Which King?- Spoiler

+
Which King?- Spoiler

Which king or important person do you believe will be a good defender of the Northern kingdoms in the upcoming war with nilfgaard?

Radovid is a good politician but has no experience waging a war.

Henselt on the other hand...well he has waged wars for decades and he was at Brenna fighting. I say Henselt from a military perspective and Radovid from a political one. Not saying they are incompetent at either military or political tasks but just who is better at one or another.

Saskia and Natalis are good military leaders while very very bad politicians.

The premier war leaders in the North are Henselt, John Natalis, and Iorveth.

I think we can rule out Iorveth coming to the aid of the kingdoms; if Upper Aedirn is still in dispute, Iorveth and Saskia will lead a guerrilla war there and make life miserable for at least one of the remaining powers.

I don't trust Henselt any further than I could throw him, which wouldn't be very far at all. Although he's an able commander with considerable resources (even though depleted, and the Dun Banner will be sorely missed), he's also the most likely to sell out, if he hasn't already.

John Natalis's position is, unfortunately, precarious. He still commands a considerable power, but how long it will remain together is an open question. The money to pay and equip an army has to come from somewhere, and he is already heavily in debt. The Temerian nobles will render no aid; they will demand too much for empty promises. I think he has to fight for a quick victory or a miracle. If anybody could pull it off, he could, but his task may be impossible.

Radovid is a cunning little pup, but has not the battle experience to promote confidence in him. But he reminds me a lot of Henry VII, and Henry turned out to be both an able commander and a ruthless politician who could destroy his enemies without having to lead an army against them. He has two of the strongest armies: his own, and the Order of the Flaming Rose, at his command. So he is to be reckoned with irrespective of his lack of field command experience.

Siegfried might be a damn fine warleader for Radovid and the order, but i'd have to go with Natalis as his actions are going to decide the future course of the war when the northern kingdoms first meet Nilfgaard.

I forgot to put in the poll the witchers, I think they will have an important role, despite of his neutrality, especially Geralt. Lambert and Eskel probably will help and Letho mentioned two wichers beside Serrit and Auckes althought we don't know if they will be with the emperor or are neutral.

To paraphrase Letho, witchers shouldn't be playing soldier boy. It's not their way. Even though Geralt gets sucked into intrigues and wars, he has nothing but contempt for them.

The mercenaries, though, are cats of a different breed. Assuming Adam Pangratt survives TW2, I'd expect to see him and the Free Company where the fighting is the heaviest and the pay is the highest.

Probably the valley of flower and Francesca Findabair will have an influence in the upcoming war

Radovid. His political cunning and his relatively more diplomatic demeanor (Radovid is more likely to entice nobles than Henselt, who says that Foltest of all people spoiled them) would be invaluable and as mentioned before, he leads two powerful armies (his own and the Order). Furthermore, his rather bold act in TW1 of going to Vizima with little to no protection shows to me that he is brave and that determined to get things done. While he is young and inexperienced, that does not necessarily mean that he won't be able to lead in a war, indeed many young leaders with no previous experience proved to be excellent military leaders. And in any case, Radovid does not need to personally conduct the war.

But above all, Radovid is more likely to enact military reforms than Henselt. Even when Vergen is defeated, Radovid shows a certain amount of respect to peasants fighting till the end and says that the knighthood is in danger of being replaced. That to me show that he might want to create a more professional mass conscripted army than rely primarily or in large part on knights. In addition, Radovid does not seem to harbor any hatred towards nonhumans and I think they, especially dwarves, would also be invaluable to the war effort. Henselt on the otherhand will have a hard time attracting nonhumans to his side.

Natalis is a good military commander but seems to be, on his own admittance, a poor leader overall so I would not trust him to be able to defeat Nilfgaard without a leader above him (most likely Radovid).

I'd say Natalis or Radovid, but in truth I believe Yarpen Zigrin is gonna take Nilfgard on on his own and kick the shit outta them.

As the past shows, a single king isn't strong enough to beat Nilfgaard. I think only a new alliance is strong enough to win the war.
Radovid is a good an reliable king, Natalis is an experienced commander and Temeria and Redania cooperated well in the past but now it depends on many factors.
If you have brought Anais to Radovid, how Temeria will react? Will Temeria shatter because of an civil war or get its old strength to compete with Redania or will it become a protectorate.
How will Redania react if you have brought Anais to Roche? Also Kaedwen is a main factor influencing the future, when Henselt is dead Saskia could form an strong, independent state but what happens with Keadwen.

So i think the future of the northern kingdoms is influenced by many factors, most of them depending on your own decisions.

No king is a protector of the northern kingdoms since all of them will take advantage of a war only to conquer more lands . None of them care for the fate of their neighbors.

Defender of the Northern Kingdoms? John Natalis has the most experience and success.
Leader/uniter of the Northern Kingdoms? Radovid probably has the best shot for the duration of a war. They won't stay united, of course, but no one expects them to.

I agree with KnightofPhoenix completley. Radovid is the best hope for the North right now. Henselt is powerful, but arrogant and can't play his cards as good as Radovid can.

John Natalis would be a good general, and so would Saskia. Both of them together would be invaluable assets. Iorveth I don't see doing much. Though I think he'd die for Saskia, and so would help if she asked.

Roche... suprised no one has mentioned him. I think Roche would have to infiltrate Nilfgaardian ranks. Though his part in this war is questionable now that his country isn't there anymore.

As much as I'd like to see the BioWare magic of unity happening in the North... I doubt it very much. The Scoi'atle would look after their own. Saskia too. I think it's just Radovid who'll be fighting this war, and maybe Henselt too... though I don't see him giving much support.

Saskia because of her x-factor. She is supposedly a splendid commander and has this mythological hype and aura around her. She just needs help with handling the political intriges around her. If I was geralt I would try to get Thaler to work for her.

Teamsleeper said:
No king is a protector of the northern kingdoms since all of them will take advantage of a war only to conquer more lands . None of them care for the fate of their neighbors.

Saskia is driven by other motivations.

Queen Saskia of Vergen will make the Pontar Valley into a bastion of hope. A vanguard against Nilfgaard's advance, she can utilize her superpower stealthily to brutalize the Nilfgaardians. They have nothing to combat a dragon.

I believe that it will matter more if you rescued Triss & therefore the council/conclave remains intact. If the northern kingdoms have hunted down & killed most of the sorcerers/esses they will have nothing to counter Nilfgaard's magic. As much as they are loathe to admit it, w/o council they are as good as conquered. So Henselt and Radovid are both arrogant short-sighted fools, imo. And they will need Saskia and the Pontar Valley (including the Scoia'Tel) to help them.

Henselt has more experience waging wars than anyone else, but he is not a very good politician. If Henselt were the one in charge of uniting the Northern Kingdoms in a final stand against Nilfgaard like Foltest did at Brenna, his arrogance alone would cause the proudest nobles to defect to Nilfgaard.

Saskia may be a skilled commander, but she has little political cunning and no authority amongst nobility. The nobles would never accept leadership of a "peasant girl", even if faced with the threat of annihilation. Not to mention that Aedirn as a nation is struggling to resist assimilation by its own neighbours, and is in no position to haggle for power in a potential Northern Alliance.

Radovid's a cunning politician with the strongest authority amongst all Northern rulers. A skilled commander like Natalis can win a battle, but you need a skilled politician to assemble an army in the first place. Combined with the fact that Radovid is the only ruler in TW2 who cannot be killed or undermined in any way, makes it obvious that he will be the one to unite the Kingdoms behind him,

Top Bottom