Glyphwords - Protection vs Deflection

+
Glyphwords - Protection vs Deflection

which one you think is better for the armor?
or maybe 3 sign runes would be better to use?

iCake

Forum veteran
Protection is convenience, doesn't add anything beside that.
Deflection is utility, as it actually adds something new to your defense.

What'd you choose? I'd go for deflection all the way.

Protection is convenience, doesn't add anything beside that.
Deflection is utility, as it actually adds something new to your defense.

What'd you choose? I'd go for deflection all the way.

cool!
my build suppose to have 42 stamina regen anyway so casting quen should be easy

and finally ignore archers is a bless!

which one you think is better for the armor?
or maybe 3 sign runes would be better to use?
Deflection seems to have more impact on your skill allocation. You either have to sink 3 points in arrow deflection or pay money and got permanent immunity from ranged bandits, even when not parrying as I understand the text. So you trade 3 runes for sign intensifying purposes for a not so common defense in this game, immunity from certain effects is rare. But it competes with the armor type change words. If I had to choose between your 2 options I chose Deflection anytime.

If I had to choose between Deflection and Balanced, Levity etc. I had to think harder.

Protection just makes you quick select Quen less in combat, nothing I think is great since time slows down when changing sign anyway using the big menu.

I would go with arrow deflection, I just loved it.

I hate those stupid archers with their arrows which disturbs my sword fighting and moving. With deflection, you don't have to do anything and arrows don't do anything to you. Like they never even existed.

Also, when entering combat from a cutscene, Geralt is delayed, moving is possible but parrying and drawing swords is acting slow. Sometimes you won't draw your swords automatically at all till you got hit and stand boxing vs. a Chort, e.g. Or the endboss of Blood and Wine.

So, Deflection on your armor prevents even get shot in this 1 second of delayed combat control.

thanks for the info guys
right now im trying a new build using light armor so i must get the Balance runeword to make it Medium for the buff from griffin school

thanks for the info guys
right now im trying a new build using light armor so i must get the Balance runeword to make it Medium for the buff from griffin school

Then you won't have access to Deflection word and need to level Arrow Deflection.

Personally, I go for Protection for a few reasons....

First, archers are only a problem when you're low-levelled (before you've unlocked the Runewright) - soon enough, you're able to dodge their arrows and you've got enough health to be able to take it.

Second, having Quen be cast automatically allows you to begin fights with an offensive sign like Igni or Aard, basically giving you defense and offence right off the bat.

And finally, the Quen shield appears as soon as any enemy is around - often, before they are visible or on the mini-map. Very useful in stopping opponents from getting the drop on you.

Personally, I go for Protection for a few reasons....

First, archers are only a problem when you're low-levelled (before you've unlocked the Runewright) - soon enough, you're able to dodge their arrows and you've got enough health to be able to take it.

Second, having Quen be cast automatically allows you to begin fights with an offensive sign like Igni or Aard, basically giving you defense and offence right off the bat.

And finally, the Quen shield appears as soon as any enemy is around - often, before they are visible or on the mini-map. Very useful in stopping opponents from getting the drop on you.

exactly
sadly my new build use the feline set
so im using Balance runeword to make it work with the griffin technique

but i got a base of 32 stamina per second which is very nice!

Alot of the rune and glyphwords as I discovered them today are as useless and pointless or only extremely situationally useful over the course of the rest of the game, like most of all the mutatagens (vanilla, can't say yet for B&W as there seems to be a change with Mutagens as far as it looks for somebody that hans#t played b&W content yet and just sees the achievemrnt thats about creating "own Mutations") trophies, decoctions, potions and bombs where you clearly can see and quickly realize, that the devs responsibe for these things weren't really much creative, nor have they clearly spent for more than 5 minutes any thought into the usefulness of the things they implemented.

After playing through the game, spending hundreds of hours inside this game world, a player must be blind not to realize, into which sections the developrs clearly put the very most of their budget into - and that was clearly not into the creativity and usefulness of their gameplay systems or the combat system

It went mostly into Voice Acting, Motion Captioring, the Graphics, Animations, the huge explorative World, but Character Development and all the gameplay Systems around that and the Combat System sadly got the short end of the stick, which is the reason why the they tried to improve Character Development with the Expansions later.

