What Keeps you Playing?

+
didnt start the game yet probably in 5 or 6 days just bought a good pc i will probably play it like the witcher 2 play it finish it and play again after 1 month and do it again everytime until i reach 100% and start downloading mods

Geralt

---------- Updated at 10:56 AM ----------

The world

---------- Updated at 10:56 AM ----------

The story, characters, quests.

Lets wake this up again :)

Last posted in this thread on November and Witcher magic still lives :D When I finished my second game, I just wasn't ready to let go. I started my third game with broken bones, 'cause I wanted more challenge (inspired by HoS). I played my two previous games with easy difficulty. I started to look for third options in quests ( and found new quests too) and I decided to try and collect all the trophies, so I had something new to do. I have never ever before minded trophies, but now they are like obsession to me. This is the first game worth the trouble and first game which is interesting enough for collecting trophies.

When I was finishing my third game, I honestly thought that I would play something else for a change. There was one game that I had waited for so long and it came out just when I was finishing my third game. I started it yes, but soon I noticed that I had returned back to Witcher world. Now I'm on my fourth Witcher 3 game, hunting for that last death march trophy, so that I can get my first platinum! And maybe I can finally play something else after that? :D I haven't been playing anything else since Witcher 3 came out. This time I'm going to leave all ? in peace (and lots of races and other minor quests), so if I still need to dive in to this world after completing the story, I don't have to start all over again.

And luckily there is still Blood And Wine coming out :) Let's see if I have to start my fifth game after that :D

CDPR really ruined all other games! I'm still enjoying this game very much :) I just can't get enough!

Just came back to the game as well. My first and only playthrough lasted for an amazing 280 hours. In this playthrough I completed all the available quests, except collect 'em all. Apparently I missed one or two Gwent cards, but I'm not about to look 'em up on the internet. Next playthrough I'll find them.

Although I've completed all the quests I'm still missing a few recipes as well.

Just replayed GTA 5 and tonight I'm continuing HoS.

I love the lore to death. Currently reading through the books and then replaying the first 2 games to get a small break from the The Witcher 3 (that I've already played ~380 hours) and then planning on doing one or two playthroughs again.

It's my favorite game and fantasy franchise to date. I just love it and can't get enough of it. :)

I love the lore to death. Currently reading through the books and then replaying the first 2 games to get a small break from the The Witcher 3 (that I've already played ~380 hours) and then planning on doing one or two playthroughs again.

It's my favorite game and fantasy franchise to date. I just love it and can't get enough of it.

THIS! I have the exact same thing tho I only played TW3 and TW2 (I saw whole playthrough of TW1 on youtube). I am just so glad I picked TW3 up on the release date man such a gorgeous game and exploration possibilities. And at the same time a dark world at that too, it swallowed me up into it's world. So after I finished TW3 I just had to pick up the book. And wel because of the books TW3 got so much more depth, I could relate better to certain characters. So yeah the books was one of the reasons that I am still playing the TW3.

If you can, play it yourself. It's an amazing game that made me fall in love with the franchise back in the day. The first game I ever pre-ordered and it was worth every penny.
Lol, I feel exactly the opposite. The first game is so tedious and slow (still a good game though). After playing through most of the first game I realized the story of TW3 is self contained and I didn't really feel like missing things when skipping game 1.

Lol, I feel exactly the opposite. The first game is so tedious and slow (still a good game though). After playing through most of the first game I realized the story of TW3 is self contained and I didn't really feel like missing things when skipping game 1.
Each to their own. I've played it 10+ times and can't wait to play it again after I'm done with the books. Still prefer it over the second game. :)

I'm trying desperately at the moment to postpone my next playthrough until after the release of Blood & Wine and try to get my daily Witcher 3 fix by watching Gopher's playthrough, but it only makes it harder to resist the itch....
And although I have tons of games in my backlog, they are not nearly as tempting as W3 (Alien Isolation and Crusader Kings II do a respectable job, however ;) )

I finished my game (including HoS) on Broken Bones difficulty a couple of months ago. Did all quests and cleared every map (heck even Skellige smugglers chests). Now I feel satisfied.

I'll wait for Blood and Wine and complete it with my old savefile.
I'll start a definitive death-march campaign only when I'm sure the game is fully finished and all the contents/patches are released.

