The Witcher 2 ?

+
The Witcher 2 ?

I got into the series late and was wondering after Playing through The Witcher 3 1 time if get the 2nd one would be worth it. Its an older game im not sure any thoughts ? This game was so amazing im completely hooked. I heard there is even books written which i am also curious about any sugestions ?

Guest 3847602

I'd say absolutely YES, just keep in mind what to expect from TW2:
- It's not the open world, instead the game is segregated into 4 chapters, each chapter being in a different zone
- depending on your decision in chapter 1 you'll get thoroughly different chapter 2
- compared to its successor TW2 is darker and grittier game, with emphasis on morally grey characters and decisions
- story is tightly-paced and focused on high politics and racial tensions instead of being Geralt's personal story (like TW3 is)
- combat feels clunkier than the one in TW3, also beware of quick time events on some occasions
- event though it's a 6 years old game TW2 still looks gorgeous by today's standards (on PC, at least)
- there is no Gwent but dice poker

Oh, and get the books if you can, they are a great read on their own, plus TW3 is full of book references.

If you do not mind dated graphics and somewhat unusual style of combat, it is also recommended to play the first game.

Thread moved.

Assassins of Kings has a fine story, with memorable characters, and engaging locations. The combat system can be frustrating at times, and there is a rather steep learning curve at the start; however, overall, it's an enjoyable game. As noted above, the graphics will seem a bit dated in places (particularity the facial animations), but it's still a visually attractive game. I recommend it.

ooodrin;n8883380 said:
I'd say absolutely
- depending on your decision in chapter 1 you'll get thoroughly different chapter 2
- compared to its successor TW2 is darker and grittier game, with emphasis on morally grey characters and decisions
- story is tightly-paced and focused on high politics and racial tensions instead of being Geralt's personal story (like TW3 is)

You just described what TW3 should have been...

Guest 3847602

Sam2305;n9049870 said:
You just described what TW3 should have been...

Maybe... Maybe not... They said pretty early that the branching paths will not make a comeback in TW3, so I didn't have expectations to be disappointed about that.
"Political" vs "personal" story has been discussed to death and the only certainty is - it's a matter of taste. I like both, but prefer "personal" by a fair margin.
Darkness, grittiness and moral ambiguity is something that TW3 main quest lacked but sidequests and especially HoS did great in that department as far as I'm concerned.
TW3 could have been many different things but they would never be able to satisfy everyone everytime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I continued playing W2 for months after I started W3. I'm oriented towards the environment like exploration of cities, villages, landscapes, caves and other areas. I was awed by the visuals of W2 but finally I broke away from it and now W3 is the only one of the series in which I spend my time. The memories though..going back to W1 and 2.

Elkatarus;n9897291 said:
I continued playing W2 for months after I started W3. I'm oriented towards the environment like exploration of cities, villages, landscapes, caves and other areas. I was awed by the visuals of W2 but finally I broke away from it and now W3 is the only one of the series in which I spend my time. The memories though..going back to W1 and 2.

Indeed, as good as the first two games are, they do feel somewhat outdated after you get used to playing TW3. Unlikely as it is, it would be great if quality remakes of them were made someday, even this mod of the prologue of TW1 redone with the limited tools available for Wild Hunt is quite impressive.

As for me, witcher 2 is the better Witcher 3. After completing W2 a couple of days ago I started W3 again. From my point of view W3 graphics is insignifcant better thand W2 graphics. Meanwhile W3 provides less uniqueness.

Nevertheless W3 plot and characters appear much more interesting after knowing W1 and W2 plot.

dermitri;n10344782 said:
As for me, witcher 2 is the better Witcher 3. After completing W2 a couple of days ago I started W3 again. From my point of view W3 graphics is insignifcant better thand W2 graphics. Meanwhile W3 provides less uniqueness.

Nevertheless W3 plot and characters appear much more interesting after knowing W1 and W2 plot.

And I thought I am the only one who thinks like this :)
I also like TW2 way more than TW3. TW3 is an amazing game, no question. But TW2 is all in all the better one... even if I miss Yennefer like hell in this game ;)

I would absolutely recommend W2. One of the best games I've played for sure. And IMO the graphics still look awesome in 4k @ 60fps even though the game is like 6-7 years old.

Top Bottom