Witcher Franchise Speculation

+

Witcher Franchise Speculation

• I would like Witcher 4 with Geralt in a story after the Witcher 3 events. Warning! Unlikely!

Votes: 94 23.9%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with Ciri and a story that takes place after Witcher 3 events.

Votes: 107 27.2%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a new PREDEFINED protagonist (not Geralt or Ciri).

Votes: 92 23.4%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a PLAYER CREATED CHARACTER (skyrim, dragon age).

Votes: 71 18.1%
  • I would like a Witcher Prequel Series with a much younger Geralt.

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • I would like Witcher 1 remade and expanded upon in the new engine (and maybe W2 as well).

Votes: 103 26.2%
  • The new game(s) should build on the existing universe. Kingdoms and characters are largely the same.

Votes: 77 19.6%
  • The new game(s) should be a "a fresh start". New exciting lands, characters, companions, lore etc.

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • I would like more than 2 expansions for W3, maybe 4-5 to expand on Ciri, Triss, Saskia, Iorveth etc.

Votes: 179 45.5%
  • Once Witcher 3 is done I don't want more Witcher games. CDPR should do other things.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
I really want anothe witcher, I want to be more in that world, be in Visima, Kovir, etc... I love the idea of create a brand new character!

Hmmm, what was the approximate budget for the first two witcher games again?
We all know the witcher 3 had 81 million and I remember reading long time ago that Witcher 1 had the budget of about less than 10 million and Witcher 2 about 20 million but cant seem to find any confirmation in the internet today.

Just speculating out loud what kind of games remastered witchers would be when cd project red has grown so significantly and could probably use on them more money than for the originals.

SaladinBarchan;n9115680 said:
Hmmm, what was the approximate budget for the first two witcher games again?
We all know the witcher 3 had 81 million and I remember reading long time ago that Witcher 1 had the budget of about less than 10 million and Witcher 2 about 20 million but cant seem to find any confirmation in the internet today.

I recall 10 million for the second game, although that probably does not include the costs of marketing. Of course, with newer technology and higher budget, the first two games could look better, but so far it does not look like CDPR would be interested in remasters or remakes.

Expansions for W3 or fresh new game with new characters would be the best. CD Projekt proved that they can make stories and characters better and more interesting than in books look HoS story for example Olgierd as a character is amazing and many more that are not from the books. Prequel is a bad idea and prequels are usually not what i like though sequel would be great, but game of this type with new lands and new characters would be epic because it would give developer freedom to truly make another masterpiece. Also there would be no discussion what is cannon and what is not which is the only thing that bothers me not with this game but with people discussing because games are considered non canon by author himself and he is right he didn't wrote them. Games are set after the books some characters are same (not all) but this game story is exclusively work of CD Projekt even better than the books themself. Also whole point of this game being rpg are choices and story you as a player make so making fresh game will also give much more freedom both authors and us players. Though we will still need good protagonists similar to Geralt and his company.

Last edited:
GreyBoy;n9150540 said:
Expansions for W3 or fresh new game with new characters would be the best. CD Projekt proved that they can make stories and characters better and more interesting than in books look HoS story for example Olgierd as a character is amazing and many more that are not from the books.

A third expansion has been more or less ruled out by CDPR, but I agree that a fresh start with new characters would be ideal if the developers have the talent and are willing to take some risks.

sv3672;n9164120 said:
A third expansion has been more or less ruled out by CDPR, but I agree that a fresh start with new characters would be ideal if the developers have the talent and are willing to take some risks.

I agree with you there! I feel it would infringe on the trilogy arch, I would love to play something with Yen/Triss/Ciri - I would love to see a continuation with either of those characters or as a much older and more seasoned Ciri as I would love to have known what happened to...
The Bloody Baron/His family depending on if he lived or died of course

sv3672;n9116840 said:
I recall 10 million for the second game, although that probably does not include the costs of marketing. Of course, with newer technology and higher budget, the first two games could look better, but so far it does not look like CDPR would be interested in remasters or remakes.

I don't recall seeing any marketing for the Witchers.
They are so good CDR makes money with just word of mouth, and the various expos.

slothman32;n9178561 said:
I don't recall seeing any marketing for the Witchers.

As far as I know, at least for the third game the marketing costs were comparable to those of the development. Something like $32 million for development and $35 million for marketing, but these figures increased later. Obviously, the game had to be sold somehow to all the console users who previously did not care about the franchise. Although you might be right about the first game, but Witcher 2 already had an Xbox 360 port, and I think the effort to reach a wider audience was already apparent.

sv3672;n9164120 said:
Yes which is why i pointed out on HoS story because is not related to the books in any way and they have proven that they are capable of creating amazing characters and stories on their own. Besides stories of all games are not book adaptations they are stories of their own written by cd projekt. That is why I believe in CD Projekt they and only few other developers like Hideo Kojima can deliver such quality.

The Geralt of Rivia arc should stay a classic trilogy.
If they plan to do more in the Witcher universe I feel like it should be something completely new and separate from the events of Witcher 1-3. With a few references to the trilogy that started it all, of course.

Probably been said a million times, but I would be completely satisfied with either another expansion or a full game set in Kovir. Would work for whether Geralt ended up with Triss or Yen since we dont know where Yen decided to settle down

After having completed Witcher 3 and both expansions, I can say that never in the game it is said that Geralt will retire and stop being a witcher.
This information (that W3 will be the end for Geralt) comes from CDPR interviews, but that's it, in the game story there is no such thing. So, if they want to, they could make a Witcher 4 with Geralt, no problem about that. And the fans won't have a problem with it either, I think.

NikolaBathory;n9268511 said:
After having completed Witcher 3 and both expansions, I can say that never in the game it is said that Geralt will retire and stop being a witcher.
This information (that W3 will be the end for Geralt) comes from CDPR interviews, but that's it, in the game story there is no such thing.

You do get this message when you complete the main story:
"The story of Geralt of Rivia has come to a close. You can continue traveling the world in search of witcher contracts and adventure - but everything will be as it was before the game's last chapter, and quests tied to the main story line will no longer be available."

Of course, the in-game characters themselves do not say this, they cannot know, it would be breaking the fourth wall. Whether Geralt retires, and where, it depends on the player's choices. But I think CDPR made it fairly clear with their communication that they do indeed want to end his story. It would not make them look good if that decision was reversed in the future, not that I say it cannot happen.

And the fans won't have a problem with it either, I think.

That depends on which fans you ask.

Top Bottom