How the Books affected the decisions in Witcher 3?

+
How the Books affected the decisions in Witcher 3?

How did reading the books affected your decisions when you replayed the game?

What will I change ? Bassically every decission I made in my first playthrough :facepalm:

1) Gerald chooses Yen, not because she is better for him (in my opinion Books Fringilla and W3 Triss would be better) but because I have no doubt this is what Books Gerald would choose. This is the only choice I already reached in the second playthrough and I already miss Triss, but this is how it should be.
2) I will go with Dijkstra. I'm really sorry for Roche and Ves, but after reading how Nilfgaardians are waging war, I wouldn't want that to happen to the rest of Northern Kingdoms. This guys were brutal.
3) I will chose either the witcher ending or the dying ending for Ciri, I really dislike her after reading the books. I don't know when she dies if she also manages to save the world. If the answer is yes this will be the perfect ending for me (sacrificing herself to atone for her crimes). If not I guess the witcher path is for her.

BTW, I know is a W2 choice, but I'm really happy for siding with Roche against the Scoiatel. Those guys are even bigger assholes than the nilfgaardians in the books.

Guest 3847602

It definitely did affect my playstyle, but not too drastically, I think.
My Geralt ended up with Yennefer in each of my 10 playthroughs simply because I don't like "TW3 Triss". At all. Since there is nobody else, Yennefer it is.
I've never let Nilfgaardians win the war, but the books can't take all the credits here either, TW2 did more than enough already in this regard. I broke Dijkstra's leg in all but one of my playthroughs, so I prefer the ending where Radovid wins, Emhyr dies, and Dijkstra, Roche and Ves survive.
Since the Empress ending is unavailable for me, I go for the Witcheress because I feel Geralt would make at least 3 of those choices that leads to happy ending. The only "mistake" that I could realistically see him making is going with Ciri to see Philippa and Margarita.
So, me reading the books mostly influenced the fate of Ciri. ;)

I think the only choose the books effected for me is the Radovid, Ehmyr, Dijkstra choice. In my head canon, Radovid probably ought to be the choice given all that has happened both in the books and the games ... i.e. I don't think Geralt would really get too involved. I've played both Nilfgaard and Radovid endings, and they're both fine mostly ... but Radovid is probably the choose ... although I did pick Nilfgaard in my most recent The Wild Hunt game. Only choice from that playthrough I regret making now. Not that I regret the Nilfgaard wins ending ... but it seems less authentic to Geralt.

Last edited:
Well, I already knew the books before playing, so I cannot say how I would react without the books. But nevertheless I still go for the point: See the games independent from the books. Cause the games are only a (good) "fanfic" sequel.
But yeah: always go for Yennefer. Yennefer is the one and only for Geralt (okay, it would be difficult if you had the chance to "fully" romance Shani ;) ) Cause I can't stand Triss in any of the games. I still can't understand why so many gamers like her.
Made a lot of playthroughs but most of the time Nilfgaard wins so I can choose the Ciri empress ending. I think that's the best ending in my opinion :)

Books didn't have any effect in my games. I just wanted to test all possible options in the game, so every time I made different choices for the sake of exploring. I have completed the game several times and I sill haven't seen everything, so my mission continues :D

Top Bottom