The Ultimate Witcher 4 Thread

+

Do you think there might be The Witcher 4 after Cyberpunk?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

• No response

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back in day I didn't want any kind of continuation of the series. But now...I actually won't say no to a sequel with Ciri as the protagonist. Even though I'm not teribbly fond of her, I'd definitely prefer her over Vesemir and Eskel. She really is the perfect character to continue the series with considering that many storylines connected with her from TW3 were just sort of left hanging. Like the Lodge sublot. Philippa would make a great antagonist. And Avallc'h. What happend to him after the ending? A lot of questions remain unanswered. Also Ciri has her teleportation power, so she can basically travel to anywhere in a few seconds without it being contrived like it often was with Geralt. Besides, by making Ciri the main character the devs can finally do Ciri/Yen relationship (wich was criminally underwhelming in TW3) some justice. So yeah...a total win-win situation for me.

As for the prequel...I don't know. Geralt is not Geralt for me without his supporting cast, so it would have to be set after the events of "The Last Wish", but before "Blood of Elves" wich means many great characters would still be missing. I guess they can do a smaller story like they did with the Hearts of Stone. But I'd much rather see another expansion for the third game or better yet an Enhanced Edition than a prequel game. Really, the only advantage of the prequel for me is that there's a chance we might see Lytta Neyd In flash, but that's pretty much it.

One game with Ciri and Yennefer was more than enough for me, I would prefer playing as a young Vesemir by far. I did not like the "Ciri's story" sections of Witcher 3 either (interestingly, the game only gets worse after she is found, the best parts are before The Isle of Mists and in the expansions), so I cannot imagine how playing as her for an entire game (possibly with sequels) could be good. It would probably also ignore some of the different endings of TW3. I do not think I would even buy a Ciri sequel. Also, I would only want Geralt if he is much younger (by at least 40-50 years), a story in the time frame of the books would be limited by their existing content, especially if it was to offer choices and different paths.

Last edited:
Zyvik;n9333501 said:
Back in day I didn't want any kind of continuation of the series.

I believe in a previous conversation you or someone else mentioned that the games were "Alternative Universe" to the books.

What if CDPR did The Witcher games from the end of the books, but started a new AU? With the books available more widely this time there's no reason not to have Geralt start off with his memory intact.

I just don't see the current Witcher series being pushed further than it is now, it feels like it was concluded on all fronts.

All this being said, if CDPR doesn't want to make another Witcher game then they won't, and probably shouldn't.
There has to be a bit of atrophy working on the sames series for 15 years on end, a strong desire to move on to something bigger and better.

I believe that's why they moved on from TW3 To CP77, ultimately, because while the Witcher served as an excellent backdrop for the previous first and second game, it may be limiting CDPR in areas it would like to push itself further.

What about a standalone Witcher game where you start out as a child, going trough all mutation stuffs and get to play some cool story as a new character of your own?

sv3672;n9333831 said:
One game with Ciri and Yennefer was more than enough for me, I would prefer playing as a young Vesemir by far.

Well, considering that they're the most important characters after Geralt it's kinda crazy that we only had one game with them, while minor character like Triss got three. And in any case they're waaaaaaay more popular than Vesemir (and pretty much any character who's not Geralt or Triss), so like it or not it's much more likely that the sequel with feauture them. A prequel with Vesemir would just feel redundant to me. What's the point of playing a minor character who's fate is already sealed?

sv3672;n9333831 said:
I did not like the "Ciri's story" sections of Witcher 3 either (interestingly, the game only gets worse after she is found, the best parts are before The Isle of Mists and in the expansions)

Agreed. Her parts in the games (and books) are among my least favorites as well. But it doesn't mean you can't do a good story for her. It all depends on the quality of the writing, so i'm not giving up on her just yet. It's just that for me Ciri is the only character whom I'll accept as Geralt's replacement. The series is called "The Witcher" and that means a very specific witcher. Not Vesemir, not Eskel, not Lambert, not anyone else. It's either Geralt or Ciri.

sv3672;n9333831 said:
It would probably also ignore some of the different endings of TW3.

Oh, I defenitely don't want a Ciri game if they'll ignore the endings. No, no, no.

NukeTheMoon;n9334561 said:
What if CDPR did The Witcher games from the end of the books, but started a new AU? With the books available more widely this time there's no reason not to have Geralt start off with his memory intact.

This could work. But a reboot probably won't haveppen in many years from now on. Though maybe that's for the best.

NukeTheMoon;n9334561 said:

They would be retconning all of their previous work in the already released games, it would look bad, and they would probably get some well deserved flak. Besides, would it really be good if Geralt did not lose his memories, in terms of how the story can be written? Anyway, those who want that can simply skip the first two games.

