x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What language is "original" in the Witcher 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riven-Twain View Post
    they were required to use American accents for the main characters.
    I'm a bit confused here, required by whom or what?

Comment

Originally posted by iCake View Post

I'm a bit confused here, required by whom or what?
      From what I understood, it was their then publishing partner, Atari, although I may be mistaken.
      'Sorry, but smashing barrels is one of my hobbies!'

Forewarned is forearmed. Therefore, to reduce chances of random encounters with the Guards, please, be acquainted with and follow the Forums' Regulations. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Riven-Twain View Post
        Rather odd.
        Yeah, a weird requirement considering that American accents are a rarity in the fantazy setting.

Comment

Originally posted by SigilFey View Post

Anything in particular you can point out? I know there are massive differences between American and British context, expressions, "common sense", etc. but I also know that I am terrible at picking them out. (I misused "bollocks" and "dog's bollocks" for literal months before finally figuring it out. Aside from occasional, real confusion, it was great fun for others.)
          Not sure, but for the sake of discussion.. it always followed a particular pattern.

- The usually neutral Gerald suddenly picks a side, possibly in a situation where being neutral would have been consistent with the previous narrative.
          - The voice acting becomes uncharacteristically aggressive and forceful, you never hear the speech tones of those lines in any other part of the game.
          - Often its at key plot moments (which makes you cringe the most). Your character is smart and witty but then turns dumb and simple right at the key points!

This is going from a few years ago memory, but I think the following scenes are good examples:

When he's talking to the nilfguardian garrison commander in white orchard, the game starts off with Gerald asking 'what side are we on' or something similar, then suddenly the only dialogue options are the nilfguardians are evil and its the first time you hear Geralt sound sarcastic and belligerent.

Might have been the same in some later scenes talking to the emperor, not sure, though that would make sense given ciri.

Definitely in the closing cutscene / play sequence of hearts of stone, when Geralt finally parts ways with master mirror look at how dramatic in tone geralts options are.. and different even to the lead up.

There was at least a handful more

Its all just reflection now I guess, while I was playing it really bothered me.. and ultimately because in witcher 2, they completely nailed it. Geralt, triss and dandelion. Given how different and out of place the changes were, you could almost tell they were done in a heavy handed mainstreamifcation pass they did on w3 given all the additional marketing. I suspected it was Microsofts influence, as that was the only key difference since the last game.

EDIT: sorry for all the typos, quick post and massive auto corrects hope you all have been well.
          Last edited by vesemas228; 06-11-17, 05:12.

Comment

It has been a conscious change in direction to focus more on personal drama than politics like in the previous game, and that involved trying to make the main characters more relatable and "human", showing that Geralt is not always an emotionless mutant freak, which is also fitting to a game that was meant to conclude his (and probably also the other characters') saga. But I do not think this is necessarily something that was forced on CDPR by Microsoft or anyone else to cater to the mainstream, more likely the developers thought it themselves that the direction in Witcher 2 was wrong. Perhaps some of the lines could have been written or acted better, however, on the whole I still think the characters have been improved.

Comment

Originally posted by vesemas228 View Post
              Not sure, but for the sake of discussion.. it always followed a particular pattern...

Its all just reflection now I guess, while I was playing it really bothered me.. and ultimately because in witcher 2, they completely nailed it. Geralt, triss and dandelion. Given how different and out of place the changes were, you could almost tell they were done in a heavy handed mainstreamifcation pass they did on w3 given all the additional marketing. I suspected it was Microsofts influence, as that was the only key difference since the last game.
              I do remember a few scenes that made me "tsk" over a missed opportunity or a thrown line. (Also, I'm referring only to the English dialogue here.) To be 100% fair, the only part in the entire game that me cringe was the delivery of the child during Where the Cat and Wolf Play. I immediately went into director mode in my mind at that performance. But...nothing's perfect!

Some of the other stuff you bring up, I sort of see, but certain parts may simply be in context that not everyone has. (Like Geralt's reaction to the Nilfgaardian commander. Geralt has become averse to "noble authority" oppressing innocent people over the years... I thought his cutting edge was quite in character. I also thought the complexity of the mixture of respect / loathing for the commander was lovely.)

Many people are sensitive to certain tones and mannerisms, though. (Like most anime in authentic Japanese -- the speed of the speech and way of emoting drives me up the wall sometimes.) Culture, again.

Originally posted by sv3672 View Post
              It has been a conscious change in direction to focus more on personal drama than politics like in the previous game...But I do not think this is necessarily something that was forced on CDPR by Microsoft or anyone else to cater to the mainstream, more likely the developers thought it themselves that the direction in Witcher 2 was wrong.
              I'm very sure Microsoft had ~0% input. I don't know, but I would be willing to make a sizable bet. I think it's just that the themes of the last story were very heavily centered on the Lodge, Nilfgaard finding their angle of attack to start the war, the northern kingdoms dissolving into total chaos, and Letho running around killing monarchs. Politics and intrigue were simply the main theme of TW2. I see all of the concerns of TW3 to be far more intimate in their nature: finding Yen...finding Ciri...living through the war...avoiding the Hunt...generally trying to stay out of politics. It's not that political intrigue isn't a theme; it's just no longer the main theme.
              Last edited by SigilFey; 07-11-17, 19:35.
              People always ask me, "What's in the box?" I get the question a lot. "Come on -- what's in the box!?" I won't tell them...but I'll tell you. Go on.
              You can see what's IN THE BOX!!!

Comment

Working...
              X