x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Visuals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Visuals

Soon to return to W3 in 2018. But I fear the graphics may feel outdated and or not so desireable anymore.

What are the best visual enhancing mods that can really push the PC:

i7-5930K @ 4.5 GHz
    4x 4GB HyperX DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
    2x ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Thanks.

HD Reworked Project
    Next Gen Stones and Miscellaneous
    Increased Draw Distance Mod
    Extended View Distance Mod
    Animals and Monsters Hairworks Wind Effect
    Better FX
    Brutal Blood
    Roach Gallop Dust
    Hair LOD Mod (also download the Geralt Hair and Geralt Beard LOD increase files)
    Igni and Yrden Lightsource
    Ice Breath for Skellige
    Volumetric Clouds over Skellige
    The Legendary Viper - pick one of those
    Viper Armor HD Chainmail
    Supreme to Extreme Graphics Options
    High-Res Character Shadows and Lip Movement

are the main graphics-boosting mods that don't overly change the game's visual presentation, but enhance it. Some particle effects mods are way too over the top, which is why I like Better FX - it blends in quite nicely for the most part.

Optional ones are:
    More Shadows
    More Shadows for Toussaint
    and a lighting mod of your choice, such as STLM 3.2, Wiedzmin Lighting Mod, E3 Lighting Mod, Lighting Deluxe 3.0... unfortunately, not all of these lighting mods work flawlessly, and even the more popular ones such as STLM apparently have some issues.

Comment

Nothing of that except Supreme to Extreme Graphics really pushes your pc.

Comment

Yeah, set cascade shadow resolution to 8192 for the most Carnage. Brings my rig to it's knees.

Comment

https://youtu.be/W1t8TG6q0jU

This is my personal set-up, I am very happy with it. The biggest impact is from the lighting combo you can find in the comments.
          Full mod list is in the description.

If you want to see how it all looks throughout the game I have the playthrough uploaded up until Novigrad so you can take a look at the different areas.

Comment

Originally posted by GregorWladacz View Post
            Nothing of that except Supreme to Extreme Graphics really pushes your pc.
            True, but I thought he was going for the best overall visuals in Witcher 3, not what mods have the biggest impact on FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by MonarchX View Post
              Yeah, set cascade shadow resolution to 8192 for the most Carnage. Brings my rig to it's knees.
              Yes, with 2x 1080Ti he can run that quite smoothly I'd guess. My single 1080Ti could run it as well, but not with maxed out graphics at 1440p 60FPS. My FPS drop into the 30s at times with 8K shadows. However, 8K shadows give you the option of turning your CascadeShadowDistanceScale0 to 4 without visibly losing shadow quality.

Either use Supreme to Extreme Graphics Options mod, or modify your user settings file like this:

CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=0.5
              CascadeShadowMapSize=8192
              CascadeShadowQuality=4
              CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=4
              CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=4
              CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=3
              CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=2

Comment

So this cascadeshadow thing, how much of an improvement does it make. Has anyone got some screenshots?

Comment

You will notice it immediately. Just run around with Geralt in vanilla, and look for shadows. About 3-5 meters in front of Geralt, you'll see the shadows switching from lower quality to a higher quality. If you change CascadeShadowDistanceScale0 to a higher number, it moves that invisible line in the sand of the very close high-res shadows where it switches between different shadow qualities further away from Geralt. However, it also reduces your shadow quality because it "stretches" the available shadows you have, so you gotta increase the shadow resolution.

I have it at CSDS0 at 2 (wish I could have it at 4, but that would require 8K shadows which my 1080Ti can't handle at 60FPS) and 4K shadows, which seems to be good.
                  With your insane rig with two 1080Ti, I would go for what I posted above. Your machine should be capable of handling 8K shadows and CSDS0 at 4.
                  Please note: You can't just change these values willy nilly to whatever values you want. You can enter whatever you want, but only certain values will be actually accepted and displayed.

I recommend these two resources:
                  https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...tweaking-guide
                  https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...the-pc-version

You can find sections to shadow tweaks in both links. Again, for your machine, just try the values I posted above. If they are too hard on performance for you, use these instead:

CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=0.5
                  CascadeShadowMapSize=4096
                  CascadeShadowQuality=2
                  CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=2
                  CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=2

I'm not too sure about CascadeShadowQuality. It doesn't seem to do anything from what I could see in testing. I've seen the screenshots from the nVidia tweaking guide, but in that comparison, CSQuality set to 4 actually looked worse than 1. So I set it to 2 and that's that. Maybe someone more knowledgable could chime in on that one. But you're gonna be fine with either of those settings I posted. Just pick the ones that fit you better in terms of performance.
                  Last edited by PloughEnthusiast; 20-05-18, 02:41.

Comment

CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=0.1
                    CascadeShadowMapSize=8192
                    CascadeShadowQuality=6
                    CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=16
                    CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=8
                    CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=4

or at least

CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=0.1
                    CascadeShadowMapSize=6144
                    CascadeShadowQuality=6
                    CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=8
                    CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=4

is what I prefer, but each level has its own shadow settings (w2s files) and the settings above look good in Novigrad/Velen, but in Kaer Morhen you would get blocky shadows. I get sub-40fps with all the mods and 8192 resolution for cascade shadows on my GTX 1080 Ti rig @ 1080p...

Comment

OK thanks for all the suggestions.

I am only interested in these mods so far:

-HD Reworked Project
                      -High-Res Character Shadows and Lip Movement
                      -Supreme to Extreme Graphics Options
                      -The Legendary Viper
                      -Volumetric Clouds over Skellige
                      -Brutal Blood
                      -Better FX
                      -Compilations
                      -Improved Sign FX
                      -Extended View Distance Mod
                      -Increased Draw Distance Mod
                      -Next Gen Stones and Miscellaneous
                      -More Shadows

So would anyone know if they would all be compatible with Ghost Mod?

Comment

narrn001
                        Jup, completely compatible. You'll still need to run Script Merger though. And maybe Mod Merger if for nothing else than to increase load times.

Comment

Skip ALL COMPILATION mods and all mods by the same author! They have an epic ton of errors, are not cooked correctly, offer very little improvement, cannot be merged most of the time, and they do not represent what the author described. Skip Ultra HD mod too for similar reasons.

Have you noticed how HD Reworked Project shows comparison of vanilla to his mod's textures? COMPILATION author does not...

COMPILATION and mods by same author simply sharpen some textures and that is useful if you can isolate them from all the broken textures. For that, you would have to learn how to uncook, get rid of some 100's of files, re-cook, etc. I use some 450MB of custom-selected textures from all of his mods, but I can't upload them due to need of permission from the author who abandoned his mods and left strict permission requirements.

Comment

You should also look into Ignition Project if you like fire .

Comment

Originally posted by MonarchX View Post
                              Skip ALL COMPILATION mods and all mods by the same author! They have an epic ton of errors, are not cooked correctly, offer very little improvement, cannot be merged most of the time, and they do not represent what the author described. Skip Ultra HD mod too for similar reasons.

Have you noticed how HD Reworked Project shows comparison of vanilla to his mod's textures? COMPILATION author does not...

COMPILATION and mods by same author simply sharpen some textures and that is useful if you can isolate them from all the broken textures. For that, you would have to learn how to uncook, get rid of some 100's of files, re-cook, etc. I use some 450MB of custom-selected textures from all of his mods, but I can't upload them due to need of permission from the author who abandoned his mods and left strict permission requirements.
                              Eh, 1.0 is pretty good imo.
                              The eye mods included especially so.

Comment

Working...
                              X