The Witcher 3 patch for PS4 and PS4 Pro is out!

+

Looks shite. That taking only two steps forward

Tree pops in in front of ugly white trees in distance. It gets worse when you run especially in dense areas.

Last edited:
It's difficult to judge an 4K picture on a 1080p Monitor.

If you look those pictures on a 1080p Monitor like mine, they look almost as good as the pictures i have shot myself.

If you examine the pictures on it's full 4K resolution, the first picture looks a bit soft, and the second one, well... should i say washed out a bit? lol

Depth seems to be lacking on the Castle, and the Trees are looking awful too.:p

Well, obviously that's the best that CDPR could do with the available reserves of the PS4 pro, trying to find a balance between visuals and performance. ;)

On the last two pictures, trees seems to be missing and then suddenly re-appear again depending the distance of those trees in relation to Geralt's movement.

Last edited:
mark5916;n10820611 said:
It's difficult to judge an 4K picture on a 1080p Monitor.

If you look those pictures on a 1080p Monitor like mine, they look almost as good as the pictures i have shot myself.

If you examine the pictures on it's full 4K resolution, the first picture looks a bit soft, and the second one, well... should i say washed out a bit? lol

Depth seems to be lacking on the Castle, and the Trees are looking awful too.:p

Well, obviously that's the best that CDPR could do with the available reserves of the PS4 pro, trying to find a balance between visuals and performance. ;)

On the last two pictures, trees seems to be missing and then suddenly re-appear again depending the distance of those trees in relation to Geralt's movement.

Yeah it abit hard to tell ik, my laptop has a 4k screen so i cant really tell or quite explain so well. The sun in my game is super bright and my shadows are dark, so i was messing with the tv pic settings so that's why the one pic looks as you said looks "washed out" lol, but it was more to show the draw distance and foliage pop ins.

I think its abit bad though I'm playing Kingdom Come Deliverance atm (ik its not the best example cause of its issues) but there foliage in the dense forest is way better with hardly very noticeable pop ins. I never had this issue when playing the game on my regular ps4. I never really had this issue on the pro when it was on patch version 1.31. I hooked the old ps4 up to my older HD tv about a half hour back and the regular ps4 seems to perform way better than the pro version on 4k tv. They should have just left it where it was on version 1.31 lol. No 4k update no HDR. It looked awesome running on the pro on a 4k tv with ps4 pro boost mode on. sigh*

The upside is like I said in an above post my GOTY edition is on patch version 1.31 out the box, so as long as I don't update it, it at the best sweet spot. Problem is my main play though was on the regular edition (all my saves gear new game+ etc.) and the saves are not compatible with the GOTY version.

It means having to replay and do everything all over again.

Last edited:
Potestaquisitor;n10820761 said:
Yeah it abit hard to tell ik, my laptop has a 4k screen so i cant really tell or quite explain so well. The sun in my game is super bright and my shadows are dark, so i was messing with the tv pic settings so that's why the one pic looks as you said looks "washed out" lol, but it was more to show the draw distance and foliage pop ins.

I think its abit bad though I'm playing Kingdom Come Deliverance atm (ik its not the best example cause of its issues) but there foliage in the dense forest is way better with hardly very noticeable pop ins. I never had this issue when playing the game on my regular ps4. I never really had this issue on the pro when it was on patch version 1.31. I hooked the old ps4 up to my older HD tv about a half hour back and the regular ps4 seems to perform way better than the pro version on 4k tv. They should have just left it where it was on version 1.31 lol. No 4k update no HDR. It looked awesome running on the pro on a 4k tv with ps4 pro boost mode on. sigh*

The upside is like I said in an above post my GOTY edition is on patch version 1.31 out the box, so as long as I don't update it, it at the best sweet spot. Problem is my main play though was on the regular edition (all my saves gear new game+ etc.) and the saves are not compatible with the GOTY version.

It means having to replay and do everything all over again.

>Problem is my main play though was on the regular edition (all my saves gear new game+ etc.) and the saves are not compatible with the GOTY version.

Yeah, that's a problem, as the saves are treated by systems as separate products. But as CDPR has stated a long time ago, that's not their fault.

However, i don't know if you are in a mood for playing the game over again. lol.

Keep in mind i finished the game already once (bless GOD. lol) and the first expansion and was half way on the second expansion.

However, as i have a bad (?!?) habit for taking pictures, i started over, because (to be honest) i was impressed from the picture quality of the 1.5 patch (yeah, no kidding).

Now, for better or worse, patch 1.5 is no more...

Saying about pictures, i will try to make some screen shots (have started with that already anyway) with the patch 1.6 and SS enabled.

So far, picture quality looks really good to be honest.

