The Witcher books (SPOILERS)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So,
Just finished BAW and exited stage left leaving our hero with his beloved Yen and Ciri (mod) at his Vineyard in Toussaint.
All books read,all games played,all dlc..free and other wise...WHAT A RIDE!

;) Now to piss a few people off :-

I liked the books..didn't love them..liked them...I think Sap's a good character creator,world space imaginer..lore maker,I just don't happen to think he's a very good storyteller.That being said I thought the writers on the game side were excellent and did a fine job on the adaption.It gives me hope,if these standards remain,that the lore is in good hands.in fact i couldn't really care less wether Sap writes another book or not as,for me,the witcher world has moved beyond him.

With the success of W3 and with great world space and lore one would hope the future looks rosy.

Hmm,what to do now? Back to Skyrim? Fallout 4? Rome 2? Try and master that pesky BFlat chord..what to do..

Salut,

Figulus.

saltyB;n3073563 said:
Why do you think that?

Honestly the whole subplot with the Wild Hunt in the books was rather weak and didn't even really had a resolution at the end. That's why CDPR was able to pick it up so easily and do with it whatever they wanted. There are also a lot of people who think the Wild Hunt itself was also rather weak in the game (e.g. Eredin had only 11 sentences), maybe because the reference material wasn't so good in the first place.

However I think the rest of it was rather good, the whole nilfgaardian war and the politics, the personal stories of Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri. That's what mattered for me the most.

Kallelinski;n7385940 said:
Honestly the whole subplot with the Wild Hunt in the books was rather weak and didn't even really had a resolution at the end. That's why CDPR was able to pick it up so easily and do with it whatever they wanted. There are also a lot of people who think the Wild Hunt itself was also rather weak in the game (e.g. Eredin had only 11 sentences), maybe because the reference material wasn't so good in the first place.

However I think the rest of it was rather good, the whole nilfgaardian war and the politics, the personal stories of Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri. That's what mattered for me the most.
Well it may not seem but Wild Hunt arc has a resolution at the end, it's just very hidden (thank you Sapko). When Nimue and Condwiramus are talking about Aen Seidhe disappearing from their world they mention the Gate of the Worlds being opened long time ago by Aen Elle, probably. Then you can read about Eredin telling Cir they will meet in the Spiral, when she'll get there, because she surely will. It's easily to sum the two things into a final result: that Wild Hunt/Eredin finally caught Ciri and they were able to open the Gate. Having introduced the Wild Hunt in flesh and blood into Ciri's storyline too late Sapko had to use Nimue plot tool to explain things which may have required 1 book more if explained word by word.

As for the reference material, about Aen Elle, Tir na Lia and Eredin... speaking of the latter there is enough, even if it consisted of one chapter and half, material to give a more than a decent appearance to Eredin, but can see in the game that was not meant to be after all.

Well in that case, i have to completely agree with you. Maybe not the best plot with the wild hunt, but he definitely knew how to create a big and complex world with a lot of individual characters. And what i really appreciate is that he doesn't only have a white/black point of view in his books. There is always a reason for being "Evil" or bad or whatever...same with being good. That's why Geralt often say's that also Humans can be "Monsters".

Even Ciri could be considered as Evil regarding her time with the Rats, but she had her reasons and her motivations.

Yeah, that was also the more important thing for me. So it's really sad actually that the last book ends with no happy ending to be honest.

Gilthoniel;n7396130 said:
I've scanned Czech hardcover edition of Season of Storms - if you would like to check here is the link:
http://imgur.com/a/Zg1WW
I have the luck to own a copy of this edition, thanks to a fellow forum user here. The drawings are just amazing, even if the new ones give Geralt that dandy look, but we can imagine now why Lytta found at least "one quality" in him, ahaha.

EDIT: oh nice a double post, was used to the old forum's option to merge two recent posts, my bad.

EDIT2: it wasn't a double post after all.

Last edited:
[h=1]The Tower of The Swallow Illustrations by Denis Gordeev :)

all illustrations you can see here: http://imgur.com/a/Xvzqj[/h]

:) Lady of The Lake is finally released in US and UK and here is the very first introduction page in the book:

Geralt a sorcerer - ok... no comment

Guest 3847602

The best summary of book events and characters in history of the internet:

http://bsn.boards.net/post/944299

Posts by pseudo-book readers about the books are like gold.
:smiling2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't kill me for this but are the books overrated? Just a tiny bit? Whenever I see people comment on them, the word "genious" is brought up. Having read them all apart from Season of Storms, they're not that good.

They set up an interesting world, interesting characters and some great moments but something feels like it's missing.

Snake_Foxhounder;n10414022 said:
Please don't kill me for this but are the books overrated? Just a tiny bit? Whenever I see people comment on them, the word "genious" is brought up. Having read them all apart from Season of Storms, they're not that good.

They set up an interesting world, interesting characters and some great moments but something feels like it's missing.

I've read them all and I absolutely love them. I think it's pretty normal that people have different opinions about it. I've heard the English translation isn't that great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom