How do I edit Witcher 2 xbm textures?

+
How do I edit Witcher 2 xbm textures?

Hi everyone, I want to make some texture mods but I'm stuck on how I would go about converting Witcher XBMs to something most tools can work with like DDS.

I've downloaded and installed Red Tools but it doesn't seem like there are any utilities in RT for converting XBMs. I've also came across some really old forum posting from 5 years ago saying there's a tool called QuickBMS which uses user written scripts to convert all sorts of obscure formats including Witcher 2 xbms. The problem is that I can't get my hands on the scripts needed for W2 xbms. All the links are dead. I'm seeing a ton of texture mods still being developed on Nexus Mods and CDPR forums for Witcher 2, so people must have found a way.

Can someone please give me some guidance (or, if you have those quickbms scripts, could you please post them).

Thanks so much!

Hello,

Another method would be, using the modding tools of The Witcher 3, because they use same file formats and it's also used for changing the xbm file to another format. There are some tutorials about extracting on youtube, or elsewhere. You could use these tools for changing the formats and maybe also for uncooking and cooking, or just use the old red tools for this process.

I found a .xbm .dds converter in the worldofplayers forum in the german section. There are two downloads for changing file formats. I tried the first one and it worked, but I don't now how and I did not figure out how to change the file format back into dds. The second download has also a text with english description, maybe it will be helpful. The files are found in the first post of this thread under the title "XBM Converter to DDS" ( the first download) and "Anleitung zum modden" (the second download). The link: I am not sure, if I understood the question in the right way, but you could use the Red Kit to do this Job.
First you have to download an install it, start the red kit , after that you have to open the asset browser in your Red Kit and search the texture you're searching for. Manny of the NPC and Player textures are in the characters folder.
The alternative is to search for a certain texture with the asset browser search you have to use CBitmapTexture as a filter, if not you will also serach for other stuff like meshes or templates.
When you've found your texture you have to right klick it and klick export asset (in the asset browser window). If you don't see export asset as an option than the texture is not loaded in the Red Kit. You must either right klick and then klick load from disk or double klick it, close the window and after this process the shoud see the esport asset line. If you click export asset, a window opens, in which you can define the place where you like the file and which file format you like .dds or .tga for example. Save the texture file.
Edit the texture file and then use the Red Kit again to import the file. You have to right klick in the asset browser window and go to import and then 2D Texture. Then a window opens, in which you search for you file, you've found it, klick ok. Then you are asked as which sort of texture you would like to save it in the Red Kit. It is not important you can just klick ok.
( OPTIONAL: You could choose other options as Worlddifuse. When you browse the texturefiles in red kit you see that there are different texture gruops used. I don't know if it efects something but if you want to bee consistent you can use also the texture grups of the original textures.)
Now you're file is changed into xbm format.

(Explantion after this point: realy unprecise explanation of modding with the red tools )
If you want to use it in the main game you have to search the new or changed . xbm file in your data folder of the Witcher wild hunt folder (not sure where to find it on steam versions????). Then you have to uncook the pack0.dzip file found in the cookedPc folder and paste your changed .xbm file into the right folder (texture has to replace the other, must have the same name) and then cook the pack0.dzip file again.
(for more precise instructions on how to mod with Red Tools (for The witcher 2) search for tutorials on youtube or elsewhere).
To make you search in the data folder easier You could make a new folder and import the texture into this particular folder. Please make sure that you've created the folder in the Red Kit or before you started it, otherwise you wont find the folder in the Red Kit asset browser.

Sorry, for not taking intrest of writing perfect English, and sorry for this messy post, hope I helped you al little bit.
Best regards Nemo

Attachments

• export, import with red kit_01.JPG
    export, import with red kit_01.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 581
  • export, import with red kit_02.JPG
    export, import with red kit_02.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 541
  • export, import with red kit_03.JPG
    export, import with red kit_03.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 461
  • export, import with red kit_04.JPG
    export, import with red kit_04.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Convert .XBM extension

Hi!

I have spent 2 hours for searching web how to convert .xbm files (to .dds or other that i could modify) and can't see an answer that'd work for me. I heard aobut Witcher 2 Texture Converter, but every links i saw is expired. Found also on german site a converter, but it doesn't work. Also, can't use QuckBMS, because i don't have any .bms file for w2. I installed Redkit using GOG, but after completing, i don't see any files and can't start the program. Tried a witcher 3 mod tools, but these doesn't work, too.

