Best armor sets(aesthetically)

+
Looks quite nice. The original still feels more "Toussaint-esque" to me, but I definitely appreciate the level of detail and progression put into NG+.

Guys i really love the Manticore/TW1 set.

However,if i start a NG+ will it stay that way or will it automatically transform into the NG+ version?In other words,do you automatically get the NG+ version or do you have to craft it?

Finally,an almost entirely off-topic question:When i last played TW3(That was back at the B&W release),i crafted the top-tier versions of every witcher gear,including the swords.Will these be enough for a NG+ playthrough,or will i have to craft new armor/swords sooner or later?

Guys i really love the Manticore/TW1 set.

However,if i start a NG+ will it stay that way or will it automatically transform into the NG+ version?In other words,do you automatically get the NG+ version or do you have to craft it?

No, all your gear stay the same, you will need to craft the legendary gear from scratch.

Finally,an almost entirely off-topic question:When i last played TW3(That was back at the B&W release),i crafted the top-tier versions of every witcher gear,including the swords.Will these be enough for a NG+ playthrough,or will i have to craft new armor/swords sooner or later?

Those would be quit weak in the NG+ and you will have quickly ditch them for more powerful gear that you find/craft.

RE: Feline armor as "leather" armor, or god forbid "studded leather" armor:

hedop;n2444573 said:
You start basically with a leather vest that gives you protection for your torso, later you add a layer of cloth underneath as protection against the cold and basic protection against scratches and the likes, later you add a chainmail gorgette and chainmal padding for your arms, and in the final stage you add leather shoulder guards and a leather collar over your gorgette which is a neat design and makes sense from a realistic point of view that your armor improves by adding bits and pieces, furthermore it looks fantastic in my book. <...> Very light as it's leather, mobility and agility is therefore unsurpassed compared to breastplate, fullplate, chainmail etc.

The Feline armor set is not a "leather armor". I'm pretty sure it's a brigandine. It's covered in very characteristic triple studs — these studs are heads of rivets that hold the dozens of steel plates inside the vest. One of the posters complained about the Feline "monstrosity" covered in "acne-studs", well, that's where the acne comes from.

Also, the mail shirt is most likely one-piece, not collar + sleeves. And even the covering is most probably not made out of leather, or not entirely: I remember dyeing it red, and in close-ups it really looked like felt. Which would make sense practically and aesthetically.

What I found out recently is that "studded leather" is a complete and utter myth made up by fantasy RPG designers and writers. Everything that's dubbed "studded leather" and the like in games is result of a misconception — a designer who looked at a metal armor with cloth or leather covering, and saw "cloth armor" and "leather armor".

Last edited:
schmvck;n2492263 said:
The Feline is my favorite witcher armor I guess, it makes the most sense, and if I had to choose a look this would be it, not a big fan of the chainmail though, kinda ruins the lightweight armor impression for me.

As I understand (see above post), the Feline armor set is definitely NOT a leather or cloth armor. It's basically a "bulletproof vest" kind of stiff armor, made out of dozens of steel plates, in addition to chainmail. So you can say that adding a mail shirt is only up-armoring the whole set a bit, the vest is the main protection with its overlapping steel plates.

For me it 's a tie between mastercrafted wolven and ursine... with manticore and Temerian set as close second and third.

Manticore set coloured similar to the jacket from Witcher 1.
White coloured grandmaster feline armor.
Ofieri set with iris.

I'm incredibly frustrated to see everyone enjoying Witcher gear when I wore only the Griffin set in the pre-DLC W3. By the time I completed a Witcher Gear treasure hunt, I'd already found / bought armour that severely outclassed it.

It's led me to think that I may have played this game wrong the entire time,

Witcher gear is better that "common" armor overall, plus the upgrades , plus better looking design (i know is a matter of taste, but the witcher gear look with more work put into them than the other armors, and it makes sense..is a witcher game after all). That doesn't mean that we don't have good looking armors, like the Temerian DLC or the Cydarian or even the Oathbreaker. The armors from Blood and Wine don't make sense to me...Geralt will not even think on wearing those...(Griffin armor, specially the last upgrades are questionable for a Witcher) but it's just my roleplay head talking out loud.

