What language is "original" in the Witcher 3

+
Benzenzimmern;n9742841 said:
The main writing team working with quest designers on individual quests all write in Polish from the first draft to the last one. The English adaptation team is a separate team.

That sounds right, then. It's still wonderful talent! :) Give them many kudos!

Even if there's really no original version, the Polish one will always be the correct one to me, for being the source material's native tongue and for not having stuff like "Ermion", "Blackjack", and "Sile de Tansarville."

Zyvik;n9746151 said:
Even if there's really no original version, the Polish one will always be the correct one to me, for being the source material's native tongue and for not having stuff like "Ermion", "Blackjack", and "Sile de Tansarville."

It kills me when I know I'm missing all sorts of contextual meaning because I don't speak the language.

SigilFey;n9758741 said:
It kills me when I know I'm missing all sorts of contextual meaning because I don't speak the language.

I can provide the context :)

Ermion's original name is Myszowor wich was translated as "Mousesack" in the English version of the books and TW1. This is probably one of the weirdest changes since "Ermion" has no meaning and sounds nothing like the original. Plus it created an inconsistency with the first game in wich one of the druids reffered to him as "Mousesack".

"Blackjack" is the translation of Essi Daven's (Dandelion's friend in the books) nickname "Little Eye". Though in this case It's not a delibirate change, but a mistranslation since in Polish those words are spelled similarly.

Sile de Tansarville is another delibirate change. Her original name is Sheala de Tancarville. This change annoys me the most, because for some stupid reason the people behind Russian localization thouth that De Tansarville sounded better than the original name. Why is it so annoying? Because the Russian version is religously faithful to the translation of the books in pretty much every aspect except for Sheala's name. That's the reason why always play TW2 in Polish. That "s" just hunts me! :D​​​​​​​

Zyvik;n9759021 said:
Ermion's original name is Myszowor wich was translated as "Mousesack" in the English version of the books and TW1.
Same in German. The English version of his name remains a mystery to me. Perhaps Borys -- or someone else -- figured too many people would be confused by (or giggle at) Mousesack.

I have a funny story concerning the English version. I played TW2 for the first time in English. So when I encountered Sile de Tansarville I had no idea that it was supposed to be Sheala! I was like "Is that Sheala? No way! She looks nothing like the character." And only when they revealed her as a member of the Lodge I finally put two and two together! I have to say it's a strange feeling finding out that the character who you thought was brand new is actually not new at all. Fortunately, I played TW3 in Russian first, so I didn't have the same problem with "Ermion." :D

Zyvik;n9759021 said:
I can provide the context

Thanks for that!

Zyvik;n9759021 said:
Ermion's original name is Myszowor wich was translated as "Mousesack" in the English version of the books and TW1. This is probably one of the weirdest changes since "Ermion" has no meaning and sounds nothing like the original. Plus it created an inconsistency with the first game in wich one of the druids reffered to him as "Mousesack".

I'm at a loss as well. Nothing I can think of from literature...and I cant seem to dig the name's meaning up anywhere. Maybe a really obscure historical reference?

Zyvik;n9759021 said:
"Blackjack" is the translation of Essi Daven's (Dandelion's friend in the books) nickname "Little Eye". Though in this case It's not a delibirate change, but a mistranslation since in Polish those words are spelled similarly.

Heh! How interesting is that? In English, a "blackjack" is a leather club that people use to knock someone out. I always took it to be a play on Dandelion (or "Buttercup" if we translate his Polish name directly, right?): his rival is a slight girl who takes a rather aggressive name to offset herself from the male "Buttercup". I don't remember the story well enough to deal with "Little Eye". Is there, by any chance, a flower called "Essi Daven" in Polish?

Zyvik;n9759021 said:
Sile de Tansarville is another delibirate change. Her original name is Sheala de Tancarville. This change annoys me the most, because for some stupid reason the people behind Russian localization thouth that De Tansarville sounded better than the original name. Why is it so annoying? Because the Russian version is religously faithful to the translation of the books in pretty much every aspect except for Sheala's name. That's the reason why always play TW2 in Polish. That "s" just hunts me!

Absolutely no idea here, either. Does "Tancarville" mean something in Polish / Russian?

Still, I love how changes do sometimes happen arbitrarily. I imagine, in the crunch, writers sometimes need to just pump out pages. I wonder how many of these discrepancies are actually the result of simple rushing.

The translations of Ermion/Mousesack and Essi Daven are among those where it can be seen that some of the other languages were adapted from English, while others from Polish:
Polish: Myszowór, Essi Daven zwana Oczko
German: Mäussack, Essi "Äuglein" Daven
French: Sac-à-souris, Essi "Petit-Œil" Daven
Czech: Myšilov, Essi “Očko” Daven
Russian: Мышовур, Эсси Давен по прозвищу Глазок

English: Ermion, Essi "Blackjack" Daven
Spanish: Armiño, Essi "Cachiporra" Daven (cachiporra = blackjack)
Hungarian: Ermion, Essi „Furkós” Daven (furkós = club, the meaning of blackjack like in the Thief games)
Italian: Ermellino, Essi "Blackjack" Daven

SigilFey;n9760541 said:
I don't remember the story well enough to deal with "Little Eye".

One of her eyes is constantly hidden by her hair hence the Little Eye.

