x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

  • Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Witcher 3 for Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looks incredible. Great job done by people, not from CDPR.
    Though I hope they'll rethink a work with someone, maybe FERAL and bring it natively to Linux/MAC.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by iRevolt View Post
      Looks incredible. Great job done by people, not from CDPR.
      Though I hope they'll rethink a work with someone, maybe FERAL and bring it natively to Linux/MAC.
      Yep, Wine developers are doing an incredible job, which should have been done by CDPR themselves.

      Regarding Feral, I asked them several times (and many others too), about if they would be interested in porting TW3 to Linux. It should fit their operational model, since normally Feral propose a port to some company, bear all expenses, and then share profits. But Feral avoid commenting on this, and CDPR are silent lately to begin with about everything, let alone about anything Linux related.

      According to former Virtual Programming developer, something went sour in CDPR, and despite the initial effort to make TW3 Linux port, they cancelled it. No idea how valid his claims are.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post

        Yep, Wine developers are doing an incredible job, which should have been done by CDPR themselves.

        Regarding Feral, I asked them several times (and many others too), about if they would be interested in porting TW3 to Linux. It should fit their operational model, since normally Feral propose a port to some company, bear all expenses, and then share profits. But Feral avoid commenting on this, and CDPR are silent lately to begin with about everything, let alone about anything Linux related.
        That's even more strange that none of companies wants to talk about Linux version anymore. I'm stuck with a Win machine to play W3 for now, and other titles as well. But looking at this thread, I'll get soon back to Linux machine and play it using Wine.
        Thanks for info.

        Comment


        • Some screenshots running TW3 in Wine on Linux.

          Forest at night

          Comment


          • How's the playthrough going Gilrond-i-Virdan ? Has the port been stable?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Garrison72 View Post
              How's the playthrough going Gilrond-i-Virdan ? Has the port been stable?
              It was pretty good in White Orchard and Vizima palace (I think I finished all side quests there so far), but when I got to Velen area, there was some lighting issue what made the ground look almost black. I guess it's not supposed to be that way? See below. So I decided to pause and wait until Wine developers will get to fixing it, since it's somewhat annoying visually.

              Comment


              • Yeah that doesn't look right at all. You've only finished the prologue basically so it's worth waiting till they get it right.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Garrison72 View Post
                  Yeah that doesn't look right at all. You've only finished the prologue basically so it's worth waiting till they get it right.
                  In areas where it works, I just tested thread dispatch in Mesa, and it produces 40-50 fps with RX 480.
                  Last edited by Gilrond-i-Virdan; 04-07-17, 03:55.

                  Comment


                  • It's starting to look good in WINE. I'm probably not gonna be able to play it in WINE until I get a better rig though. My PC wouldn't be able to handle it.

                    Comment


                    • Marcin_Momot : please take note of this article: The Witcher 3 didn't come to Linux likely as a result of the user-backlash from The Witcher 2.

                      I think the timing isn't even correct. TW2 for Linux came out in May 2014. Then CDPR indicated that TW3 for Linux is in the works (that was throughout 2014-2015). Only in 2016 you started hitting some snags and things fell apart. So it can't be that some outrage in 2014 affected problems that happened between 2015 - 2016.

                      That's just my view on it, but if you can officially refute it, it would be very helpful
                      Last edited by Gilrond-i-Virdan; 04-07-17, 19:24.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post
                        I think the timing isn't even correct. TW2 for Linux came out in May 2014. Then CDPR indicated that TW3 for Linux is in the works (that was throughout 2014-2015). Only in 2016 you started hitting some snags and things fell apart. So it can't be that some outrage in 2014 affected problems that happened between 2015 - 2016.
                        It could also be that something has changed about how communication and PR are managed since 2015, perhaps because of the "downgrade" controversy or other reasons, and avoiding outrage is more of a priority now than before. It might not necessarily have been the only reason why the Linux port was canceled (or at least it looks so at the moment), but a possible factor in the decision. However, that is only a guess, it does not look like we are getting a real answer.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by sv3672 View Post
                          it does not look like we are getting a real answer.
                          I blame it on CDPR management. They really completely failed to set up proper communication.

                          Comment


                          • Puppeteer lines in TW3 bug was fixed in Wine

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post
                              In areas where it works, I just tested thread dispatch in Mesa, and it produces 40-50 fps with RX 480.
                              How much of a performance loss vs Windows? What settings?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by metalmaniac21 View Post
                                How much of a performance loss vs Windows? What settings?
                                I can't compare, since I never played it on Windows. But I get around 40 fps on max settings (hairworks off), using Sapphire Nitro+ AMD RX 480 on 1920x1200.

                                Currently though there is that dark ground bug, and another nasty freeze bug in Velen, so I'm waiting for them to be fixed before playing further.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X