So the question is: How to convert .xbm extension to e.g .dds or .tga?

PS: After extracting pack0.dzip, I have only .xbm files for characters (there's no .w2ent and .w2mesh), is it how it supposed to be or there should be other files?

devivre;n9662371 said:
I don't know much about that but I found this old thread here.

Here is also a link to this website.
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum...s-Sammelthread

And there's a download link that still seems to work (but no idea if it's the right program)

P.S. XarooN -> threads merged

Yeah, that's the german site a said about and it doesn't work for me. I mean i can't do anything with this program, maybe i don't understand what should i do, because there's nothing i could write in.

ReadMe says:
Usage:

tw2unxbm.exe [path|file.xbm]

But it means nothing to me. tw.2unxbm.exe shows a Windows cmd with "[done]" and only what i can do is click enter to close the window.

I read this thread before writing for help, I thought new will be a better idea, but thanks.

XarooN;n9662691 said:
But it means nothing to me. tw.2unxbm.exe shows a Windows cmd with "[done]" and only what i can do is click enter to close the window.

You need to run cmd first, and then type the command there with the correct paths to tw2unxbm.exe and the .xbm file. By the way, to extract (but not convert) all files from pack0.dzip, you can also use my tool from here, but it is also a command line program.

sv3672;n9679461 said:
You need to run cmd first, and then type the command there with the correct paths to tw2unxbm.exe and the .xbm file. By the way, to extract (but not convert) all files from pack0.dzip, you can also use my tool from here, but it is also a command line program.

Thank you for reply, it works now ;)

So, by your tool i'll get also meshes? Because i have extracted pack0.dzip, but there's no meshes for characters.

Last edited:
XarooN;n9679941 said:
So, by your tool i'll get also meshes? Because i have extracted pack0.dzip, but there's no meshes for characters.

It can extract the w2mesh files, but cannot convert or modify them.

XarooN;n9680081 said:
Could you also tell me how it works or tell me if there's any instructions?

To extract everything from pack0.dzip (this will take up a lot of space), use a command like this:

w3unpack -u pack0.dzip output_path

"output_path" is wherever the files will be written to, of course the paths to w3unpack.exe and pack0.dzip need to be correct, too. If instead of pack0.dzip you specify the path to the Witcher 2 installation, the program will process all .dzip files it finds there. To limit the list of extracted files to those that have .w2mesh extension, the command needs to be changed as follows:

w3unpack -u -s .w2mesh pack0.dzip output_path

It is also possible to extract only paths that contain a given sub-string, this example will find everything that includes "dwarf" and has .w2mesh extension:

w3unpack -u -i dwarf -s .w2mesh pack0.dzip output_path

sv3672;n9680331 said:
To extract everything from pack0.dzip (this will take up a lot of space), use a command like this:

w3unpack -u pack0.dzip output_path

"output_path" is wherever the files will be written to, of course the paths to w3unpack.exe and pack0.dzip need to be correct, too. If instead of pack0.dzip you specify the path to the Witcher 2 installation, the program will process all .dzip files it finds there. To limit the list of extracted files to those that have .w2mesh extension, the command needs to be changed as follows:

w3unpack -u -s .w2mesh pack0.dzip output_path

It is also possible to extract only paths that contain a given sub-string, this example will find everything that includes "dwarf" and has .w2mesh extension:

w3unpack -u -i dwarf -s .w2mesh pack0.dzip output_path

Maybe You could think i'm dumb, but.. where? w3unpack.exe doesn't open (i mean, it automatically turns off, but I can take a printscreen).

XarooN;n9681311 said:
Maybe You could think i'm dumb, but.. where? w3unpack.exe doesn't open (i mean, it automatically turns off, but I can take a printscreen).

What command did you type exactly? It looks like there is a missing file name or path.

XarooN;n9681641 said:
I have not typed anything, when I open this file it's just turn on and turn off in a second.

Similarly to tw2unxbm.exe, w3unpack needs to be run in cmd, by typing or pasting a command like shown above (some typing can be saved by using the Tab key to auto-complete partially entered paths). If started without arguments, it just prints the usage and quits.

sv3672;n9681681 said:
Similarly to tw2unxbm.exe, w3unpack needs to be run in cmd, by typing or pasting a command like shown above (some typing can be saved by using the Tab key to auto-complete partially entered paths). If started without arguments, it just prints the usage and quits.

Okay, thank you, everything is fine now :D

Top Bottom