[MOD Question] Jump down mechanics

+
[MOD Question] Jump down mechanics

Since I have seen, and used mods that changed combat styles of Geralt, potion drinking animation and other such animations. Has anyone made an actual jump down mechanic for Geralt like he dose in TW2 or like all the NPCs can do in TW3?

Bad Wolf

This topic already came up, would be cool to have such a mechanic, but tbh it wouldn't be very usefull, just cool.

spoxox;n10545092 said:
This topic already came up, would be cool to have such a mechanic, but tbh it wouldn't be very useful, just cool.

It would actually be quite useful, considering that it could be paired up with a mod to reduce fall damage. If your Geralt or Ciri needs to jump down off a ledge that would give you full fall damage, but if hanging on the ledge with your hands can reduce the fall damage. Some don't want to use the mod of no fall damage but doesn't think it's right that you get fall damage if the drop is Geralt's body length+half length (if that is the correct formula for calculating fall damage), when a jump down animation could lesson the fall damage.

DontBlnkBadWolf;n10599272 said:
It would actually be quite useful, considering that it could be paired up with a mod to reduce fall damage. If your Geralt or Ciri needs to jump down off a ledge that would give you full fall damage, but if hanging on the ledge with your hands can reduce the fall damage. Some don't want to use the mod of no fall damage but doesn't think it's right that you get fall damage if the drop is Geralt's body length+half length (if that is the correct formula for calculating fall damage), when a jump down animation could lesson the fall damage.

Still how would you want to implement it? You would have to add a interaction option to all ledges, or make a custom animation that can be activated only when you're near a clif or ledge! That is probably impossibe or very hard to do :(

It can be implemented like the climb. Actually digging onto the NPC mechanics when they have to stop at a ledge to turn around and hang before they let go to drop to the next ledge/floor, could be a place to start. But that is my best guess on how to implement it.

Hmmm. We certainly know the animation of the action is present for NPCs.

I've no idea whether this would actually be possible (since I've never looked into something like this), but, perhaps, there could be a way to link the action to the length of time one holds the jump key at the brink of a ledge? Since the climbing-up/catching mechanic is triggered by holding jump a bit longer, perhaps there could be some way to reverse it for climbing down? I'm not sure how difficult it would prove, and investigation this would certainly require someone with more experience than I have, but it's an idea, at least.

Riven-Twain;n10603412 said:
I've no idea whether this would actually be possible (since I've never looked into something like this), but, perhaps, there could be a way to link the action to the length of time one holds the jump key at the brink of a ledge? Since the climbing-up/catching mechanic is triggered by holding jump a bit longer, perhaps there could be some way to reverse it for climbing down? I'm not sure how difficult it would prove, and investigation this would certainly require someone with more experience than I have, but it's an idea, at least. 'Sorry, but smashing barrels

This could maybe work, but than Geralt would jump first, and thus jumping down the ledge, than the animation would play, so idk if that's a good idea.

spoxox;n10604042 said:
This could maybe work, but than Geralt would jump first, and thus jumping down the ledge, than the animation would play, so idk if that's a good idea.

Not if the mechanics come from an NPC. I wonder if the NPCs have a built in mechanic to keep them from falling off a ledge, if so, then that code could be appropriated to work on Geralt. Thus, keeping him from falling off the ledge no matter if the player is trying to fall off or not. Unless the player is a short distance from said ledge. If the player is far enough back, they could still jump off the ledge into the water, for example, to commit the diving motion.

I am, by no means, an expert or a beginner in the world of coding. I am an idea man, others tell me if I am on the right path or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom