Single-player / story mode

+
Single-player / story mode

Kotaku published a very interesting article about Gwent story mode yesterday, with commentaries by Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz

Main features:

- Several campaigns with different protagonists, each 10+ hours long with optional quests and areas to explore
- Genre: strategy-RPG with Gwent combat; The Banner Saga and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes among inspirations
- World map is 2D, top-down view, drawn with cel-shading

I am so hopeful for Iorveth and Saskia campaign!

And when you finish it, you get their hero card for the scoiatael deck as a reward : ) !!!!

I would like to see Saskia and Iorveth (especially Saskia) being part or the story too. And hopefully a story less depressing than in the Saskia comic. The E3 footage showed Saskia's father as a card. Don't know if it is supposed for multi-player only, but maybe he will be part of the story-mode too.

It makes me really happy to see a developer putting a lot of focus on a single player aspect to this kind of game as well! If the campaigns are as long as what has been rumored and told, I will be beyond impressed!

If they put in the backstories of the factions, like the Wild Hunt during the time between the books and Witcher 3, the Scoia'tael after Witcher 2, second northern/nilfgaardian war that culminates in a gwent version of the battle of Brenna, then consider me sold.

Last edited:
Besides Saskia/Saesenthessis I REALLY would like to see being part of the story mode... there was an interesting card shown on the E3: the legendary card "The Operator". As far as I remember he belongs to the reptilian-looking "Vran". So do the Vran become part of the monster deck? Do they have a place in the story mode? The never had a real appearance in the three Witcher games (besides of the Operator who does not look like a Vran). It would be nice to welcome a Vran in "the party" for the first time.
;)

Last edited:
I wonder if the choices made in TW 1-3 will have any impact in the Gwent story-campaigns. This could be especially significant with characters who could die depending on the choices that were made (Dijkstra, Siegfried, Letho, Ciri, Iorveth, Saskia, ...). Of course the game could try to avoid all these characters, it could do the same thing that TW3 already did (asking questions about decisions made in the past), or it could just ignore the decisions made in the game and assume that certain character are just alive or met a certain fate... or it could let all stories happen in the past. The last option would make sense with characters that definitely die during the story of the main games (like King Foltest, Eredim, ...). However with certain other characters (Saskia, Iorveth, ...) whose fate were let unclear in the main games this could lead to certain gamers being discontent because they still don't know what happened to their (favorite) characters in the end or just because they want to see them safe.

I hope they make it that you get blueprints/diagrams in campaign for cards so you can craft them before other people in multiplayer .. people who buy campaigns should never be behind those who opt to jump into multiplayer first

I'm going by the Hearthstone Crafting system, which I imagine this will be very similar to.

You can see ALL cards in the game and can craft any of them whenever you want providing you have the resources available.
This is useful to allow you to look through the cards and theorycraft yourself a deck and then aim for those cards with crafting if you want to.

And no one will be any further behind or ahead than anyone else.
It just depends on if you gain currency for card packs in Single-Player or not and whether a person decides to purchase 100 packs at launch.

Saskia:
- Powerful, Righteous, mercyfull, idealistic (a rare combination in The Witcher world)
- Secret: dragon (and dragons = awesome)
- Big outsider bonus (dragons untruly seen as on of the most terrible and evil monsters)
- She likes Geralt

Cynthia:
- Powerful
- Mysterious (well, she is a spy after all and can shroud herself in a cocoon of lies)
- She also likes Geralt ;)

Iorveth:
- Rebel in an unjust and dark world
- Torn between righteousness and an addiction to extremism and hate against humans (well, Scoia'tel)
- A little outsider bonus (elf)
- He also likes... err... respects Geralt

Yes, there are several interesting characters that (in my opinion) deserve more "screen time". My favorite is still Saskia (because of the combination). Could even imagine a whole game/storyline with her as the protagonist. But that's just my point of view. ;)

Top Bottom