Where is the data on skill points per skill branch located?

+
Where is the data on skill points per skill branch located?

I wonder if I could get a little assistance? I am trying to merge a couple of mods, both of which deal with the skill screen; one of them changes the number of slots, the other the number of skill points to unlock the lower tiers of branches (Slot slots slots and FCR3 respectively). I got them about as far as running together with the script merger, but it appears which ever mod I have first in the sequence appears to over-write the other in actual operation of the skills screen.

So, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of which files the numbers for the skill branches were located (I looked in PlayerAbilityManager.ws and didn't find anything obvious)? I don't really have much of an idea where to start looking, but if I knew that, then I might be able to tweak the former with the latter's numbers manually myself.

(Edit: clarification: I mean for the numbers of skill points required in a branch to unlock the next tier (e.g. in FCR3 6/12/18 and 10/20/30 I think in vanilla), not the actual amount of skill points the character has spent.)

Last edited:
The required skill points for each tier is not in a script file, but in a bundled xml file named "geralt_skills.xml".

acbatchelor;n10549122 said:
The required skill points for each tier is not in a script file, but in a bundled xml file named "geralt_skills.xml".

Right.Ta.

So, next stupid question (as I can't see an XML file in the mod itself), which bundled file is that XML present in and which of the mod utilities do I need to unpack it?

AotrsCommander You don't need to worry about that xml. SSS does not modify it. That can't be where the conflict is.

The only thing that will conflict is panel_character.redswf
FCR3 modifies it to change the value displayed under each lock icon.
SSS modifies it to add the buttons for the tabs.

The xml holds the needed values (points) for each skill, and the swf is just hardcoded with a value per row for each tab, which is independent from the xml.

You only need to set the .redswf from SSS to a higher priority than FCR3.
That will however result in incorrect values on the padlocks in the panel but that is just a visual thing.
Scripts can be merged using KDiff (Script merger).

Last edited:
Lim3zer0;n10553302 said:
AotrsCommander You don't need to worry about that xml. SSS does not modify it. That can't be where the conflict is.

The only thing that will conflict is panel_character.redswf
FCR3 modifies it to change the value displayed under each lock icon.
SSS modifies it to add the buttons for the tabs.

The xml holds the needed values (points) for each skill, and the swf is just hardcoded with a value per row for each tab, which is independent from the xml.

You only need to set the .redswf from SSS to a higher priority than FCR3.
That will however result in incorrect values on the padlocks in the panel but that is just a visual thing.
Scripts can be merged using KDiff (Script merger).

Ah! Right. Thanks, I wouldn't have known that! I just naively assumed that the game would pull the displays from the data files, rather than have them in two places (one for the mechanics, one for the interface). (I imagine there's terribly good programming reasons why it doesn't, starting, one suspects, with the game not having to check to update them or something.)

I had already gotten everything else merged and working (and with the mods running in question, I actually found being strategic with what I merged worked better than trying to merge everything!), and the skill values was the only thing that appeared to be wrong. But you're telling that it's just the display on the screen that's "wrong", but the actual values used by FCR3 (i.e. 6/12/18) are still being used? I'll certainly give it another go when I have some skill points available, then, (since it's simply a matter of me copy-pasting the mod folders I had, as they say, prepared earlier back into the Mods folder).

(I suppose I one could look at faffing about with the .redswf, but that seems like that would be quite a bit more effort for the sake of it for someone who (obviously!) only has a very basic grasp of modding and programming.)

If you would like me to I can create a merged redswf for you.
i'm very familiar working with these files.

Lim3zer0;n10554462 said:
If you would like me to I can create a merged redswf for you.
i'm very familiar working with these files.

That's very kind of you to offer! Though I'm not sure I would know exactly how to put it in! I'm extrapolating that the .redswf files must be part of or accessed/referenced by the blob0.bundle and metadata.store files (on the basis those are the non-script files that SSS and FCR3 have in common), so I would presume I would need to unzip one of those with one of the various tools and copy the .redswf file there?

Edit: Actually, having booted up and having levelled up and put SSS in, yeah, it really is just the number under the padlock that's "wrong," so I think it's probabaly not worth the effort for a pretty minor, essentially cosmetic glitch. (Just mousing over a skill shows the correct number of skill points required to unlock.) Thanks for the offer, though!

Last edited:
Top Bottom