All this being said, if CDPR doesn't want to make another Witcher game then they won't, and probably shouldn't.

That might be the best option in the end, hopefully CP2077 becomes a major success, so they will be more concerned with its sequels than yet another (unneeded) Witcher game.

Zyvik;n9335191 said:
Well, considering that they're the most important characters after Geralt it's kinda crazy that we only had one game with them, while minor character like Triss got three.

I do not see what the problem is there, the games have no obligation to focus on the same characters as the books. Characters not important in the books can become important in the games because of how the story is written, and vice versa, there is nothing wrong with that, it is even good that we do not only get more of the same. And the "three games vs. one" comparison is not fair anyway, it ignores the amount of presence a character has in each game. In reality, there is almost as much Yennefer content in TW3 alone as Triss in all three combined, wanting more of her at all costs is just greedy. Would you say that the games gave Eredin preferential treatment compared to Yennefer, because he appears in two games instead of one? The same applies to Ciri.

Not to mention, The Witcher 3 was written with the intention of wrapping up the main characters' stories, they have a conclusion already. Even if a sequel was made with Ciri, it would make the most sense to give the others only minor "cameo" roles at most, existing content in Wild Hunt tells us that she becomes independent and goes on to her own adventures, while Geralt retires, they would meet only occasionally after the ending.

And in any case they're waaaaaaay more popular than Vesemir (and pretty much any character who's not Geralt or Triss), so like it or not it's much more likely that the sequel with feauture them.

I do not care about popularity, and if that is what is dictating CDPR's decisions first and foremost (rather than actually wanting to make a good game), I am probably not a part of their target audience. Authors need to be creative and sometimes take risks, while the majority of consumers predictably wants more of the same. But the preferences of the crowd are fickle anyway, Vesemir or whoever else could become popular as soon as he is the protagonist. It is not like a Ciri sequel would be universally well received either, from what I have seen, there are mixed opinions on this subject, some people would like it, others outright hate the idea.

A prequel with Vesemir would just feel redundant to me. What's the point of playing a minor character who's fate is already sealed?

No one lives forever, why would it detract from a Vesemir story if you knew he was going to die 100 years later? Plenty of things can happen until that. And dismissing him because of being a "minor character" is circular logic, it implies that no Witcher game could ever be made with a new protagonist, only endless sequels with the same old cast we have seen plenty of already. Obviously, once Vesemir (or Eskel, or anyone else) was made the player's character, their role would no longer be minor, and at least we would get a chance to learn more about them.

Agreed. Her parts in the games (and books) are among my least favorites as well. But it doesn't mean you can't do a good story for her. It all depends on the quality of the writing, so i'm not giving up on her just yet.

CDPR already had their chances to write a good story about Ciri, the Wild Hunt, Avallac'h et al, what is there to say their next attempt would be better? It looks like they are best when they are writing their own stories unrelated to the books or their characters, or when they are just slavishly copying the books without trying to add or change anything in a meaningful way (which is boring and pointless, but the result is of high quality nevertheless). It is when they are trying to finish someone else's work that they keep stumbling, and a Ciri sequel focused on completing already bad plot lines would be exactly that.

It's just that for me Ciri is the only character whom I'll accept as Geralt's replacement. The series is called "The Witcher" and that means a very specific witcher. Not Vesemir, not Eskel, not Lambert, not anyone else. It's either Geralt or Ciri.

Vesemir, Eskel and Lambert are actual witchers with the mutations. Ciri is not, nor is she a particularly interesting character to play as. But if the concept of "The Witcher" is really that inflexible that it would never allow for a main character other than Geralt or Ciri, then perhaps it would be better to move on from making Witcher games. I know they are highly profitable, but when that is the only thing motivating their production, a company calling themselves "rebels" and taking pride in being different from the typical AAA developer may want to look at other franchises. Cyberpunk already looks promising, and unlike in the case of The Witcher, the source material has the advantage of also being an RPG. There are also rumors of a planned new IP in a fantasy setting that is not in the Witcher universe, but that is still a relatively distant future, even CP2077 may take years to finish first. By the way, according to some people on another forum, CDPR considered the possibility of a Ciri game, but the idea was dropped. The information may or may not be reliable, though.

Oh, I defenitely don't want a Ciri game if they'll ignore the endings. No, no, no.

I cannot see what they can do with Ciri's endings, the witcheress one would have to be canonized, or at most the other two would have to be made to lead to her becoming a witcher anyway with some contrived excuses (she does not really die in the bad ending, nor does she become an empress after all, or loses the throne for whatever reason). The others depend on how much effort it takes to make them fit into the story vs. how much CDPR are willing to spend on implementing a save import (which was like 1-2% of the content in the existing games).