If the game engine can keep up with the load of the SS feature, and you don't get the same disastrous performance at instances as it was with the 1.5 patch, then i think we have a winner here...

Have you bothered to take a look at the videos i posted here?

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...o-is-out/page6

<post 80>

and in particular this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xdl...ature=youtu.be

<that was taken without SS>

...and you could take a look a mini fight on the swamps with SS enabled down below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmJ...ature=youtu.be

The torch is lit on purpose for "benchmarking" the performance of the game ;)

I will update my lauch disc version of the game to 1.60 and do some more tests, since I have both disc editions of the game. This way I can do a few more tests without dealing with the hassle of unistalling/ installing the game.

Let´s see what happens.

Mark, I can´t open your youtube videos. I tried on 3 devices. Did you get to Novigrad?

GaiusCylon;n10830621 said:
Any official cdprojektred feedback?
Did they give up? broke the game and left?

They said they are aware of the problem and the "development team is investigating how to address it."

So hopefully fixed in an upcoming patch. Best option is to wait a few months until they fix it. I don't think it will be fixed in the next couple of weeks, it will take longer. Most likely they have a smaller team working on it. Cyberpunk 2077 is the primary focus. Its really unfortunate that the new update has this huge problem but it sure beats hourly crashes. I suggest you play other games in the meantime. Me personally, I'm going to play other games and when they release a patch to fix the problems, I will come back to Witcher 3.

But I still will be checking these forums daily, waiting for an update! :D

Edumiguel;n10829491 said:
I will update my lauch disc version of the game to 1.60 and do some more tests, since I have both disc editions of the game. This way I can do a few more tests without dealing with the hassle of unistalling/ installing the game.

Let´s see what happens.

Mark, I can´t open your youtube videos. I tried on 3 devices. Did you get to Novigrad?

>Mark, I can´t open your youtube videos. I tried on 3 devices. Did you get to Novigrad?

I don't know man. Hmm, that's very unfortunate.

Try if you can get them to work from that link below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd-...rfB394w/videos

I abandoned my walk through on the 1.6 patch.

Because at Velen my Console fan got run at full speed every couple of minutes, and it may related to the SS enabled feature of the PS4.

Playing without the SS, what difference would that make vs the 1.30 patch?

So, i deleted the game and re-installed it again with the 1.30 patch.

btw, Novigrad with the 1.60 patch seems OK. I couldn't test it with rain, because surprisingly i couldn't get the RNG system to work.

I tried different day or night hours, nada. lol

Last edited:
mark5916;n10830801 said:
Because at Velen my Console fan got run at full speed every couple of minutes, and it may related to the SS enabled feature of the PS4.

In your experience is the fan louder on 1.60 than on 1.30? Or it is the same? The fan for me is extremely loud on 1.50 and also on 1.60. Especially in Novigrad and Crow's Perch. Fans go crazy during dialogue sequences.

TrishKrish;n10830831 said:
In your experience is the fan louder on 1.60 than on 1.30? Or it is the same? The fan for me is extremely loud on 1.50 and also on 1.60. Especially in Novigrad and Crow's Perch. Fans go crazy during dialogue sequences.

>The fan for me is extremely loud on 1.50 and also on 1.60

Well, i would't say extreme loud, but it runs faster. You can hear it clearly!

And yes, i got the same experiences with the patch 1.60. In White Orchard, almost everything was smooth sailing with the 1.60 patch.

I was very pleased actually. After i got to Velen, at first i got to a boat, to make a shortcut for getting to Novigrad quick.

Everything went fine.

Novigrad was nice. It wasn't raining (unfortunately lol) and Geralt was a breeze τo play with.

Outside of Novigrad everything started to falling apart.

Every 1 minute, the console fan kicked in without any particular reason. You stood still, fan start's to run and after 1 minute it did go down.

You walked hundred of meters, and the fun speed starts again. WTH?

>Fans go crazy during dialogue sequences.

Also true! Something that shouldn't be happening.

------------

Should i ask you a question?

What happens with the fan noise, if you don't play with SS enabled?

Have you tried it out?

Thanks!

mark5916;n10830961 said:
Every 1 minute, the console fan kicked in without any particular reason. You stood still, fan start's to run and after 1 minute it did go down.

You walked hundred of meters, and the fun speed starts again. WTH?

------------

What happens with the fan noise, if you don't play with SS enabled?

Have you tried it out?

Thanks!

It's so weird that the fan noise/speed goes randomly up and down, I wish it stayed at a consistent speed while not being too loud.