I generally don't have all the time to complete long games multiple times due to work/family etc..but TW3 is so good that I'm carefully planning the next playthrough when I can make the most of it. That's why I'm waiting for the game to be complete for my second run.

I kind of finished pretty fast even having some sleep-depraving sessions of countless hours up until the morning sun came up when it came out. I let it rest after my initial playthrough because that is how I do things normally (and because MGSV). But I'll probably replay the game some time soon. What I really have to say is that the game starts pretty slow. Until I was out of White Orchard I kind of didn't really feel like the game properly started. And to be honest I liked Velen/Novigrad a lot more than White Orchard. Skellige was somewhere in-between (I definitely loved the main Island). The storyline really picks up after you're out of the starting area WO (White Orchard), but it still goes moderately. It really, really picks up when you get into Novigrad (around lvl 10 - 15 depending how you level).

As for the side quests. Loved a lot of them. 1 or 2 were a little boring, but the Witcher contracts were always awesome. Like in the previous games, I preferred Witcher work a lot to "standard quests". With "standard quests" I mean everything that does not necessarily fall into Witcher jurisdiction.

Anyway, still love the game. Got the CE for extra money from the UK (cost me extra, but I didn't care), and I'm glad I did. Still got the statue on my desk. One of the swords (the one on the back) broke, but I'll fix it in time and otherwise it's awesome. I trusted CDPR and they did not disappoint me.

My advise would be, soak it in, do your quests, enjoy the landscape, music, story. And if you don't like the combat play on the easier difficulties. And when it gets "too much" for you then stop and make a pause. No shame in that. Sometimes it overwhelms you or you're not in the right mindset, happens to me all the time in all sorts of games. Take your time, enjoy it.

I finished main story 2 times and 1st expansion one time. Now, I'm on my third run and I just can't get enough of this game. Recently I finished ROTR, played some other games, but Witcher 3 spoiled me in every way, and these other games are not fun enough. W3 have everything, graphics, sound, world, story, characters, quests.. Truly a masterpiece!

Whatever modern game I play, I kinda feel it's somewhat not polished enough, and go back to playing Witcher 3. It's a curse at this point :) The only other games I can play right now are either strategy, or CRPG (White March Part 2) games, which are completely different genres. If a game is in action, or action RPG genres, I just can't play them right now... I get incredibly bored. So yeah, that's what keeps me playing.

Whatever modern game I play, I kinda feel it's somewhat not polished enough, and go back to playing Witcher 3. It's a curse at this point :) The only other games I can play right now are either strategy, or CRPG (White March Part 2) games, which are completely different genres. If a game is in action, or action RPG genres, I just can't play them right now... I get incredibly bored. So yeah, that's what keeps me playing.

Tbh I'm kind of burned out on pure action or action RPGs at the moment. I was never SUPER big on them, but atm I can't play any of them (except TW3). But I hope when Deus Ex: Mankind Divided comes around that I'll be up for it again. Despite some minor gripes (lacking depth in RPG systems compared to Deus Ex (1) and when it came to augmentations) I really loved Human Revolution.

Non the less, I know TW will always have a special place in my heart. The game isn't perfect. But it is damn well polished, has hundreds of hours of content for a single playthrough alone, has a unique and beautiful world, great (not fetch-questy) side-quests, a mostly solid main storyline and I read the books, so there is that.....

ATM it's just to be in the world that's keeping me going, but I have now totally exhausted all my options. I have a good 800+ hours clocked up on this game, that includes 7 playthroughs comprising of taking all good decisions then bad decisions/Trophey hunting/all romance options. Also attempted to get a perfect game by doing every quest with no red text lines (I only have 2 red text lines, and believe me there is no way around them) and 2 new game+ (included in that 7)

I am now patiently waiting for the next exp pack, and I have been preparing a save for it for the last few weeks. Started of a new game (story and sword) did everything including all quests, then at about level 25 changed direction to HOS, then went back into the main quest line. Finished that last week and now I'm just doing a map cleanup (yes the Skellige smugglers cashes) So I'm sitting at level 42 ATM running around killing random groups of nekkers/wolves etc.

Last edited:
The formula keeps me coming back. Certain games just have a "thing" that gels really well. This is one of them, for me. I also do the same thing with Jagged Alliance 2, Dawn of War Dark Crusade, Kingdoms of Amalur, and CoD Modern Warfare.

Top Bottom