Last edited:
Zyvik;n9335191 said:
This could work. But a reboot probably won't haveppen in many years from now on. Though maybe that's for the best.

I suspect once we have CP2077, few people will want to go back to The Witcher.
It would be like having Doom 4 and wanting to go back to Quake 1.

EDIT
Zyvik;n9335191 said:
You know I didn't even think of that, that would technically be a reboot, hence your point it quite apt.
I was simply thinking about a different Alternative Universe, just as with each Spider Game that comes out I don't consider each one in itself a reboot, just a different AU, now that The Witcher books are widely available in English no "amnesia" plot line would be necessary.
Just my musing tho.

Last edited:
I don't want to play CyberPank, it's differently another world, and it's very dark and boring. I want fantasy.
I have one offer for CD Project RED about creating a new game, but first I must make 10 messages for posting a thread.

Vedamir;n9357901 said:
I don't want to play CyberPank, it's differently another world, and it's very dark and boring.

It is a bit early to write off Cyberpunk like that, we do not know much about what the game will be like, but it can reasonably be expected that what The Witcher was good at will generally also be well done in CP2077. Besides, it cannot be much worse than a Ciri sequel. :p

Thanks for this thread, really hope they release a new Witcher game (even if it doesn't involve Geralt or the characters we know from the first three).

I would like to think the next Witcher would be years ahead of Geralt's story equivalent to the 1800s . This way it can bypass the present lore enough that everything is history including what was future lore in the game . This way you could make the world still keeping the flavor but a little more futuristic by comparison . I have a lot of ideas and they would still keep it a witcher but it would open it up for a more open rpg with character creation and such . You could then open it to class type system either way you aren't a witcher yet or a mage . By just going by lore magic and monster were fading . Something happened in the witcherverse that awakened the ancient monsters i.e. the vampire in Tousant which goes without saying many creature would have a similar counterpart with the ability to repopulate the world . I guess you could call the game Witcher Awakening . Using questing to bring mages and witchers back while remaining true to the history . Notes and books you find would be about Geralt , Yen and so on also maybe finding out more of their past or witcher 3 future .

A new game in the distant future (centuries later) does sound like an interesting idea, assuming there are still witchers by then. Not sure if notes about the future of Geralt and co. would be worth it, they would not add much new information compared to what was already told, yet it would not be very easy to write them either with all the different endings taken into account, and disregarding the endings for the sake of a few lines in some hidden book would be unreasonable in my opinion. In the end, it might be best to leave the characters' future to the player's imagination if their story is not officially continued.

By the way, in the presentation about the financial results of CD Projekt in the first half of 2017, the CFO accidentally talked about 100 people currently working on "The Witcher". It is most likely that in fact he referred to GWENT, but maybe the new game is secretly already in preproduction?

sv3672;n9492071 said:
A new game in the distant future (centuries later) does sound like an interesting idea, assuming there are still witchers by then. Not sure if notes about the future of Geralt and co. would be worth it, they would not add much new information compared to what was already told, yet it would not be very easy to write them either with all the different endings taken into account, and disregarding the endings for the sake of a few lines in some hidden book would be unreasonable in my opinion. In the end, it might be best to leave the characters' future to the player's imagination if their story is not officially continued.

By the way, in the presentation about the financial results of CD Projekt in the first half of 2017, the CFO accidentally talked about 100 people currently working on "The Witcher". It is most likely that in fact he referred to GWENT, but maybe the new game is secretly already in preproduction?

I listened to the polish version of the presentation and I'm sorry to disappoint, but it's clear that he was talking about Gwent. Of course, there are still 100 hundred developers who are definitely working on something and based on LinkedIn page it looks like Konrad Tomaszkiewicz and Marcin Blacha, Witcher 3 Game Director and Lead Writer respectively, are involved in that other project, so take it as you will.

Shavod;n9493981 said:
I listened to the polish version of the presentation and I'm sorry to disappoint, but it's clear that he was talking about Gwent. Of course, there are still 100 hundred developers who are definitely working on something and based on LinkedIn page it looks like Konrad Tomaszkiewicz and Marcin Blacha, Witcher 3 Game Director and Lead Writer respectively, are involved in that other project, so take it as you will.

I do find it most likely that he was referring to GWENT, as I noted, but thought this bit might be worth mentioning anyway. Whatever that other game is, I guess it will be revealed once it moves on to the production phase. Edit: it seems to have been clarified that he was indeed talking about GWENT (source).

Last edited:
Top Bottom