[SPOILERS] What's your opinion on Hearts of Stone?

+
I'm surprised how people so easily forgive the weird shit in HoS main story, like Gaunter unexplained powers (he can basically do what he want with magic but still somehow has difficulty taking someone's soul), the weird wordplays (you can take the a painting of a rose instead of the real rose, great maybe next time I'll just paint it myself?) and actually entering a painted world, somehow.
Shouldn't these stuff be explained

'm surprised how people so easily forgive the weird shit in HoS main story, like Gaunter unexplained powers (he can basically do what he want with magic but still somehow has difficulty taking someone's soul), the weird wordplays (you can take the a painting of a rose instead of the real rose, great maybe next time I'll just paint it myself?) and actually entering a painted world, somehow.

Actually, it is very good that it was not explained. It's better to keep mystery than to come up with some nonsense. Look at Blood and Wine and how CDPR tried to explain vampire powers... In short, they fucked up. It would have been better if they didn't do that because those explanations are not friendly to basic logic even from the fantasy perspective. And also why should Gaunter explain his limitations to anyone? To be figured out and defeated? The painted rose should have been from Iris, if Geralt did it himself it wouldn't have been proper execution of the task.

It would have been better if they didn't do that because those explanations are not friendly to basic logic even from the fantasy perspective.

It was logical in the sense that Geralt, being the knowledgeable expert that he is, would want to understand and know such details. It's how he was trained as a Witcher, he relies just as much on knowledge of his enemies as he does with physical skill. I actually rather like that Vampires in the world of the Witcher differ from the traditional legends we know of, i.e. garlic, daylight and religious symbols have no effect on them. It grounds the species to much more realistic terms, and it makes sense that a Witcher can defeat them. Of course, there are moments of pure fantasy where Dettlaff gains immense power and that was never explained.

I'm surprised how people so easily forgive the weird shit in HoS main story, like Gaunter unexplained powers (he can basically do what he want with magic but still somehow has difficulty taking someone's soul), the weird wordplays (you can take the a painting of a rose instead of the real rose, great maybe next time I'll just paint it myself?) and actually entering a painted world, somehow.

This is simple - its based on Slavic lore.. Devil is somehow forced to keep his deals.. and because he made deal with Olgierd that he will only get his soul once all requirements are fullfilled and they are standing on the moon, he couldnt break own deal... this is basic lore knowledge you get if you look for devil stories... even Faust play contain it...

I actually rather like that Vampires in the world of the Witcher differ from the traditional legends we know of, i.e. garlic, daylight and religious symbols have no effect on them.
You mean like in every other vampire game or movie produced in the last 20 years?

It grounds the species to much more realistic terms, and it makes sense that a Witcher can defeat them.
Except he cannot defeat them at all, and nobody can, because by CDPR only another vampire can kill a vampire, which by itself put them to the godhood status.

But really, if you want to discuss it then let's do it in the relevant thread and not in the Hearts of Stone feedback thread.

Well, since I'm here by an accident I just must write in this thread.

This expansion is the best piece of art CDPR ever made. Truly their top.
Waiting for the same quality of writing in their next projects.

To take an already formidable game and improve, speaks volumes of CD project Red's abilities. Both in terms of gameplay and as fantastic storytellers.
I enjoyed my time with Hearts of Stone immensely, and dare I say it's even better than the game's main plot. Perhaps this i because it centers more around one story and not 354 smaller stories that add up. More condensed, but also much more enjoyable (Not that The Witcher 3 in it's own right wasn't a fabulous game in itself).

Favourite part. SPOON!!!

Hearts of Stone has the best story I've ever played in any game (even better than TW3's main story), with plenty of twists and surprises woven in. It also has the most fun quest ever, "Dead Man's Party". :D

All of the bosses and minibosses are challenging (even when doing the quests at a much higher lvel than the recommendations) and unique. Each requires different tactics, which makes fighting them much more exciting.

Also cow. ;)

All in all, 11/10. I haven't played Blood and Wine yet, but needless to say my expectations are high.

It's absurd how fantastic Hearts of Stone is; I was gripped the moment I was introduced to Olgierd and his crew. If I had to say some things, it would be that I found Geralt's voice during the festival a bit grating after a while; his voice starts to sound a bit too sensual and sexual, like he's trying to caress you with his voice (a few times I actually had to rub my ear), and I thought that quest dragged on for a bit too long. Other than that, I had no problems. Really, really great expansion.

Last edited:
The story is awesome, but overall the expansion left me with a 'meh!' impression, because I really hoped to get a more elaborate experience in Ofier actually. Geralts encounter with them felt rushed, in my opinion. The story about O'Dimm, however is brilliant and very dark. I liked that a lot. The wedding and Shani felt forced, even when the wedding activities were hilarious (that pig trophy really helps in Touissant ;)).

But that may be, because I never finsihed Witcher 1-2 or read any book, so Shani came out of nowhere and Geralt being very familiar kind of felt strange to me. But as soon as I entered Olgierd mannor, the story got me again. Great horror atmosphere (Olgierd mannor + Tower of Mice have the best atmosphere of all quests, imho).

