TW3 UI and configuration questions

+
I'm back to the game now, since the Velen freeze bug has a workaround at last.

I noticed, that during combat Geralt sometimes makes a piercing move rather than slashing one, but it's kind of not consistent. Can it be controlled in some way or it happens depending on direction or some other factors?

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9580151 said:
I noticed, that during combat Geralt sometimes makes a piercing move rather than slashing one, but it's kind of not consistent. Can it be controlled in some way or it happens depending on direction or some other factors?
I've been experimenting with this myself lately. So far, all I've found is that it seems to happen more frequently when I change directions quickly to attack an enemy behind Geralt. Beyond that, I haven't found a more precise method of reproducing the manoeuvre.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9580151 said:
Can it be controlled in some way or it happens depending on direction or some other factors?
Tested a bit more: Also seems to happen when quickly attacking flanking opponents. Combination of directional keys and attack button may determine it.

By the way, I saw in some videos an effect of shadows from clouds moving on the ground. I never get that, and I wonder whether it's a Mesa or Wine bug, or it's some option that should be enabled? I set all settings to max, except hairworks which I keep off.

May be I'm doing something wrong, but I found one particularly annoying thing with controls. During combat, space starts acting as a rolling move, rather than a jump. That can be especially problematic when you are surrounded by some barrels (where are you the Bard?), or other obstacles that you could otherwise jump over, but instead Geralt would just pointlessly roll there. Is there a way to jump during combat?

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9606001 said:
(where are you the Bard?)

Your hero!.jpg

Sadly, as all three of his adventures bear out, Geralt simply never learned to jump in combat. For some reason, Vesemir neglected to teach this particular move at Kaer Morhen.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9613411 said:
Is there a way to have more than 2 bombs of each type? For example 4 grapeshots instead of 2 grapeshots and 2 devil' puffballs?

Sure is but not like you imagine it. Better versions of bombs will increase your capacity of specific bomb types. E.g. Enhanced grapeshot will give you 3 (IIRC) grapeshots to carry around, superior grapeshot - 4, the other bombs won't be affected though, untill you found and crafted better versions of them. There's also a skill in the green tree that ups your bomb capacity and it applies for all of them. There's also a witcher set with a buff to the amount of bombs you can carry as well as another bonus I don't want to spoil, these are B&W stuff though.

Back to your original question though. No, you can't have more of a bomb type at the expense of another.

iCake;n9613471 said:
Back to your original question though. No, you can't have more of a bomb type at the expense of another.

Heh, and I expected it's limited by Geralt's belt or however he carries them around. The above mechanic isn't logical, but I get the idea.

Is the merchant near the bridge to Novigrad bugged? I think I freed him from one of the bandit camps. When selecting "show me your wares". it just cycles back to the dialog selection.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9668711 said:
Is the merchant near the bridge to Novigrad bugged?
Ay. Unfortunately, this bug persisted, despite various reports. Luckily, you're not missing much. He isn't a very talented merchant. After all, he couldn't talk himself out of the bandits' clutches. . .

I think it's random. The merchant you're discussing works in my game...but there's another one somewhere in Velen with a wagon and campfire that won't actually trade (dialogue cycles ass you indicate), and a couple in Skellige this time around that I know worked in past playthroughs.

Maybe it has something to do with Gwent, actually, as I tend to play sporadically in my games.

SigilFey;n9669891 said:
Maybe it has something to do with Gwent, actually, as I tend to play sporadically in my games.

Interesting thing is that I was able to trade with that merchant once, though he didn't have any Gwent cards to sell. But after that time he became bugged. He also "teleports" behind Geralt after the conversation.

I have extra buttons on the Logitech mouse, and wanted to bind them to a few actions like toggle between signs (since I wanted to use scrollwheel action for quicklots mod).

Somehow, Mouse4 and Mouse5 just fail to toggle signs, even though they are recognized and set by the game for that action. I tried them for other actions, like jump for example, and they work fine. Does the same thing happen for anyone on Windows, or it's something with Wine?

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9727471 said:
Does the same thing happen for anyone on Windows, or it's something with Wine?
I play with a Logitech G402: For Witcher III, I found it necessary to re-assign these extra buttons to unused keyboard symbols through the software in order to use them in-game.

Verifying that there are some oddities in the default controller config. I don't remember exactly what my issues were, but I do remember not being able to get exactly what I wanted. I also distinctly remember 2 buttons on my mouse not responding in-game, just as you describe. Razer mouse in my case. R-L-M buttons and page up / down buttons work fine. My two "nifty" buttons could be assigned, wouldn't actually do anything.

Not sure if it would make it better or worse, but there are a few control mods that allow a little more flexibility.

Top Bottom