Most of the stuff they added later, should have been already there in an expanded and more creative way from begin on in my opinion
And especially in a way with a system, where one thign doesn't remove for you the possibility to use the already existing upgrades like they did it with the game, where you loose all your runes/glyphs inserted in your equipment , if you want to use rune/glyphwords, because they replace them, insteasd of adding a system, which enhances simply the system thats already there, no they add something totally useless, that replaces the system thats already there and lets you lose your character development that you already have for something, thats in many cases only very situationally useful for example or is very dirictly connected to only very specific powers of Geral,t so that it makes sense only to use these enchantments if you are planning to use that specific skill x of Geralt basically all the time....

Instead of wasting good options for useless enchantments like that one, that lets your equipment not lose % anymore, they rather should have never brought this pointless mechanic from begin on...because you earn already from second 1 on in this game more than enough money, that you will never evr run into the problem, that ever anything in the game - be it your weapons or your armors iwll break, because you will alreays have enough money to buy more than enough repair kits (you even find more than enough everywhere while playing and looting stuff), that these silly mechanic seems to be totally obsolete in this game and is rather something, that CDPR should have been already rather patched out of the game, because its more of an annoyance to permanently keep an eye on your equipment to repair it, than it is ever in anyway or time some kind of "fun element" for this game, which is is in absolutely no game that has such nonsense, which i have ever played so far.

or wastign good options for useless enchantments that increase your resistance for wow bleeding... as if there would be soooo many enemies in this game, which constantly try to let you bleed to death..even fightign against humans with their swords don't cause constantly bleedings against you to bring you to the point, that you would ever need any bleeding resistance agaisnt them to be able to survive the fights....
The whoel game is a balancing mes,s I played the main game through on death march and the enemies on death march of the main game are all a joke against the much better enemies of the expansion HoS as they give you on death march at least finayl some kind of feelign ,that they are more dangerous and deadly as their AI is better programmed to attack more intelligently and to move alot better (god this arachnomophs are a pain in the ass xD, butso far the first really dangerous enemies when in a large group that you must be really cautious not to fight too many of them simultanously ,or you'll be sorry for sure if you overestimate yourself if you dont know, how much better the AI of them is and what they do when fighting them the first time and you get overwhelmed by a whole group f like 5-6+ of them, especiallly when among them are the bigger ones that do some really fierce jump attacks - but so far I must say the best enemies in the game Ive fought against.

also that automatic quen is somewhat of pointless... if you aren't fallen on your head, then you use quen only when really needed, especially once you learned the alternative formed and powered it up so that it heals you - once you have that, you become basically invincible because you can keep it permanently up and you can block this way like up to 3 hits most of the tiem, before your endurance is over, but it saves your life and seconds later is your endurance full at maximum again and allows you to permanently protect yourself for all harm and get healed again ... absolutely no need for such obsolete rubbish like this enchantment... because any sane person with a brain in a head can also precast if really needed quen before even starting the combat and there you have it, exactly the same thing, without wasting enchantments for such nonsense.

You maybe lose perhaps 1 to 2 seconds of durations this way, but quen isn't made to last forever anyways, unless you use the max powered up alternative quen which you can basically keep up forever as long nobody attacks you permanently and gives you no chance to reload your endurance once in a while, which is pretty much impossible in this game as it always reloads itself instantly constanlty, even if oyu do nothing at all

Arrchers are no problem at all, also not at the begin of this game on death march, because all what you need to do is constantly tapping the evasion button or do dodge rolls to get quickly into their need to force them into melee combat. Do that fast enough to give them no chance to draw their melee weapons and you have basically always a free kill thats unable to block your attacks. Focus on long range attacks always first and you have an easy life in this game. Theres absolutely no point into wasting skill points into arrow deflection or that enchantment into this game, unless you want, like I did it for that only -just the trophy/achievement from HoS, which requires of you to kill 3 enemies with deflected arrows... once youve done this, theres no need anymore to waste ever any skill points or enchaments for such situational nonsense, like arrow deflection, when 99,9% of all enemies in the game fight against you in melee combat and monsters have no attacks at all, that you could deflect with this skill - plus its no 100% guaranteed deflect for braindeads, it requires skill of the player, luck , timing and the right stance of Geralt to be able to deflect the arrow back to the origin , oftenly it can also just happen that you deflect the arrow just away from you and not back to your attacker, if you had not the right stance, or the right timing.

