Noticed something interesting with comic book "Reasons of state" that comes with Witcher 2 EE.

+
Noticed something interesting with comic book "Reasons of state" that comes with Witcher 2 EE.

I don't know if I'm asking at the right place , but I don't know where else to post and I'm curios.
I was checking out the comic and i came across this page
View attachment 7693
Thing is that writings on the signs and paper is in Georgian and I found it kind of weird, so i just wanted to know if someone knew what it was about.

Attachments

• Witchercomic.jpg
    Witchercomic.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 573

Tuchi

Forum veteran
I don't know if I'm asking at the right place , but I don't know where else to post and I'm curios.
I was checking out the comic and i came across this page
View attachment 7693
Thing is that writings on the signs and paper is in Georgian and I found it kind of weird, so i just wanted to know if someone knew what it was about.

the presence of Georgians is the resoult of an event called the conjunction of the spheres happend a long time in the past

Ok ,thanks.I don't know much about world yet, I have only Played games so far and I have just started reading novels.So sorry if this was a stupid question :).

Ok ,thanks.I don't know much about world yet, I have only Played games so far and I have just started reading novels.So sorry if this was a stupid question :).
I don't think it was a stupid question - it's rather a quite interesting info. So (imho) see the answer only as an insider's joke ;)

True...Unless there is some sort of alphabetical "pax glagolicana" in Witcher's world-everyone must use it :D

In any case, the person who claimed it was due to the Conjunction is full of it. Sure, we can speculate along those lines, but there are no solid answers in the books about that event. The actual explanation is probably "Because the people who made the comic thought it looked cool and all Slavic and stuff."

Dwarven and gnomish should be completely different from Elvish script, and all three should be completely different from human scripts (except Nilfgaard, which uses a variant of the Elder Tongue). Especially gnomish, because as far as we know, they're the actual native inhabitants of the Witcher world.

Ok, known scripts so far:

Elven scripts
  • Elder Runes - an ancient runic alphabet on the basis of which First Runes were created. My proposition would have been J.R.R. Tolkien's Angerthas Daeron... if Tolkien Estate had not been defending "their" rights like Scrooge McDuck his money. I'm not sure... It cannot be just one of the Furtharks sice all those 'á', 'é', 'í' in hen llinge...
  • artistic script - better suiting for paper or parchment. Modified Georgian scripts, I'll say. Maybe even containing some ideograms since Avallac'h has used one in "The Swallow's Tower", although it could be part of another script.

Dwarven and gnomic scripts
  • gnomic script - it exist. At least nothing stands in the way... As @Aes Sídhe has said, old Gaelic uncial would be fitting.
  • dwarven ancient runic script - used at least as an inscription on the Zoltan's sihill and Geralt's silver sword (in the "Season of Storms").
  • dwarven ideographic script - this one in turn shall resemble in some cases First Runes since they (First Runes) were created on the basis of it.

Human scripts
  • First Runes - the eldest human alphabet, consisting of 24 characters, based on elven runes and dwarven ideograms. Geralt learned it in the Temple School in Ellander.
  • modern alphabet - replaced First Runes. Since it has no similarities with all other, I suppose it came together with Nordling ships during First (or another one??) Landing. Or was created by some monk, scholar or mage (like Glagolitsa which represents alphabet in the games). Undeniably not Latin - Ciri could not read the letters in French tavern.
  • Nilfgaardian script - anything but Glagolitsa :p
  • Skelliger script - runes?
  • Zerrikanian/Korath/Haak scripts - writing systems from Middle-East, something mongolic/hunnic for Hakland.
  • Ofieri/Zangvebari/Hannuite scripts - erm... Not glagolitsa, indisputably.

Last edited:
Top Bottom