Absolutely no idea here, either. Does "Tancarville" mean something in Polish / Russian?

I believe Tancarville is some french town. But I have no knowledge about its etimolgy.

By the way I read on some forum that the reason why Russian localization changed her surname is because "Tancarville" sounds too similar to the word "tanker". If true then it's kinda ironic because the pronounciation of her first name was also changed in Russian due to its resemblence with the word "shilo" (awl). So we pronounce her name as She-ah-la instead. So yeah, poor woman's first and last names were butchered in Russia ​

.Spanish: Armiño, Essi "Cachiporra" Daven (cachiporra = blackjack)

Oh no! How could Spain get it wrong? They got the books even before France did!

Last edited:
sv3672;n9760601 said:
The translations of Ermion/Mousesack and Essi Daven are among those where it can be seen that some of the other languages were adapted from English, while others from Polish:
Polish: Myszowór, Essi Daven zwana Oczko
German: Mäussack, Essi "Äuglein" Daven
French: Sac-à-souris, Essi "Petit-Œil" Daven
Czech: Myšilov, Essi “Očko” Daven
Russian: Мышовур, Эсси Давен по прозвищу Глазок

English: Ermion, Essi "Blackjack" Daven
Spanish: Armiño, Essi "Cachiporra" Daven (cachiporra = blackjack)
Hungarian: Ermion, Essi „Furkós” Daven (furkós = club, the meaning of blackjack like in the Thief games)
Italian: Ermellino, Essi "Blackjack" Daven

This makes me think it was Sapkowski's direct input. Maybe something he wishes he had done in the original manuscript?

Zyvik;n9760731 said:
One of her eyes is constantly hidden by her hair hence the Little Eye.

Ohhh... that's perfectly plausible. A detail I don't remember, though. :( (Must re-read all the books. Then Wheel of Time, again.)

Zyvik;n9760731 said:
By the way I read on some forum that the reason why Russian localization changed her surname is because "Tancarville" sounds too similar to the word "tanker". If true then it's kinda ironic because the pronounciation of her first name was also changed in Russian due to it's resemblence with the word "shilo" (awl). So we pronounce her name as She-ah-la instead. So yeah, poor woman's first and last names were butchered in Russia ​

This I completely understand. Phonetics are brutal when trying to establish tone between languages.

Zyvik;n9760731 said:
Oh no! How could Spain get it wrong? They got the books even before France did!

They didn't get it wrong, apparently! :cool: Everyone else followed suit!

Riven-Twain;n9759031 said:
...too many people would be confused by (or giggle at) Mousesack.

I am not denying that I failed to prevent myself from snickering at "Mousesack". (But I also mentally alluded to the medieval custom of gathering dead rodents in sacks for easy disposal. Once I was done giggling. Giggles first.)

Last edited:
Zyvik;n9760731 said:
I believe Tancarville is some french town.
Located in Normandy, this town takes its title from the masculine personal name Tancred, or Tankrad, (from a noble Norman family, the specifics of which probably needn't concern us too much here), which, in turn, derives from Germanic thank (thought) + rad (counsel, or advice). Tancarville, is 'Tancred's estate'. It is interesting to note that the etymology of the personal name Tancred fits quite appropriately for a sorceress.

Last edited:
Riven-Twain;n9760901 said:
Located in Normandy, this town takes its title from the masculine personal name Tancred, or Tankrad, (from a noble Norman family, the specifics of which probably needn't concern us too much here), which, in turn, derives from Germanic thank (thought) + rad (counsel, or advice). Tancarville, is 'Tancred's estate'. It is interesting to note that the etymology of the personal name Tancred fits quite appropriately for a sorceress.

Wow. I never thought there's a connection between Tancarville and Tancred! That's very fitting considering that Prince Tancred became her ward in the books.

I remembered some other book characters who's names were changed in English. Gar (one of Crinfrid Reavers) became "Desbrut". There are also characters who's names were anglicized. Jan Natalis became John and Sabrina's ansestor Jada Glevissig became Jade

SigilFey;n9760861 said:
I also mentally alluded to the medieval custom of gathering dead rodents in sacks for easy disposal
They also rather enjoyed stuffing cats into bags, but for different reasons. . .

Zyvik;n9760971 said:
I never thought there's a connection between Tancarville and Tancred! That's very fitting considering that Prince Tancred became her ward in the books.
Rather a clever detail, eh?

Zyvik;n9761081 said:
Now I really want to learn more about some of his names etimlogy.
Interesting that you should happen to mention this. By coincidence, I've been working on a little informal etymological (or onomastic) study of some of the more interesting names in the game series (haven't extended it to the books yet). Perhaps I'll post a few of my findings somewhere around here. . .

Zyvik;n9760731 said:
If true then it's kinda ironic because the pronounciation of her first name was also changed in Russian due to its resemblence with the word "shilo" (awl).

Yeah, then I suppose Letho (Лето) doesn't sound like "summer" at all :) I'd rather her be called "Shilo" as it'd suit her personality quite well, but summer, that guy looks too chilly to be that

iCake;n9761511 said:
Yeah, then I suppose Letho (Лето) doesn't sound like "summer" at all :) I'd rather her be called "Shilo" as it'd suit her personality quite well, but summer, that guy looks too chilly to be that

lol good point! His name always weirded me out in Russian.

Top Bottom