For me are the runewords and glyphwords among this games character development just another disappointment that proved me right, that CDPR didn't put alot of their budget into this section of the game, but they were much more focused on other parts that definetely have seend more input of the budget money, efforts and creativity of the devs, than the games character development/combat system and its various diverse elements of upgrades for Geralt based on glyphs, runes, potions, decotions, monotonous monster trophies and the mostly same as useless rune and glyphwords (very creative, I'd rather named these things Inscriptions and Insignias to be honest), where the last two then also replace the most important first two upgrades completely and make them literally void if you ever plan on using these "words" The only nice thign about the added enchamtment system is, that by addign it CDPR allows us to give basically every equipment of the game Slots so that you could improve equipment of the game and make it this way more equal to witcher equipment, of that usual equipment hadn't before the same amount of slots like the witcher equipment.

Monster Trophies, Potions, Decoctions, Glyphs, Runes and the stuff HoS added definetely all could need a serious rework as also the skill system out of better rebalancement for this game and to give Geralt more overall useful skills that aren't only very situationally usefull, but over the course of the game more constantly useful.

Thats i think this games most huge design oversight of the devs, because I think in my opinion they put too much focus in other things and basically forgot to put the same focus into geralts character development, that HoS basically couldnt save this mess anymore, it made the mess just with more useless thigns bigger.
My opinion about that so far. Other players surely can have a different opinion about this, but thats how i see it by now after having played through the game and sawing now what HoS exactly added for new effects to the character development, that I can say only sober - I expected something better and overall more useful effects

However, no game is perfect I have to say to myself always to remember myself somehow that I should't reflect my own perfectionalism onto others.
SIgh

With how the game encourages and drills you to instinctively dodge and roll all the time, I don't think starting a battle with Quen is necessary, except for certain bosses. I prefer deflection since getting hit by an arrow is annoying, regardless of the damage it can do to you, plus dodging them can be tricky when you're mostly concentrated on the melee attackers in front of you and you may not know where the archers are lurking. With Deflection you can safely pretend archers don't exist in the fight until you need to deal with them.

Have a question to ask of Protection - the quen is cast only at the beginning of the fight, and not constantly in battle, yes? If it were the latter I'd think that would be OP.
But I'm seeking clarification here. Thanks.

Hayashi.226;n9168420 said:
Have a question to ask of Protection - the quen is cast only at the beginning of the fight, and not constantly in battle, yes? If it were the latter I'd think that would be OP.

Quen is always temporary, but it has two forms. One creates a persistent shield that will last for a limited time or until "broken" after being struck a certain number of times. The other is an active shield that requires the player to hold down the sign button and is more powerful, but trickier to use. If playing on the lower difficulties, the active shield augmented with the healing aspect can be very OP (you can sell your Swallows ;)). On higher difficulties, tough fights can still be challenging even with a maxed-out Quen, as enemies hit like mac trucks and many are capable of simply destroying the active healing shield in one hit and still causing damage.

Hayashi.226;n9168420 said:

Only at the beginning.

Am I the only person who felt ripped off by this merchant? He should at least have given me a couple of freebies.

e-ahmet;n9200421 said:
Am I the only person who felt ripped off by this merchant? He should at least have given me a couple of freebies.

Similar discussion in another thread. Personally, while it makes logical sense, Glyphwords and Runewords are pretty powerful. I honestly feel that it would have felt like a "Make yourself OP for Free!" mechanic if you could just add 1-2 for free. Then, you would only need to buy a couple more before you started to resemble a discount demigod. :cool:

Top Bottom