x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Witcher 3 signposts meaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witcher 3 signposts meaning

Just found out something funny when you try to decipher what is written on the signposts

Click image for larger version

Name:	witcher 3 signposts meaning.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	9722251

I just "translated" these ones but I'd bet there are more like this in the world.

Is this using the simple substitution cypher?
    If so, where did you get all the letters from?

P.S. It doesn't look like the spelling check for this reply box has the word "cypher" in it.

Comment

Originally posted by slothman32 View Post
      If there is not already a reference on a wiki or elsewhere, most of the letters can be found out from pictures where their meaning is already known, like this world map.

Comment

Originally posted by slothman32 View Post
        Yes, this is just substituting the letters from the font they used to their latin alphabet equivalent.
        I used this font as a reference : Glagolica Missal DPG (http://www.nenad.bplaced.net/doku.php/en:glagolmissal you can download it at the bottom of the page). It looks pretty similar to the one CD Projekt used in game.

Comment

Heh heh heh heh heh...

I love this game.
          People always ask me, "What's in the box?" I get the question a lot. "Come on -- what's in the box!?" I won't tell them...but I'll tell you. Go on.
          You can see what's IN THE BOX!!!

Comment

'Keep off the grass.' Hah. Rather clever.
            'Sorry, but smashing barrels is one of my hobbies!'

Forewarned is forearmed. Therefore, to reduce chances of random encounters with the Guards, please, be acquainted with and follow the Forums' Regulations. Thank you.

Comment

Monsters can wait, signpost hunting is more important now. They always did look suspicious with their weird text...

Thanks for sharing the info!

Comment

It's not really a cypher. It's normally using transliteration of English with Glagolitic alphabet. It was done in TW1 and TW2 as well. There are different variations and styles of the actual script used in all three games. Try reading many other posters, signs and inscriptions. They usually don't match what subtitles show for them.

Example.

If you'll have time to read some of these, please add info to the community wiki for everyone's benefit.

By the way, for example of real cypher used in the games, see:

https://witcher.gamepedia.com/Ancient_manuscript
                https://witcher.gamepedia.com/Encrypted_document
                Last edited by Gilrond-i-Virdan; 25-10-17, 08:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post
                  t's not really a cypher. It's normally using transliteration of English with Glagolitic alphabet. It was done in TW1 and TW2 as well. There are different variations and styles of the actual script used in all three games. Try reading many other posters, signs and inscriptions. They usually don't match what subtitles show for them.
                  I'm pretty sure it's just background, aesthetic touches that double as easter eggs, strictly for giggles. Nearly 5 playthroughs...and I never considered it.

By the way, for example of real cypher used in the games, see:
                  https://witcher.gamepedia.com/Ancient_manuscript https://witcher.gamepedia.com/Encrypted_document
                  I like stuff like that -- especially when it's meaningful to gameplay / lore to translate. (I also miss the "runes" from the old Ultima games. Perhaps it's "annoying" to the majority of players, but I found it very so immersive.)
                  People always ask me, "What's in the box?" I get the question a lot. "Come on -- what's in the box!?" I won't tell them...but I'll tell you. Go on.

Comment

I wonder what various notes on the noticeboards actually say. The text there is quite small, so it's hard to reconstruct it.

Comment

I wonder what various notes on the noticeboards actually say. The text there is quite small, so it's hard to reconstruct it.
                      'If you can read this, you're too close.', perhaps?
                      'Sorry, but smashing barrels is one of my hobbies!'

Forewarned is forearmed. Therefore, to reduce chances of random encounters with the Guards, please, be acquainted with and follow the Forums' Regulations. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Riven-Twain View Post
                        'If you can read this, you're too close.', perhaps?
                        Heh. I might try zooming some of them and reconstructing the letters.

Comment

The one for the "establishment" Dandelion inherits probably says:

Bun in the Oven
                          Brothel and Bakery
                          (Free butter...either way.)

Comment

skacikpl : Do you know where to find images for noticeboard notes? There seem to be only three distinct images (or may be boards are random and there are more):

Is there some way to extract them? I'd like to reconstruct the text, but when they are on the board, most letters are ineligible.
                            Last edited by Gilrond-i-Virdan; 26-10-17, 21:38.

Comment

There are two styles of Glagolitic. Round and angular. Games use both in different cases:

Last edited by Gilrond-i-Virdan; 26-10-17, 21:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X