JUANMAS7ER;n9311431 said:
Witcher gear is better that "common" armor overall, plus the upgrades , plus better looking design (i know is a matter of taste, but the witcher gear look with more work put into them than the other armors, and it makes sense..is a witcher game after all). That doesn't mean that we don't have good looking armors, like the Temerian DLC or the Cydarian or even the Oathbreaker. The armors from Blood and Wine don't make sense to me...Geralt will not even think on wearing those...(Griffin armor, specially the last upgrades are questionable for a Witcher) but it's just my roleplay head talking out loud.

Armor designs were to let players live out their fantasies, I believe. The books describe witchers wearing little to no armor, as they rely on their mutations and pure speed to see them through. Armor restricts movement and mobility, albeit, only a tiny bit...I imagine every little bit counts when you can move so quickly that seconds might as well be minutes.

Gameplay / stat purposes aside, many modern gamers expect huge, open-world RPGs to allow them to customize the look of their characters to a large degree, so the wide array of gear available in the game is there to that end, I believe. Just as in real life, Geralt is free to dress up in any clothing he gets his hands on. The only thing restricting people to wearing this over that is "choice". :)

SigilFey;n9313051 said:
Armor designs were to let players live out their fantasies, I believe. The books describe witchers wearing little to no armor, as they rely on their mutations and pure speed to see them through. Armor restricts movement and mobility, albeit, only a tiny bit...I imagine every little bit counts when you can move so quickly that seconds might as well be minutes.

Gameplay / stat purposes aside, many modern gamers expect huge, open-world RPGs to allow them to customize the look of their characters to a large degree, so the wide array of gear available in the game is there to that end, I believe. Just as in real life, Geralt is free to dress up in any clothing he gets his hands on. The only thing restricting people to wearing this over that is "choice". :)

You took words off my mouth :), give options to players is one of the high points to the witcher games, even the "not lore friendly" ones, is all about making your interpretation of Geralt

Razrback16;n10695691 said:
Grandmaster Wolf
Kaer Morhen Armor
Temerian Armor
Viper Armor
Grandmaster Ursine

Have to agree! Grandmaster Wolf is my favorite design in the game, followed closely by Manticore in B&W, simply because it's most reminiscent of Geralt's armor in TW1, which is probably the game I've spent the most time with after TW3. (I'd also argue that this is probably the most "canon" armor based upon Geralt's description in the novels. He's described as wearing a leather "jacket" which he's sewn bits of silver into. Not really "armor".)

Love the base armor design and Viper design, too.

I am a huge fan of the overall look of the Ursine armor, but it just never feels very Witcher-y or Geralt-y to me. I often build it...then put it in the stash and never use it. :p (Next playthrough, perhaps...)

Though this one looks pretty nice too

Terribly sorry to wake a dead thread, but... WHAT IS THIS BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF ARMORED ARTWORK?!?!?!

Terribly sorry to wake a dead thread, but... WHAT IS THIS BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF ARMORED ARTWORK?!?!?!

I SECOND THIS NOTION.
That's just gorgeous :')
Post automatically merged:

My favorite is probably the mastercrafted ursine. or maybe even Viper.
I'm on a current mission to get all of the sets...soo if you have any tips that'd be much appreciated xD

when I set out to find the basic school gear diagrams, this helped. So I'll drop it here in case anyone is interested, too.
http://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/witcher-3-best-weapon-witcher-3-best-armor

Last edited:
i wished there would have been more hood armors. In some armors geralt looks fat which is funny. I believe nearly all the witcher armors are really good. The starter armor should have been someway in the end or halfway. This armor was good. The Wolf i played the most. Good red armor. The colour should have been changeable at the beginning of the third game.

I'm a simple witcher. I like the starting armour best. So many great variants to choose from on nexus too!
Currently using one of @Walteriusmaximus 's texture faded + black chainmail. (Hope he releases a brown faded version soon..)
Front:
Look at that tasteful blood splatters.

Back:
Works great with the knife and quiver from AMM mod too.

Boots:
The details are impressively delicious.

Before this I was using a black version:
hi can you please send me the file with both armors. thank you!!! this looks so good

I SECOND THIS NOTION.
That's just gorgeous :')
Post automatically merged:

My favorite is probably the mastercrafted ursine. or maybe even Viper.
I'm on a current mission to get all of the sets...soo if you have any tips that'd be much appreciated xD

when I set out to find the basic school gear diagrams, this helped. So I'll drop it here in case anyone is interested, too.
http://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/witcher-3-best-weapon-witcher-3-best-armor.
Viper is my favorite too. It's the most fabulous armor there is!

Top Bottom