Witcher 2 3d Models Port allowed?

+
Witcher 2 3d Models Port allowed?

Hey dudes,

I've played the Witcher1 for some time and really enjoyed it. However these days I'm not playing so much but rather modding (for another game).

In the forum of this game I read that CD Project allows their WitcherII content to be used in mods for other games and be ported to them (like the dead GSC Gameworld did for their stalker 3d stuff).

This seems to be backed up by this mod for skyrim:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6006

There it says:
(...) his cunning dual swords trick, and to CD Projekt Red for creating their awesome Witcher 2 models and allowing modders to use them as a resource.

I wonder, is this legit and primarily, is it written down anywhere? I'm pretty excited about this and I hope it's true but I'd need some some kind of forum post before I could start bringing this stuff into my favorite game as otherwise the moderators would lock me up for lack of proof/permission.

"Ask first" is the absolute requirement for doing this. Every time it is an individual case requiring permission and acknowledgement. You must have the consent of both CDPR and the copyright owner of the game you are porting to.

That said, permission was granted for the Skyrim mod without objection, and it would probably be granted again.

Be prepared to show that you are genuinely capable of transforming the resources to work correctly in your target game. You should be a skilled modder, a skilled 3D modeler, and have a portfolio that demonstrates these qualifications.

Not 100% sure about kind of reply to give to you (though Guy n'Wah might be correct about permission). If you want a quicker and direct answer, I suggest you to contact the CM:

Marcin Momot: marcin.momot@cdprojektred.com
Or send him a private message: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?showuser=33661

Sometimes it also depends on what conditions are placed on mods by the copyright owner of the target game. For example, Bethesda does not allow resources taken from other games in mods for its games. Modders who don't follow that rule usually get detected, and their mods get banned by Nexus.

I remember the Triss Companion mod: this was the issue, and it apparently was resolved by a statement from CDPR saying it was OK to use their resources in the mod.

So definitely contact Marcin about it. But also contact the owner of the game you're modding, and be sure you understand their requirements.

OK thanks I'll contact Marcin then when i get better.

The owner of the game has no Problem with porting models from other games as long as a permission exists from the original copyright holder.

Top Bottom