TW3 UI and configuration questions

+
TW3 UI and configuration questions

I'm finally playing TW3 for the first time, since it now works very decently in Wine on Linux. Obviously I missed tons of questions that people had in the past, so don't get surprised if these sound like well known issues.

Is there a way to remove key hints above NPCs, like that annoying E which is shown above "Talk" and talk icon? That stack of E, Talk and talk icon is way cumbersome. I'd say even "Talk" would be good to hide.

There is a "configure HUD" menu under the video options in the game, but I am not sure if it allows for hiding those hints. If it does not, maybe they can be disabled in the configuration files, or with mods. I did find a mod here that hides the control hint and the NPC name completely, but only for generic NPCs like "poor townsman" where trying to interact with them would not be useful anyway.

I have like 40 mods installed, so I won't go over all of them. As usual, Nexus is the place to go.

-Auto loot
-Action log
-hud positioning and scale
-Immersive cam, which includes an alt mod that improves horse controls.
-improved sign effects.
-I remove all FP lens effects in the game.These are all at nexus.
-real weather
-Turbo lighting
-Stack your items
-hd reworked project
-crossbow damage boost
-volumetric clouds
-Instant tool tips
-Skip movies
-Nitpickers mod

Let us know how the game plays. Hope you enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Garrison72;n8882090 said:
I have like 40 mods installed, so I won't go over all of them.

How do you like Super Turbo Lighting? Looks like they try to restore the pre-downgrade look.

Garrison72;n8882090 said:
Let us know how the game plays. Hope you enjoy. :)

Thanks! I posted some recent screenshots here.

Turbo lighting is about 90% effective. Meaning, there are certain weather and lighting conditions where it just doesn't work. I generally feel it's worth those odd moments since it's clearly in line with what CDPR was originally doing with the game before toasters got involved. Overall, colors and tone are less generic and less saturated. That's what he was going for imo.

That's great, Gilrond-i-Virdan . Say goodbye to your social life for up to 100 hours if you also have the expansions. I can't really tell you anything about mods since I played without them. In other words, the game is decent enough as it is. I wouldn't mind trying out some of those graphical mods though.

volsung;n8893090 said:
Say goodbye to your social life for up to 100 hours if you also have the expansions.
At least a hundred hours, Gilrond-i-Virdan, if you take your time, that is. However, total game-play varies widely from person to person, with quite a few reports of several hundreds of hours.

As for mods, sorry, I'm not much help either. I also played without them.

Riven-Twain;n8895270 said:
At least a hundred hours, Gilrond-i-Virdan, if you take your time, that is. However, total game-play varies widely from person to person, with quite a few reports of several hundreds of hours.

As for mods, sorry, I'm not much help either. I also played without them.

GOG Galaxy says I clocked 160 hours on TW3. Damn! That's a lot of game time for ONE playthrough!

I made a Swallow potion, and gave it to Tomira. Now I'm trying to make another one (in alchemy menu) and it just says "you already have this item". I have all the needed ingredients. Am I missing something?

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n8949110 said:
I made a Swallow potion, and gave it to Tomira. Now I'm trying to make another one (in alchemy menu) and it just says "you already have this item". I have all the needed ingredients. Am I missing something?
To confirm, you don't have the potion anywhere in your inventory?

For general reference, the new alchemy system -- which has been soundly criticised, by the way -- allows you to refill your potions with alcohest, simply by meditating. Potions thus only need to be brewed once, initially, and then, unless there is a bug -- which I hope is not the case here -- have a permanent slot in your inventory.

Ah, yes I have one but it shows zero on it, so I assumed I need to brew more, and alchemy menu didn't work. Meditating worked indeed, but it's somewhat a weird method, way too implicit to my taste. What if I don't want to refill some potion and want another? Sounds like there is no way to control it.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n8949270 said:
Mediating worked indeed, but it's somewhat a weird method, way too implicit to my taste. What if I don't want to refill some potion and want another? Sounds like there is no way to control it.
That has been one of the criticisms. I believe some modders have attempted to introduce a bit more complexity.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n8960880 said:
What's the deal with blade oils by the way? Looks like they stay in the inventory and aren't consumed?
Same case as with potions: Once created, they remain in the inventory for repeated use. This has some practicality in game-play, however, since it's sometimes necessary to apply the same oil multiple times in combat.

Personally, I wasn't especially fond of the alchemy system. If I had to guess, I'd assume the developers ultimately decided to favour convenience, for the benefit of players who don't enjoy manually creating and refilling their supply of consumable items, such as potions, oils, and bombs. Although this detracts from a technical -- and, as some have noted, significant -- lore aspect of being a witcher, it does free up the player to concentrate on combat, the story, and exploring the world.

I get it, once you have a potion, it's replenished with alcohol only. But what's then the point of the massive amount of alchemy ingredients that can be found around? At least in TW1 and TW2 they were actually used for making potions.

I noticed that after winning a gwent game from the scholiar in White Orchard inn, he gives Zoltan's card. But interestingly I got 4 of them from him, one for each deck. Is that supposed to be so, or it's a bug?

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n8988970 said:
I noticed that after winning a gwent game from the scholiar in White Orchard inn, he gives Zoltan's card. But interestingly I got 4 of them from him, one for each deck. Is that supposed to be so, or it's a bug?

You didn't get 4 Zoltan cards, you indeed got just 1. Zoltan just doesn't solely belong to any particular gwent deck, so his card can be used in any of the decks.

Top Bottom