x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Tutorial] Sound Extraction and basic modding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Tutorial] Sound Extraction and basic modding

Hey guys,

as stated in another thread I'm experimenting with sound modding in TW3.
    I figured out some basic things I'd like to share with you. I plan to update this thread with new information how to mod sound in the game.
    1. Extracting sound files
      • First of all you need to extract the audio files provides in the content folders. Navigate to <game dir>\content. You find several folders which contain a file "soundspc.cache". That's what we are looking for. Copy these to a folder somewhere else.
      • In order to acces the files in the archives you need to download quickbms
        Extract the soundspc.cache files using the provided witcher3.bms script. You get a bunch of .wem and .bnk files. These are soundbanks from Audiokinetic WWise. The problem is. you can't really work with these files.

2. .wem file type
      To my understanding these files are directly streamed to the game. They are used for e.g. music and background tunes. Download ww2ogg and revorb.exe as ww2ogg does not produce correct granulepos.

Example:

First execute ww2ogg on a file using the provides codebook:

ww2ogg 4227130.wem --pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin

It will generate a .ogg file. Use revorb.exe to fix this file. This files will actually be playable in an audio player.

revorb.exe 4227130.ogg 4227130_fix.ogg

3. .bnk file type
      These are soundbanks, containing multiple .wem audio files. Download the latest bnkextr to unpack .bnk files.

Example:

Usage:

bnkextr combat.bnk

Apply the upper tools on the resulting .wem files to get audio files to work with.

4. Converting back to .wem and .bnk and cook
      TODO... will be updated

Thought you might find this useful. More info to come.
    Last edited by biosmanager; 24-08-15, 00:29.

Did you succesfully imported a sound to the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordek113
      Did you succesfully imported a sound to the game?
      I'm on it. Now I have files to work with. I see no problem re-importing the games with adequate converting. The real issue is to match the extracted audio files with specific events/triggers in-game. Extraction of the soundbanks deliver files like 0001, 0002, ...

Comment

Originally posted by biosmanager
        I'm on it. Now I have files to work with. I see no problem re-importing the games with adequate converting. The real issue is to match the extracted audio files with specific events/triggers in-game. Extraction of the soundbanks deliver files like 0001, 0002, ...
        The easiest way to check if this is gonna work is replacing a well-known music with another one.

sfx\music\kaermorhen\q403\tw3_hunt_or_be_hunted_chasing_edit_02_percussion_c148adce.wem

Here is a path to "Hunt or be hunted". You don't even have to extract other files, just import that one with another = custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordek113
          The easiest way to check if this is gonna work is replacing a well-known music with another one.

sfx\music\kaermorhen\q403\tw3_hunt_or_be_hunted_chasing_edit_02_percussion_c148adce.wem

Here is a path to "Hunt or be hunted". You don't even have to extract other files, just import that one with another = custom.
          When is this file being played? So your idea is basically to "overwrite/replace" an existing file with another?
          For the file/in-game association: Do you have any idea where to lookup which file will be played? Is sound triggered by scripts?

Comment

Originally posted by biosmanager
            When is this file being played? So your idea is basically to "overwrite/replace" an existing file with another?
            For the file/in-game association: Do you have any idea where to lookup which file will be played? Is sound triggered by scripts?
            Yeah I think so. You can check "sound.ws" in content0\scripts\engine\sounds\. Some sounds are triggered by this script

Also, you can find all sound paths in uncooked\soundbanks\pc\soundbankinfo.xml
            Last edited by Mordek113; 24-08-15, 00:34.

Comment

very interesting, thanks

Comment

Did anyone ever figure this out?

Comment

i found this: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/974/?
                  i thought maybe it'd help

Comment

Is everyone mostly waiting on a better toolkit?

I'm at the same point, where I can convert a few files to .wav, but not sure how to get them back into the game. As far as I can tell, the soundbanksinfo.xml file references file names with words, like "reaction_crowds_when_bear_attack.wav" and "reaction_crowds_when_bear_attack_2021b791.wem". The wem files I'm getting are entirely numerical.

Comment

Maybe this is because all these wem files are part of a soundbank (.bnk). Maybe those actual filenames are references in the soundbank.

Comment

Attempts to extract sounds has been unsuccessful, I can't seem to figure it out. Nothing will extract from soundspc.cache. other tools like witcher mod kit uncooked things but sounds seemed missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Strazyplus
                          Attempts to extract sounds has been unsuccessful, I can't seem to figure it out. Nothing will extract from soundspc.cache. other tools like witcher mod kit uncooked things but sounds seemed missing.
                          Use QuickBMS, also you should probably give this thread a look.

Comment

I have been trying that however have been unsuccessful as well. although making it more difficult when no error logs are given.

Comment

Originally posted by Strazyplus
                              I have been trying that however have been unsuccessful as well. although making it more difficult when no error logs are given.
                              What step do you have problems with? Unpacking the "soundspc.cache"-files with QuickBMS or something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X