To answer your question, I never even checked the SS setting. I play on a 4K monitor so it doesn't have any effect at all. In the reply from CDPR, they recommended to lower the resolution from 4K, so I assume it makes a difference. From what I understand SS makes the console render the game in 4K and downscales it to 1080p? So it would be the same performance as 4K? In theory the fan noise playing the game with SS should be the same as 4K correct? This weekend, I will test out the game in 1080p with and without SS and see how loud the fan noise is and if the draw distance is fixed.

In your experience do you notice more fan noise with SS on?

TrishKrish;n10831041 said:
It's so weird that the fan noise/speed goes randomly up and down, I wish it stayed at a consistent speed while not being too loud.

To answer your question, I never even checked the SS setting. I play on a 4K monitor so it doesn't have any effect at all. In the reply from CDPR, they recommended to lower the resolution from 4K, so I assume it makes a difference. From what I understand SS makes the console render the game in 4K and downscales it to 1080p? So it would be the same performance as 4K? In theory the fan noise playing the game with SS should be the same as 4K correct? This weekend, I will test out the game in 1080p with and without SS and see how loud the fan noise is and if the draw distance is fixed.

In your experience do you notice more fan noise with SS on?

>From what I understand SS makes the console render the game in 4K and downscales it to 1080p? So it would be the same performance as 4K?

On a 1080p Monitor or TV, it tries to trick out the game that you own a Monitor that has a greater resolution than 1080p.

What happens next is this.

The game believes you have an 4K screen and then the game will output at the maximum resolution, and the PS4 Pro shrinks that resolution down (downscaling) to 1080p to fit the resolution of your Monitor.

Doing that, the process produces a beautiful anti-aliased picture as an end result. The image quality is clear, jagged edges are smoothed out, more detail can be seen in some cases, and normally flickering should be reduced too.

>In theory the fan noise playing the game with SS should be the same as 4K correct?

I don't know if the load of the Console is the same on a native 4K output (even with checker boarding technique) vs an down scaled 4K image to 1080p through SS.

Last edited:
Yesterday I tried Speedrun PS4 pro no as and can't do game crashed every time I try! I never have so many craches before! AND note I have played 8 Playthrough with my PS4! It's a very sad! I loved game way better when there was some fps drops in Novigrad game was more beautiful and then I got Boost mode so no fps drops! But now they working so much for stable fps that quality has like downgraded! And I have 55 LG 1080p TV no HDR and colors are so odd! I love this company this is why this is so sad

immessingaround;n10832111 said:
A poster on resetera did some investigating and came to the conclusion CDPR pretty much shortchanged us on the HDR implementation for ps4 users: https://www.resetera.com/posts/6639251/

Not sure if he is correct but if he/she is, then can anyone here at CDPR explain what this person is talking about?

Yes this is true, I also did a comparison before - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...1#post10800661

It works on Xbox One X so PS4 version is crippled, maybe by purpose. HDR is not working but it's hard to tell if that one person that was making a patch was incompetent or they lied.

Couple of months for hotfix I suppose. They were fixing inventory crash bug for 6 months

@TrishKrish Considering how long it took for simple patch I suppose that "small development team" consists of 1 person who is lacking time anyway.

Last edited:
GodlikeRU They lied, thats the corret answer.If they were honest the game had a working hdr patch in max 2 months. After i've seen that post from resetera i got the answer to my question: why are they no hdr calibration settings? Lol coz hdr is not present. Now we have to wait another 6+ months coz they probably found some more bugs that need to be fixed lmao. Im done with them, never gonna buy something from them again, they dont give a .... about ps4 users.

vaivoogre;n10832341 said:
Yesterday I tried Speedrun PS4 pro no as and can't do game crashed every time I try! I never have so many craches before! AND note I have played 8 Playthrough with my PS4! It's a very sad! I loved game way better when there was some fps drops in Novigrad game was more beautiful and then I got Boost mode so no fps drops! But now they working so much for stable fps that quality has like downgraded! And I have 55 LG 1080p TV no HDR and colors are so odd! I love this company this is why this is so sad

Are you having crashes with the 1.60 patch?

That's weird.

immessingaround;n10832111 said:
A poster on resetera did some investigating and came to the conclusion CDPR pretty much shortchanged us on the HDR implementation for ps4 users: https://www.resetera.com/posts/6639251/

Not sure if he is correct but if he/she is, then can anyone here at CDPR explain what this person is talking about?

I don't know if the Monitor of that guy is properly calibrated, but The Witcher 3 normally doesn't look that dull with HDR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtJz...has_verified=1

----------

Further Monitor tuning may be needed for warmer colors!

Witcher 3: Blood and Wine - HDR gameplay [PS4 Pro]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb63ThY4UEA

[4K HDR] The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine on Xbox One X Analysis!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4495CBm_pw

Last edited:
Top Bottom