Last edited:
So replaying my third time...

Dead Man's Party came about because someone wanted to hear Doug Cockle/Geralt say ridiculous things and then found a way to make it actually work. That's my theory.

Was I the only one disappointed to realize we were on a boat and still ended up in Novigrad? I have to admit, I thought HOS introduced a new map at first.

I do agree with HOS being the best story wise. Geralt seemed a bit more edgy in HOS. He dropped quite a few, well placed, F-bombs during the story. I also enjoyed how Gaunter and dark magic had that Cthulu feel to it. It's rare for a game to make it's protagonist so powerless to an unknown threat. Centers the character and doesn't make he/she all comic book like.

The enchants for the Rune Master could of been better, though. And I have to give the devs props for pulling off a major quest line that required very little fighting. Also a great job they did getting Geralt to be entertaining out of character.

Last edited:
Finished HoS yesterday and am still a little torn. I liked the dark landscape Gaunter placed Geralt in because I didn't expect that. When he said "Ok, here's my riddle" this is was happened in my mind: "Easy. It's a mirror or the reflection in a mirror. Has to be. So let's hear it one more time to make sure, then click the next option... WTF? Why can't I just tell O'Dim the correct answer? Where am I? Oh, you bastard!" Of course, Geralt died on the first try because I got distracted by the fights and the loot. I didn't make that mistake the second time around and thought the solution was pretty cool. Also, I was glad that I managed to save Olgierd. Not that I liked him very much but after "Scenes from a Marriage" and with all the background knowledge about him, I had some pity for him. Not enough to help him, though. My main motivation to help Olgierd was that I didn't want Gaunter to win because I liked Gaunter even less than Olgierd.

I didn't care much for the main story. Although it was well written, it felt a bit... forced. And I didn't care much for most of the characters - either didn't like them or didn't care much. I liked Olgierd's brother, though, because that part with the wedding was great fun and Geralt got to behave completely out of character. Loved it. Having Shani back was nice but since I played HoS after the main story of the base game had been concluded, the option to romance Shani felt very forced. It would have been nice if Geralt could have told her "Look, I like you a lot but I'm with Yen/Triss now".

I have to admit that Iris and Olgierd's story didn't really touch me although it's a sad story. I didn't feel as torn when doing the Bloody Baron quest, though, because the von Everec story was pretty straight forward and the decisions weren't that hard to make. Also, the characters didn't feel as real as the Bloody Baron and Anna. I did like how the story was executed, though, and I think the painted world was pretty awesome. Nice gameplay there, and the bossfights at the von Everec estate were something else as well.

The Ophiri part felt rushed; at first I, too, thought that I had washed up on some distant shore only to find out that Novigrad was just around the corner. I expected something more to happen after I had beaten the Mage and the other Ophiri but nope. Just the runewright and the tradesman who ended up around Novigrad even before Geralt was dragged on that ship.

So to sum it up, I think HoS delivers some pretty awesome stuff, some of which is really dark, and O'Dim is a great villain. However, the story about Iris and Olgierd lacks something that makes me feel more sympathetic towards the two of them. As I said above, my main motivation for helping Olgierd was that I didn't want Gaunter to win, not Olgierd's charming personality or his sad story. I think that's my main problem with HoS: That I help a guy not because I feel he's been betrayed and that he deserves some happiness but because I don't want Evil to win.

Was I the only one disappointed to realize we were on a boat and still ended up in Novigrad? I have to admit, I thought HOS introduced a new map at first.

When I fought that mage at the beach I definitely thought I was in a new desert-like area, and then I was really surprised when I suddenly saw Novigrad :)

The main quest was brillant and it had the best villain in the game when it comes down to evilness and mysteriousness. Olgierd, although not exactly a good person, I couldn't help but warm to after learning about his suffering. And Shani is simply a very likeable character. What I also liked is how real and unique all the major quests felt like: the wedding, the heist and the painted world (Iris was awesome. Her character model, and her VA's performance).

The main story of HoS is awesome! Respect! :thumbsup: But the sidequests in the new area... By the way which sidequests?! :unsure: There's only TWO (!!!) real sidequest thoughout the new area ("Without a trace" - a good one in my opinion - and "Rose on a red field" - a acceptable quest - ... But the other quests?! Only treasure hunts!!! And there are so much beautiful places like the spooky wood in the East (I can't remember the exact name at the moment)... But nothing!!! Only treasure hunts!!! Sorry CDPR, but that's not really enough to tell an exciting tale or to provide an exciting backround of the new area. :evil: To be honest you guys have done your job much better in the main game and in BaW !!!

HOS seems a long way back for me now, but I ploughin' loved it. In a way, loved it even more than B&W (which is also wonderful). I agree with the poster who said that he was surprised, after the shipwreck, to find himself still near Novigrad. But that's OK. The characterisation and story is what grips me and that was first class. Well done again CDPR!

HOS was fantastic. It had a very well balanced story that was even darker than the base game. Gaunter O'Dimm has to be one of the best antagonist in a long time. Still have Blood of Wine to play now.

Top Bottom