

I mean look how they release the information about it, we also had a dev stream last night yet nothing changes for this discussion. Now on this issue you can agree or disagree but there is a purpose to creating this hype, they did this for a reason so how did it help?

And yes it could be said that regarding last night stream silence would be better than a tease with "soon" at the end.

No problem. I understand your point and there is no harm taken, I was just a little surprised.
Now I realize that my post could have been taken as an hidden way to criticize you but that wasn't the case.

Riven-Twain;n9612201 said:
Regardless, the campaign is scheduled for this year (which only has three more months), so I imagine we shan't have too long to wait until they inject another douse of potential enthusiasm for the title.

Yeah i trust your info on "Round of Gwent" but i think your point can also work the other way aswell. I mean you'd think a small dev team shouldn't look to add more pieces to juggle because they can't sustain that level of anticipation.

Iuliandrei;n9612551 said:
I mean you'd think a small dev team shouldn't look to add more pieces to juggle because they can't sustain that level of anticipation.
One might think that, true. However, CDPR sets rather ambitious goals lately, and, from my experience, makes a valiant effort not to disappoint. We'll see what happens.

Problems with hype? Are we having any?

Of course I can only speak for myself, but... I can't remember when CDPR said first time, that they are going to make single player campaigns for Gwent. In any case, it was a long time ago. Of course my hype-o-meter drops back to 0 after a while of announcement (it won't disappear, it just goes to sleep), but it immediately jumps back to 100% when these campaigns are mentioned again. When they gave name to Thronebreaker and created this subforum, I was in heaven. IT'S REALLY COMING!

Heck, even mentioning that Mahakam Ale Festival in latest stream put me into full blown single player hype mode again. When we are actually getting a release date for Thronebreaker...

Well, we know that it will be long and betteer than normal current campaign. I dont honestly see how there can be THAT much hype. Anyway, I always try not to get hyped, and everyone sohuld do that.

I'm really looking forward to it, dunno if you can call it 'hyped'.
But I think it's good to be looking forward to it, but don't plan to play it immediately after announcement. If you plan it, you might be disappointed.
I'm just thinking that once it comes out, I will play it and love it.

Top Bottom