The Witcher books (NO SPOILERS)

+
Yeah, in this interview (31:40-), he said Czech translation is one of the best and so is German.
Anyway, I'm not very fond of this cover art, either:(

Last edited:
pinoko;n9532101 said:
Anyway, I'm not very fond of this cover art, either

Well, at least this time they didn't put on the cover characters who weren't even in the book like before:

The American covers are the absolute worst. They basically treat the books like promotional material for the games.

leraversace;n9745621 said:
Are they really worth to buy and read? If anyone has read them, please share your opinions :)

Well, the books are pretty much a national treasure in Poland. So yes, they're definitely worth it.

So...get yourself ready, guys. An "official" fanfic incoming:
http://www.kawerna.pl/aktualnosci

Basically, it's a collection of short stories from the contest for the Polish magazine "Nowa Fantastyka."

Translation:
. SUPERNOWA has prepared a suprise for fans of Andrzej Sapkowski's creations. "Wiedźmin. Szpony i kły" is set to release on 8th of November.

This is the official summary of a new set, counting 400 pages:

Well. Thirty years. The Witcher to hire for three thousand Orens. He wasn't especially a young boy when he first appeared in Vizima, at the Inn of The Fox. The bright hair, scarred face and a specific, ugly smile. He started on a high note: killed three thugs, followed by a Striga and then by numerous monsters - not necessarily inhuman, but still unworthy of a life in the world that has been given to us.

Then he followed his own path. Full of thorns, I'd say, but well - everyone must learn from his own mistakes. With a promise of a sight at Hollywood, waiting out there, still distant, we have to satisfy ourselves with something else - the outcome of contest hosted by "Nowa Fantastyka" and superNOWA: eleven stories inspired by lives and fates of Geralt and his friends. I've read them carefully, but didn't change anything. Amongst these authors, there are definitely some very talented people. They may yet soon surprise us with new worlds or negation of the already existing ones. Don't lose them from your sight!

I read the the first book, older translation (for my country). But, as the new editon has been realised, I bought again first book along with the second volume. I'm planning to buy the whole edition. :D

I read the the first book, older translation (for my country). But, as the new editon has been realised, I bought again first book along with the second volume. I'm planning to buy the whole edition. :D
I can definitely recommend reading them all =) I think my favorites where Last Wish and Baptism of Fire. Enjoy your reading! And please come back to tell us what you thought about the books.

I am curious are the books actually any good? I've Discworld, Wheel of Time, The Dresen Files, etc. would this series be up my alley?

I am curious are the books actually any good? I've Discworld, Wheel of Time, The Dresen Files, etc. would this series be up my alley?

Yep! I'm a huge fantasy / sci-fi fan. I've only read two of the novels, but they were very enjoyable. Definitely on the gritty edge. Much closer to A Song of Ice and Fire than Lord of the Rings.

Yep! I'm a huge fantasy / sci-fi fan. I've only read two of the novels, but they were very enjoyable. Definitely on the gritty edge. Much closer to A Song of Ice and Fire than Lord of the Rings.
You're really gonna tick my wife off lol. I already have a library. Now I have more I need to add! Is the is the Polish(?) to English good?

You're really gonna tick my wife off lol. I already have a library. Now I have more I need to add! Is the is the Polish(?) to English good?

I've heard somewhere the English translation isn't that great. Don't know if it's true though, I've only read the German one.

Hmm. I think with average english knowledge it can't be so enjoyable as on your own language. I read some stories in english from Last Wish, but often interrupt me some unknown word or term. But for @LoSientoCharlie english can't be a problem. I say you can't be wrong if you read them. If you didn't read them in other language in which you are at master level, you won't feel it's better or worse. It will be just as good as you read them. You have nothing to do with other translations.

Top Bottom